LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

What does this Question mean ?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2010, 10:16 PM   #16
Established Member

In response to Tara's comments:

If it was after 1964 then it WAS illegal as it runs counter to the Title VII Act which was the foundation of all laws addressing discrimination in regards to race, color, sex, and national origin. The Supreme Court had later rulings that broadened and enhanced the policies but this was the first to address it.

If it was prior to 1964, then you are right, and it was considered fair game.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 2:21 AM   #17

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
I'm talking the UK here, not the USA......

The Sexual Discrimination act became Law in 1975 here.
However certain aspects of it, with regard to such questions specifically within employment interviews, were subsequently added.
It's unclear when this would have been illegal, but as far as I can ascertain, legislation regarding employment was decreed in 1990.

But this was in 1988.....

Last edited by TaraMaiden; 15th February 2010 at 2:24 AM..
TaraMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 9:38 PM   #18
Established Member

Really? I am surprised that the Act of 1975 wouldn't have covered employment right from the get go. From my knowledge and research both the US and Canadian Acts both protect against employment discrimination from their conception.

I will have to look that up.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 3:34 AM   #19

Location: Working on a clear blue summer sky, at BuddhaDhammaSangha
I'll have to ask my Legal-Eagle partner to also clarify. I'm happy to be proven wrong...
But I can't turn the clock back now.....
TaraMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 7:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary3 View Post
When an interviewer asks : " What will prevent you from getting this job " ?

What exactly is he saying ?

I interpret it to mean " Is there anything preventing you from getting this job such as babysitters , transportation , ect .

What do you think ?
could be a psychometric test....where people respond to it in different ways..there is no right/wrong to it...

but if you answer it, there will be a follow up question(trap)...answer it carefully with out any contradiction to the initial answer

but for a babysitter, transportation job...i don't know
scorpmale003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 9:52 PM   #21
Established Member

I hire personnel and you can't ask questions that have to do with marital status, children, childcare arrangements, potential pregnancy, anything that would reveal their age, etc.

The lame question is interview techniques 101, and is intended to throw the interviewee off, test their confidence, or get them to list their weaknesses.
txsilkysmoothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 5:57 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary3 View Post
When an interviewer asks : " What will prevent you from getting this job " ?

What exactly is he saying ?

I interpret it to mean " Is there anything preventing you from getting this job such as babysitters , transportation , ect .

What do you think ?
I own my own business and am successful. I simply don't play this crap when I interview a prospective employee. I do not buy into the whole guide line of structured corporate mentallity, it is almost total BS if you ask me. To me, too many HR people have too much time on their hands and need to justify their jobs by coming up with this crap.

When faced with this situation, next time BS them and say "nothing will prevent me from getting this job", this is what they want to hear. Tune them into your total BS department. This is what they are doing to you!Play it and deal with what comes down the road.

Another note. When asked a question, be direct in your answer and no matter how long of a silent pause your prospective employer may have after your answer, sit there in silence. Do not question yourself, do not ramble, PERIOD. This is a stupid corporate mental game. They are waiting for you to screw yourself up. GET IT YET?! If they want you to elaborate on ANYTHING, they will ask you to do so. Then again be direct and don't add to it.

Follow these guidelines and you will stand a better chance.

Good luck to you.
Jeff1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 8:08 PM   #23
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
I own my own business and am successful. I simply don't play this crap when I interview a prospective employee. I do not buy into the whole guide line of structured corporate mentallity, it is almost total BS if you ask me. To me, too many HR people have too much time on their hands and need to justify their jobs by coming up with this crap.

When faced with this situation, next time BS them and say "nothing will prevent me from getting this job", this is what they want to hear. Tune them into your total BS department. This is what they are doing to you!Play it and deal with what comes down the road.

Another note. When asked a question, be direct in your answer and no matter how long of a silent pause your prospective employer may have after your answer, sit there in silence. Do not question yourself, do not ramble, PERIOD. This is a stupid corporate mental game. They are waiting for you to screw yourself up. GET IT YET?! If they want you to elaborate on ANYTHING, they will ask you to do so. Then again be direct and don't add to it.

Follow these guidelines and you will stand a better chance.

Good luck to you.
Thank you so much for your uplifting spirited reply. Its tough out there right now but hopefully things will improve

I don't know alot of women who sit around saying " God I hate men. I would love to rub their testicles in honey and feed them to the ants. " mary3
Mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote