Feeling attracted to female workers in another department

jean-luc sisko

I feel physically attracted to workers in another department. Is sleeping with people from work a bad idea, or is that just a pop culture myth?

JohnnyBlaze

A lot of it depends on how closely your departments work together. If, professionally, you have little to do with each other, then you're relatively safe while the relationship is going. If you work closely together, there could be an appearance of impropriety.

However, if/when the relationship ends, be prepared. The rumor mill will kick into overdrive. If you're in a position of importance, it may cause problems with regards to bonuses/advancement. If you're not, you'll just get looks from people. Rumors and gossip spread just as quickly at a company as they did in 4th grade.

It's generally not recommended. That hasn't stopped me, mind you, but it's not considered wise.

There's a lot of metaphors people use.... don't dip your pen in the company ink, etc.

I don't think that idea would be so prevalent if there wasn't truth to it.

I was in a long term relationship with a guy who works for a completely different company, but we both take care of the same major client and occasionally I had to work with him on solutions for our customer. Since we've split up we've been able to remain professional the few times we've had to interact, but it was *really* awkward.

At best, if things go sour that's what you'll be dealing with -- awkwardness. At worst, your entire personal life could become company gossip.