We are moving offices next week (Friday). I found out today that my "cubicle" will be 4 x 8...The desk I have now is a cherry wood desk with a return, plus I have a lateral 2.5' file beind me where I store documents (and my printer). Basically I was told that my desk won't fit, neither will the printer or file cabinet. They were going to give me a table (from IKEA), until I was able to find a desk (myself) to fit in my cubicle. My current desk is 6' by 6.5'...

Most desks are 5-6'' by 3-3.5' (with out a return) that gives me 3' by 1' of space - for my chair, and to walk into my cubicle...Chairs are typically 2' sq.

How am I supposed to fit the things I use on a daily basis, while working for 10 hours a day?

Does this seem small to anyone?

They might expand the cubicle to be 12' by removing the hallway next to me on one side. But I think it will still be 4' deep...

I am not venting, yet, just asking how big other people's area's are...compared to my new space.

Trialbyfire

I don't think you need people to tell you that under 50 sq/ft is tiny. 4" is a ridiculous narrow space. If you have external U.S. contacts, who are office managers, ask them if there are OSHA guidelines that govern this type of work environment.

In order to not bump into the wall, everytime you get out of your seat, you'll have to have a desk that's 4' narrow. This way, you can maximize your space.

Btw, that's piss poor planning, on the part of whomever did the space allocation. That's part of the job of a good office designer, to help people with practical applications like this.

• Author

We don't have an office designer, just my old assistant is planning and our purchaser (who hates me). Osha here requires 3' as an egress path, I have told this to them before, they have chosen to igonore it many times. I am pretty upset the more I think about it.

I mentioned it to my boss and told him I was going to be given a table, he said to ask X (old assistant), I said I did and this is what she told me. I mean an IKEA table top with leg's is ridiculous! I am trying to remain calm. We are supposed to come in on a Saturday to setup our work spaced (unpaid), I am not going in if I won't have a desk...

I guess the furniture for offices hasn't been ordered yet. My Assistant doesn't have a desk. I found out today *with a guetion mark* that I am supposed to purchased our desks...I dont' have a budget, and I don't know the space available to find a desk that will fit...

• Author

Yes, I have told them...I don't think we are that bad...My only option would be to stick part of my desk or table into the hallway. As long as there is still 3' I guess we are in the clear, but it will look ghetto! HAHA!

I am the EA, and will be in the area with the CEO, COO, and CFO... we have our own executive lounge area, that's like 15' by 12'...

I told my one boss about the table and he said that wouldn't do, but that he didn't have time to talk about it...

I don't think you need people to tell you that under 50 sq/ft is tiny.

:confused: What am I missing here?? I don't see that in the OP.

Red, millions of employees in this country work in cubicles, many of which are smaller than yours.

If you're truly concerned about losing your job, then you're picking ALL the wrong battles here.

Trialbyfire
:confused: What am I missing here?? I don't see that in the OP.

Red, millions of employees in this country work in cubicles, many of which are smaller than yours.

If you're truly concerned about losing your job, then you're picking ALL the wrong battles here.

Do you guys really work in cubicles (not workstations) smaller than 50'? I seem to recall that 50' is the minimum standard for OSHA but am too lazy to look. You must admit that 4' is ridiculous and violates safety standards, since her desk must be taken into account for room to move in and out of, in an emergency situation.

Also, are you sure they intend for you to put your cherry desk inside the cubicle??? Most cubicles have their own desk of sorts attached.

Do you guys really work in cubicles (not workstations) smaller than 50'?

Well, my current office has a bizarre set up, because we inhabit multiple suites on multiple floors, because we keep growing.

But I just walked down the hallway to look at a clerk's work space. They're not enclosed cubes, the divider is shaped like a plus sign, if you can imagine that, so that you're sitting facing the intersection of the dividers, in a sort of rounded corner. Anyway, one side of the desk is about 3' long, and the other side is 4' long. And there's PLENTY of space.

Trialbyfire
Well, my current office has a bizarre set up, because we inhabit multiple suites on multiple floors, because we keep growing.

But I just walked down the hallway to look at a clerk's work space. They're not enclosed cubes, the divider is shaped like a plus sign, if you can imagine that, so that you're sitting facing the intersection of the dividers, in a sort of rounded corner. Anyway, one side of the desk is about 3' long, and the other side is 4' long. And there's PLENTY of space.

Shared workspace is different than the coffin effect of an individual cubicle, that's only 4' wide. It's also reliant on how high the partitions are, for air circulation, etc.

Try this. Measure out the depth of your current desk. Pull out your chair to the distance you would have it, if you're sitting down. Now measure out the distance from the edge of the desk to the back of the chair. You'll find that it probably exceeds 4', if your desk/table is standard size, which means that every time you get out of your chair, you'll be bumping the wall.

It appears that modular furnishings, aren't what red fathom's office, have. As it stands, she won't be able to bring her current desk, since it's too large for the allocated space.

• Author

My cubicle is U shaped, kind of like walking into a room missing one wall, so my back would be towards the cubicle wall with a wall on either side. My desk would face out so I can greet some people.

I wish we had a built in desk and cabients, at my last job we did and it worked out fine. This will just be walls and I table. But to fit the table 3' inside the cubicle, I would only have 1' of space for me and my chair...

God this whole thread makes me so gald I don't have to work in a cubical.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't even have to work in an office, thank god. I often work outside by the pool or on the back deck.

But that doesn't help, red does it?

I think the worst part of what you posted is not even the small space but the fact that they expect you to come and help move on the weekend without paying you. That's utter nonsense and I once quit a job for that very reason. Not saying you should do that but I'd start looking for something else.

Also, consider taking some classes maybe and changing what you do for a living.

Not sure if any of that was helpful but i wouldn't beat a dead horse over this desk space thing. You've had your say. They will either do something about it or they won't.

We are supposed to come in on a Saturday to setup our work spaced (unpaid),

They cannot do this. You're not an exempt employee.

• Author

I am salary...but they are making this mandatory for everyone and are catering breakfast and lunch...

Trialbyfire

They cannot make it mandatory unless it follows the guidelines of the labour standards act of your jurisdiction. It can only be voluntary.

As for the office space, you have two choices, as you well know. You can continue to battle it or battle it through passive-aggressiveness by taking the Ikea table and allowing it to look ghetto, with wires and cords showing underneath. It sounds like no matter what, you're going to have to put your storage and printer outside your office, but within reach.

I am salary...but they are making this mandatory for everyone and are catering breakfast and lunch...

Given your responsibilities as you've described them here, exempt status does not seem appropriate.

If I understand you right, the new space is not contrary to OSHA regulations, so you can't claim it's illegal, but less than is desirable from the viewpoint of efficient working. I would make your view known in writing, with some solid arguments to support it. If they don't respond to your satisfaction, I would say nothing more about it but start looking for a better job.

• Author

So I have been trying to gather some facts: a standard parking space is 20 x 8, so my office would be 1/2 the size of a parking space...give or take.

My Honda Civic Sedan is 14' x 5', so my office is smaller then that...

I hope this helps when explaining to my boss, that I also need to fit a desk, chair, filing cabinet, etc in my area...