Going back to School...what to study?

Concidering the "current economic situation" my sales manager position of 8 years is coming to an end or so it seems. Let's just say that the writing is on the walls.So with that I am concidering a return to school.

My question is this...If you were to return to school what area of study would you focus on/major in? I've been so focused the last few years in keeping people employed and the company afloat that I feel that I have lost touch with what careers are now relevant.

Bottom line is that I will have to get new job regardless to pay for school but I want to lessen my chances of being in this position again.

Because of your experience with your current job, if I were you, I'd go for an MBA or a masters in accounting. People always need accountants.

• Author

Rob- Well at this point in my life the only thing that would make sense is to become a nurse. I have thoght about it but my local programs are so impacted and I want to get started asap.

Law enforcement has always been interesting to me. I have been an some ride alongs that have re-enforced that interest. I have been told that the hiring process can be quite long though. Its an option.

New-Funny I was looking at that. You would think I would a math wiz but is one of my short comings. It was always a struggle for me in college. Im shure that I could overcome it given that I'm older and less distracted...you would think. I have been looking at University of Phoenix but after doing research in the last couple of days I have found that alot of people are haveing problems with them when it comes to finances. I certainly do not need that stress.

Needless to say I have given myself to the first of the year to make a decision on which direction to head.

Man, this stinks.

Thanks for the responses.

What are you interested in? Why not leverage off your previous degree?

If I were to go back to school, it would be for Corporate Law.

New-Funny I was looking at that. You would think I would a math wiz but is one of my short comings. It was always a struggle for me in college. Im shure that I could overcome it given that I'm older and less distracted...you would think. I have been looking at University of Phoenix but after doing research in the last couple of days I have found that alot of people are haveing problems with them when it comes to finances. I certainly do not need that stress.

If you're going to go the online route, I really think you should do it through a reputable university - for example U Chicago, Northeastern, etc., not University of Phoenix. Just my two cents...

Also, you really don't have to be good at math to do accounting (trust me, I would know :laugh:). You don't need to be good at it to do the job, and most programs (for undergrad at least, I'm not sure about grad programs, but I think grad programs are all accounting, business law, econ etc.) only require 2 math classes. Mine required business calculus and a math elective, plus statistics. Those were the only math classes, and the only classes I struggled with.

I loooove TBF's idea. If I could go back to school (or maybe when) I would love to do that....although I would be torn between that and family law.

Rob- Well at this point in my life the only thing that would make sense is to become a nurse. I have thoght about it but my local programs are so impacted and I want to get started asap.

Maybe you could try being a paramedic first? There are paramedic-to-nurse programs out there, and you'd be making money in the meantime.

http://www.careertoolkits.com/nursing/paramedic-to-rn.html

Just an idea. Good luck, whatever you choose!

Throne Of Lies

Did you mention your previous degree yet?

I am in a similar situation and considering geology. It is a really interesting field with employers in academia and more importantly, the oil companies. They get to work outdoors and make tons of money. If you don't feel like being a hired gun for the petro chemical industry, there are plenty of geologists in the green industries too. Lots of travel in the job too, since important minerals tend to be in inconvenient locations

Well, considering the fact that you completed high school and I didn't, I don't feel very qualified to give you advice as to what College courses you should consider.

However, I would like to point out to you that you spelt considering wrong. It's considering....not concidering. ;)