Anyone ever worked for a cruise line?

EYECANDY000

I have been saying that I want to work for a cruiseline for the longest. I have always had excuses which has kept me here. a few years ago, my friend and I applied for one of the cruiselines and go offered a job and had a ship date. well when that date came, I backed out, said I wasnt ready to commit myself to a 6 month term out the country. said I didnt want to be away from my dog.

Well now, I am broken up with my bf and dont really have any ties and I am considereing it again. I have worked as a flight attendant, Ive worked a few weeks on a train, and didnt like it. and Ive worked on a boat , but it only sailed on the lake.

Does anyone have pros and cons about working on a cruiseline? Ive submitted my application and I noticed that it says it takes 4-6 weeks to process info. Hopefully I will still be intrested by that time.

unless I was captain of the ship it seems like a lame HARD job.

+1.

I talked with a masseuse who was giving me a massage about working on a cruise ship, and she said that it can be tough at times. You're working very very long hours, having to deal with customers all the time, and spending months at a time away from friends and family. Most cruise line employees work for several months on the ship, then have a few weeks/months off to be at home, and then come back to work after their time off.

On the other hand, she also said that you make some great friends within the crew while you're working on the ship. Unfortunately, crew are always rotating in and out, so you'll only be with them for a few months, only to see them leave to go on break or to another ship. She said that was one of the toughest parts of the job...seeing friends she'd made come and go...

My friend has decided to work for a popular cruise line.

I sent her the good and bad but she wants to experience it.

Be prepared for 10-12 hour work days 7 days a week for 5 months .

Be prepared to share a cabin with 4 girls that is 400 square feet.

Be prepared for low wages . She is going to earn half of what she made an hour and I mean half .

The plus side is you get to travel but you can't port unless its your time off..

You can't associate with the guests in any shape or form.

You get meals and a room so there is an opportunity to save money.

I could never do this job but some can ...

Some of the major cruise lines actually want you to socialize with the guest. Its a way to keep temperments at a minimal when at sea. The friendlier associates keep the morale going. Bare in mind that professional friendliness does not equate to Private times...Stay social.

Yes you are required to room with others. You are not always on perpetual shifts, you can actually be on ship and have a full day to yourself when in port. Your health and safety should be prime. You'll be required to know CPR, Swim, and Run to assist during evacuation drills. Some cruise lines pay fairly decent contingent on the Title you will hold. Here is the positives: Freedom.

Low cost of living. Lotsa excersise! Negative: If you get sea sick...Then think twice. Most employees get burn out after two years....SO its not a life long career....

• Author
EYECANDY000

Its kind of bittersweet. Like I want to get away for a while, but i dont. Everytime I submit my resume I always say " I hope they dont call back" ... I guess trying to get away because of a break up isnt the best reason to want to do it.