job application question

I've been trying to find a new job. Unfortunately there aren't many film production opportunities in my area, but I'm applying to everything available. Three days ago I emailed an application and nice email to a guy who runs a small video dept affiliated with my University. I've heard that they take on a few paid interns each year, and they're supposed to be a great place to work. Before I sent the email out, I stopped by their office (hoping to catch them in person), but it must have been an off hour because no one was around.

I got a response to my email on Wednesday morning that read: "Shadow, thank you for your interest. I will take and discuss this with my co-worker --- and with --- our dept director."

In the email I also offered to volunteer unpaid if they didn't have any paying positions available. The experience itself is most important to me, since they have great equipment and opportunities.

It's Friday afternoon and I haven't heard back. I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to stop by their office on Monday if I still haven't? Or should I just wait it out? My reasoning is that I've noticed talking with people about jobs in person seems to better your chances.

What do you guys think?

Shadow,I'm in the same position as you are. I've interviewed ,sent my thank you's and I have also followed up but they are keeping their cards close to the chest. I'm on pins and needles because like you its a job I really want.

I waited about a week after my interview and thank you's to follow up. Perhaps you should give them till Monday. It seems that there is a thin line between being percieved as a go getter and seeming desperate. Someone put it into perspective for me today...they said that I should remember that hiring is not he only thing on my decision makers plate and that they still have their normal day to day to deal with.

Best of luck.

In the email I also offered to volunteer unpaid if they didn't have any paying positions available. The experience itself is most important to me, since they have great equipment and opportunities.

For starters, I think applying for a job PLUS telling them you would work for free was a mistake; you have completely devalued yourself by offering yourself for nothing. That shows desperation on your part and makes me, as an employer, less likely to want you even around. Sorry for being honest about that.

I got a response to my email on Wednesday morning that read: "Shadow, thank you for your interest. I will take and discuss this with my co-worker --- and with --- our dept director."

It's Friday afternoon and I haven't heard back. I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to stop by their office on Monday if I still haven't? Or should I just wait it out? My reasoning is that I've noticed talking with people about jobs in person seems to better your chances.

Secondly, you applied Wednesday. Give them at least a week to respond. I wouldn't do anything today -- in fact, NEVER contact businesses on Mondays; standard sales instruction. People are too busy on Mondays trying to catch up from weekend issues.

Secondly, you applied Wednesday. Give them at least a week to respond. I wouldn't do anything today -- in fact, NEVER contact businesses on Mondays; standard sales instruction. People are too busy on Mondays trying to catch up from weekend issues.

Your totally right on this Carrie.

Peaceful Guy

What do you guys think?

i think you're being smart about this! ive got the same style when it comes to getting hired and it works!

that's great! i think that's a good sign!

i think this was smart too. the experience is MUCH more valuble than the money at this point.. which means even if you don't get the paid position you'll still likely get experience and future opportunties, which is a very real thing! if you're in a field, do a good job, and are easy to work/get along with, people will want to work with you!

It's Friday afternoon and I haven't heard back. I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to stop by their office on Monday if I still haven't?

sure! monday, tuesday.. you might be working with these people, so they shouldn't be irked by your presence! :laugh: if they have'nt made a decision yet they'll give you a better time to try back. remember, these guys are film production guys, which means at one point they were in your shoes.. they'll help you out any way they can and probably think highly of you for coming in to see them.. unless they're total jerks of course, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

My reasoning is that I've noticed talking with people about jobs in person seems to better your chances.

definitely! make it easy for them to hire you! :cool:

What do you guys think?

again, i think that your instincts are in the right place one this one! have fun! :)

also, be polite when you go to talk to them! "hi, my name's shadowfox, i sent you an email about.." good luck! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
shadowplay

Update.

Well I did exactly what CarrieT adviced me NOT to do, and got the job/internship. They were very impressed with my qualifications, and my proactivity in following up in person. I'm meeting with them tomorrow to discuss the details. Unfortunately, it's not clear whether it will be paid over the summer (though it will in the fall), but I'm still happy to have the experience since they're a good organization.

alphamale
What do you guys think?

you should show up in person on monday wearing a low-cut top and a tight mini skirt. that should help your chances.

Peaceful Guy
you should show up in person on monday wearing a low-cut top and a tight mini skirt. that should help your chances.

:laugh::laugh::p im here for the film position, i can be flexible.. :laugh: