Told I am Changing Job's

Currently I am the Executive Assistant to the CEO and COO. Some of you may remember my posts. I went out at the end of Jan. for brain surgery and came back to work early April. When I got back my assistant who was covering for me (with a temp in her place) was no longer my assistant, the temp was hired FT to be my assistant.

My old assistant has been handling our move to a new office and was told she would go to X department doing project management work.

I felt like my bosses were grooming her and showing her special treatment.

Today I was told (with out my say in the matter) that I am now going to another department to be the assistant to one of our VP's. They said she has been asking for an admin for a while, and now they feel she needs one (because we are growing). They said they don't have anyone in mind for my position, and will post an ad to hire someone...I personally don't think they are telling the truth here.

I am sure they have someone in mind, otherwise why would they not hire someone for the other department...

My reviews have been great, meets or exceeds expectations, but lately (since coming back from surgery) I have felt that they didn't want me in my position anymore. I haven't done anything to warrent being fired, I am a good employee, and I generally 99.99% of the time do a good job.

I have mixed feelings on the move, I am exited because the VP I will be under is extreamly smart and talented with project management. I am hesitant because her and I haven't always gotten along (I sometimes have felt that she doesn't like me).

My ols assistant who is supposed to go to this department, had said when she first changed jobs that she didn't want to work for this person because she doesn't like her. So now I wonder if 1. she is cut out for the job they had planned for her or 2. are accomodating her wished by sending me to this department.

Either way, I know they don't like me...or rather would prefer someone else. But I am trying to take the positive out of this.

I do kind of feel like this is messed up, as I have worked hard to get to where I am at and while my new position might feel like a lateral change, I will no longer be working with the executive team, which on my resume could look bad.

I tried to ask if I could think about their suggestion, but they made it seem like I don't have a choice...I mean if they don't want me, why should it matter what I want.

broken umbrella

From what you have said over your past few posts you have known this was coming. If I were you I would be grateful that they did not just let you go. Take it as an opportunity not a loss.

• Author

I have expected that they wanted someone to take my place. But I also feel that it's unwarrented and that they are being deceitful.

I guess I feel that my performance has been fine (minus a few minor details). I am thankful that they arn't firing me, but I would wonder what reason I have to be worried that they would fire me. I told my husband that my confidence to do my job isn't effected by this as I feel that I do a great job. I think there are politcal reasons behind this...

They have wanted you out since your surgery.

At least you are being transfered and not fired. and at least you don't have to worry about that small cubical.

• Author

I know, haha! I think I will be happier, I will learn more with will help me in the future, and I will have an upgrade to my office...haha!

Sweetcheripie

[.

I have mixed feelings on the move, I am exited because the VP I will be under is extreamly smart and talented with project management. I am hesitant because her and I haven't always gotten along (I sometimes have felt that she doesn't like me).

This is a great opportunity to start fresh. Try to put it to rest WHY this happened - just think of it as a good thing. This is your time to SHINE. Get over the she doesn't like me stuff and focus on the positive. Start off with letting her know how excited you are to work with her and show it.

• Author

Gorilla, no change in pay (yeaaahhhh). Sweet, I sent her an e-mail last night asking to setup a meeting to talk to her. I told her how excited I am and that if there was somone I could pick to work with to learn as much as I could it would be her. She called me with in minutes and told me she too is excited.

Let the adventure begin!

Trialbyfire

redfathom, I think this is a blessing in disguise, in that being an EA, put you into consistently unfamiliar or uncomfortable turf. In truth, I think they expected too much from you because the job wasn't just being an EA, it included Admin/Office management, which for an office of a little under 200 employees, they saved themselves a salary.

Enjoy your new job!

GorillaTheater

Good deal! I was just making sure there wasn't an "adverse employment action". I had the ADA on my mind.

Sweetcheripie
Gorilla, no change in pay (yeaaahhhh). Sweet, I sent her an e-mail last night asking to setup a meeting to talk to her. I told her how excited I am and that if there was somone I could pick to work with to learn as much as I could it would be her. She called me with in minutes and told me she too is excited.

