Fretting about job offer.

I completed an Economics degree 2.5 years ago.

I got an offer within a government department in Australia.

I was happy. But didn't know exactly what they job would be. In the interview they made it sound like it would be a policy position.

I know my home group is in what looks like the support area. Does no policy work at all.

Very upset about this.

I got offered a place in the 'Graduate Program' which is supposed to be what you do to go into professional development. Instead it looks like I am in office support. The area has financial management, corporate services, HR, communications and IT. There is a seperate audit department.

Which would be fine I got nothing againstadmi9n - IF it was just a foot in the door job offer to work my way up. As it is a Graduate program this feels like a waste of an opportunity. This is NOT what I want as a career.

Should I treat this as a foot in the door - what should I do ? We get three rotations in the departments. One of those rotations could be in policy but I am not sure. Should I speak to them or will that make me look like a bad worker ?

I feel as though it could be very difficult to move up once I end up in support. The job pays heaps $48,000 (plus 15% towards retirement) and after one year goes up to $55,000 (plus 15% towards retirement).

My long term goal is to become an Economist.

Take it. Most government jobs have new job postings available if it's union.

If you don't advance in a couple of years to where you want to go, there's nothing to stop you from looking elsewhere for another job.

• Author

I'm scared I'll end up getting stuck in support. They'll just stick me there and then you are labelled. No way out.

No one can trap you in any job you don't want to stay in. If not with the Feds, with a private company. It's not often people stay with one company for life anymore. If anything, people are even changing careers, nvm companies or jobs.

• Author

I am better off even if all I am doing is ordering staplers. My goal is going to be two buildings away, so close, yet how far ?

Any advice ? Moving wouldn't precisely be a promotion, I'd be at the same level whichever department I am in and the salaries are the same.

If I get a rotation in a policy area (which I hope to god I do) I was thinking that after being in the department for 2-3 weeks I should go to the manager and say that I want to work for him/her and what do I need to do to make it happen. I've heard some people have done that in the past and it has worked.

If I don't get a policy rotation I don't know what I'll do.

Any advice ?