Business Dinner invitation

confused1672

Hi,

I am a professional mid-level manager at a large tech company, who also happens to be a woman in her mid-thirties. My team and I recently met with a group of folks from a company trying to sell some product to us for our internal use. This company is small but growing very fast in their particular industry. A week after the meeting, I sent an email to their sales person to send me a proposal for their product. Within a few hours I had an email from their top boss (who had come to present to us along with his team) thanking me for my time and asking me if I'd be available for dinner some time soon so that we can continue our executive relationship.

He is a very well known young entrepreneur in the area and I am quite impressed by him. I don't know though if I should agree to the dinner appointment as we have just started evaluating their product for our use. I have the budgets for making this purchase and don't want to come across as giving special favors to them. On the other hand, I think it is a good idea to develop a professional relationship with this guy due to his connections and network - who knows I may want to work for him one day.

What is the right etiquette in this case?

When in doubt don't do agree to the dinner. Dinner is a little on the personal side.

A business lunch is more in line with what you are doing and I would invite the rest of the team or key members of the team. I would suggest a counter offer of of just saying.

Instead of a business dinner, how about a business lunch where key members from both teams get together?

• Author
confused1672

Thanks for your advise. I think he confused me when he asked me out for dinner in order to continue our "executive" relationship, which in my opinion is, he only wants to take me out to dinner and not my team. I have gone to dinner appointments with men in the past from companies we use as consultants or we purchase products from, but more or less, with a couple of people on both sides and only when we have an established relationship, not when we have just met once. I don't know how to interpret this gesture - am I reading too much or is it just general interest that this guy is expressing. I think I like the idea of proposing lunch instead of dinner - lets see what he comes back with.

whichwayisup

Just say that dinner isn't possible to do, that lunch is easier for you. This way you don't have to go into details as to the why's.

Trialbyfire

It's standard business practice to wine and dine a potential client. As long as you keep it professional and non-committal, there's no reason not to go. Just make sure you wear a business suit and bring your briefcase. He will get the message, loud and clear, as long as your attitude, matches your attire.