how long does it take to get a response?

laRubiaBonita

so i applied for a gov. job that i saw posted in my local paper. the posting was 3-25-09, and i did not get my letter of interest and resume emailed out until 3-30-09.... which was later than i had anticipated....

i still haven't heard anything yet! i am getting bummed.

i mean i know gov. runs at a different pace than some other industries, but jeeze- it's been almost 2 weeks!

is this normal? (i hope!)

this job, from it's description, seems like it was made for me.... i sooo want this job!

Hi! laRubiaBonita,

I really hope you get the job, but unfortunatly if your past the deadline you normally wont get looked at...I hate to tell you that, but like I said I'll hope for ya

Angela

• Author
laRubiaBonita

thanks for the good wishes!

but they did not publish a deadline... so i was *hoping* 5 days wasn't too much to ask.

hmmmmmmm...... i will just hope they at least send a response.

oh man, the government works at a snail's pace. two weeks isn't that long. i worked in gov't for years and believe me, no one is in a hurry to do anything.

hang in there and good luck!

is this normal? (i hope!)

yes, and it can take a few months. i once sent my resume in and was called in for an interview 3 MONTHS LATER. i ended up getting the job.

I got called for a job a year after I applied to one of the local school districts. The post got bumped down to a contract position and I was already doing something else, but I learned that anything goes when you apply for a job.

Patience! My government job took 6-8 months from application to start date. And that was for the exact same position that I did before (just a different agency - no training required).

• Author
laRubiaBonita

ahhh... thanks for the support!

makes me feel better!

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Why not call them and ask if they've received your resume? Alot of businesses won't even look at the resumes until the senders actually call to prove their interest. But, knowing the govt, it wouldn't make a difference. Some jobs they have to post publicly as standard procedure with full intent of hiring within. But this also means other jobs open up, and they have your resume, so there's hope yet! Please call them, and tell them you are still interested and hope they've had a chance to seriously consider you for the position.

jasmine5904
Why not call them and ask if they've received your resume? Alot of businesses won't even look at the resumes until the senders actually call to prove their interest.

I agree. Where I work, we probably get at least 10 applications a day. They pile up so fast that we may not even look at your application unless you call to check up on it. It probably doesn't matter with a government job, but it doesn't hurt to try.