Dating in the workplace - letting management know

thisdayforward

I got hired recently at the same company at which my now ex works. In the interview, I didn't disclose our relationship....just didn't feel like talking about my love life in an interview. Now I just got my location assignment, and it turns out that of the dozen locations in the area, I've been assigned to the one where my ex works!!!

I've e-mailed the placement coordinator to find out when I can talk to him to explain the situation and I'm still waiting on a response. I think it should be fine to reassign me to another location, there are enough of them... but I realize this may be a hassle for them to adjust things...

Should I have said something in the interview about my dating one of their employees? Should I have said something when I got the offer for employment? Am I handling it the best way now by requesting a phone call to explain the concern? Any tips for that phone call?

I got hired recently at the same company at which my now ex works. In the interview, I didn't disclose our relationship....just didn't feel like talking about my love life in an interview. Now I just got my location assignment, and it turns out that of the dozen locations in the area, I've been assigned to the one where my ex works!!!

I've e-mailed the placement coordinator to find out when I can talk to him to explain the situation and I'm still waiting on a response. I think it should be fine to reassign me to another location, there are enough of them... but I realize this may be a hassle for them to adjust things...

Should I have said something in the interview about my dating one of their employees? Should I have said something when I got the offer for employment? Am I handling it the best way now by requesting a phone call to explain the concern? Any tips for that phone call?

as you had already broken up with your ex, I dont think there was much need at all to mention it at the interview, as long as you felt you could be professional, and handle working for the same company as your ex. That you now want to request a relocation because of your ex might not be taken very well by your employers.

Be aware that voicing concerns about working at the same location as an ex may be seen as a bit unprofessional. as you are no longer a couple, they may think you should be able to put your past to the side.

But i totally understand you not wanting to be working at the same place.

Just be careful how you go about it, you dont want to come across as complaining or unprofessional.

Edited by Malenfant

No I don't think you are handling it well. If you are ex's your former relationship is really irrelevant to them. I wouldn't say anything. I think asking to be reassigned over this will look bad for you. If you haven't said anything about your relationship I would just drop it, say you had a question or concern but already to resolved it and you will be at work on xx.

Let me ask... Do you and your ex still get along while you two are at work? And is there any drama that goes on between you two, at work?

If you two still get along and you don't bring any drama into work, I can almost be certain that management will not waste their time with your personal life. However, If there becomes a problem that effects work performance, then yes management will get involved.

But if you two are fine working together and don't bring any personal problems to work, then you have nothing to worry about

No I don't think you are handling it well. If you are ex's your former relationship is really irrelevant to them. I wouldn't say anything. I think asking to be reassigned over this will look bad for you. If you haven't said anything about your relationship I would just drop it, say you had a question or concern but already to resolved it and you will be at work on xx.

^^^ This. Don't start your career with a new company with any drama.