Let the adventure begin!

:bunny: That's great!!

Like Gorilla, I'm glad to hear that there wasn't an adverse employment action. :)

I'm not sure why you're think this switch is deceitful. They don't like you, and you don't get along (by your own admissions). It's somewhat important to get along with your assistant. Obviously, they want to keep you around because they think you do a good job, so they gave you (and the VP you're working for), as well as themselves with their new assistant, a chance at a fresh start.

This happened to me. My old assistant took a perceived demotion when she was switched to someone "under" me, but it had to be done for personality conflict reasons.

IfWishesWereHorses

RedFathom, is your company self-insured as far as health benefits go?

• Author

TBF, yeah they don't realize how busy I really am. So this was suppose to be effective Monday, and I asked about letting my assistant know today, so I could start training her more and transition items to her. They told me they wanted to wait to announce it until tomorrow afternoon. Well, Friday is our last day in our crrent building and moving 130 people (being the "office manager") takes a lot of time. So I really don't have time to train her tomorrow afternoon and Friday and requested a head start.

I sent an e-mail to my boss with a list of some general things I have to train her on just next week (that need to be done next week). He sent me a message back saying that they would make the announcment tomorrow, but that my transfer is now effective July 1st. I plainly told them they didn't understand the scope of what they were suggesting and privided examples...

Gorilla and Sweet, yeah it's great that I am not taking a pay loss and I will be learning so much, it's really a good career move (when I step back and look at).

Star, I told my husband that I understand them not getting along with me, I can't help that... I like who I am but I dont' expect everyone else too :).

I totally get the fresh start too, I have habits (not sure what they are) and I am sure it's easier to train someone else fresh, then to get rid of someone's bad habits.

If, I am not sure about your question...why do you ask?

Star, I told my husband that I understand them not getting along with me, I can't help that... I like who I am but I dont' expect everyone else too :).

That's a great attitude to have... and remember, you don't have to like anyone else either! ;)

I totally get the fresh start too, I have habits (not sure what they are) and I am sure it's easier to train someone else fresh, then to get rid of someone's bad habits.

This is true too. Once you're officially transferred over to work with the new supervisor, have a little sit down, informal chat about your working relationship. What her expectations are, what she needs from you, if she has certain quirks or a special way of doing things, establish whether you need a weekly calendar meeting, etc. This will start you off on the right foot. :)

• Author

Star, yeah I already sent her an e-mail letting her know I look forward to working with her and requesting a meeting to discuss her expectations...we have a meeting tomorrow...

This is new for both of us and we are both excited and positive about this... :)

• Author

I am sitting in my new designated area and liking it so far. The only negative thing is that my soon to be "ex bosses" haven't been that nice to me. I guess it's to be expected, but I also expect civility. Maybe it was a fluke...

This morning I was walking by the kitchen and one of my bosses, X, said good morning to the other boss Y. I also said good morning, but they both ignored me. They didn't say anything or aknowledge me.

It makes it hard to want to go above and beyond...especialliy since I haven't taken a lunch in over a week and have worked 9-11 hours every day since last Monday.

I just have to hang in there!

I am sitting in my new designated area and liking it so far. The only negative thing is that my soon to be "ex bosses" haven't been that nice to me. I guess it's to be expected, but I also expect civility. Maybe it was a fluke...

This morning I was walking by the kitchen and one of my bosses, X, said good morning to the other boss Y. I also said good morning, but they both ignored me. They didn't say anything or aknowledge me.

It makes it hard to want to go above and beyond...especialliy since I haven't taken a lunch in over a week and have worked 9-11 hours every day since last Monday.

I just have to hang in there!

July 1st isn't that far away and than you don't really have to deal with them. I think this will be a great xchange of pace for you.

My last firm was like that. Some bosses are just jerks like that.

As an hourly employee, that is illegal.

Trialbyfire

Sad, sad, sad to not say hello. Be glad you're no longer working directly for these guys. Civility, courtesy and professionalism should be encouraged for all levels. :mad:

It sounds like your VP and you are a much better fit. :bunny: