LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Facing potential layoffs and the work environment

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2010, 11:05 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialbyfire View Post
Devil Inside, I agree that it's best not to partake in the backstabbing. But it never hurts to have someone(s) in management rooting for you. If your superiors aren't the enemy, like many employees feel that management is, since slagging management is a national pastime, network as best as you can with both your superiors and within other departments.

The more you get your name out as a good worker and a balanced, no drama individual, the most likely you will be retained.
Back in the day, we partied with all of our management...now there are so many freaking rules that everyone is afraid....ethics, which can be interpreted any way.

I don't know, it's not cool like the way it used to be....we were all friends, now there is a line...yuk

My opinion concerning a truely good manager is that he/she sees his employees as higher than him/her...meaning him/her seeing themselves as a servant to the people.
Old 7th February 2010, 2:28 PM   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureinheart View Post
Back in the day, we partied with all of our management...now there are so many freaking rules that everyone is afraid....ethics, which can be interpreted any way.

I don't know, it's not cool like the way it used to be....we were all friends, now there is a line...yuk

My opinion concerning a truely good manager is that he/she sees his employees as higher than him/her...meaning him/her seeing themselves as a servant to the people.
One of the main reasons you got along with your old management is that they understood what it means to be a manager.

Many managers today, do not fully understand what their role is: you are a facilitator, not a puppet master. Management is not a position of power where you demand that people do what you say, and punish them constantly for more. As a manager, you will only be as successful as your team will let you be.

I made this very clear to my people when I came onboard, and let them know that there is no golden parachute for anyone, including me. If my team fails, I fail. My job is to make sure my team can do their best work (and if not, it is my responsibility to mitigate what is blocking them) so that they can be successful.

Yes, I do remove people from their jobs on occasion - but that only occurs after I have let them all clearly know the rules and expectations of their roles. I personally spend time with every single person on my team to let them know that in no uncertain terms: The health of the overall team is greater than the health of any single individual who chooses to not do what is needed for our success. I also let them clearly know that I would not tolerate people who will directly jeopardize everyone’s future here, and will promptly remove them if they are doing that.

My new team loves this style, and they have been pleased to see bad seeds removed when they would not support their co-workers. I don’t (nor will I ever) claim to have all the answers, but I consistently view my position with a critical eye, and ask myself: Would I be happy working on a team with a manager like myself running it?

I guide my team from the heart, not from the ivory tower.
Blackfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 2:57 PM   #18
Established Member

Thumbs up BlackFrost

BlackFrost you sound like such an amazing Supervisor.

If only we had them like you when we have a severe trouble maker that no-one knows what to do with and everyone is afraid of approaching her .

I like your style !

I don't know alot of women who sit around saying " God I hate men. I would love to rub their testicles in honey and feed them to the ants. " mary3
Mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote