work rant

renaissancewoman101

I'm partly ranting and partly throwing up my hands in despair. Recently, big boss guy has decided to designate me to be in charge of gathering up the relevant information for an abbreviated learner's manual for a certain type of program/user interface. Fine. I can deal with that. Problem is, I have to go to different people to get their input/information that is going into that manual, and most people have NOT been cooperative with me. I have sent memos, called, talked to people. They say they are busy but will get on it. Nada! One person has come through. Meanwhile, big boss is coming down hard on my ass about this. I have told him that I have tried to talk to people, get them to give me the info, write up the stuff necessary. No dice. Big boss is upset, but is taking it out on me and lighting a fire under ma butt, and making me chase after these people.

I feel like the scapegoat. People don't listen to me. If I could, I'd do the work, but a lot of this stuff is not my expertise and if I screw it up, it makes everybody look bad.

How the hell do you handle people who do not cooperate with you and practically thumb their nose at you, and a big boss who thinks I should be able to get them to do their work. Yeah!

Big boss has been on my ass every day this week, asking me for info, asking me why this isn't done, etc., chasing me down, which is a PIA for me since he also expects me to keep my stuff done too. It's very hard for me to get everything done in a day (I still won't do overtime, I just can't stand the office enough to stick around, but I work quickly, cut my lunch down, stuff like that), and it pisses me off, because other people goof off, chat, text message all the time (I can't text message because the only people I talk to on the phone T and my parents and his mom, they all don't text message).

I have found that people text so that they appear as though they are working and still have conversations. I sit out in the open so am fair game to big boss. I take a break every morning and go out to talk to T on the phone when he calls. I try NOT to let big boss see me (even though I can take breaks and people take smoke breaks), because I've learned that if he sees me doing that, he will come hover around me later.

Don't take me wrong, I get my work done and I get it done well, and people know that. I just can't handle some of the crap that goes on over there.

Today, I got so fed up in the afternoon after having him hover around me, being nervous and jumping all over me, that I went to take a break, and I went to ask to talk to one of the guys whose been here since big boss started this place. This guy is nice to talk to, nice IT guy and he don't gossip, he's kinda nerdy and keeps to himself, but he always makes a point to come by and greet me. So, I sit with him outside and ask him about big boss, if he's like that when there are major customer deadlines and how to deal with him, or if he thinks I am not doing my job. IT guy helps calm me down and tells me big boss gets this way esp when a major client acct is on the line, and that I shouldn't worry because I am doing my job. Just let big boss know I am handling it, and let him know that other people may not be pulling their side, etc. Fine! IT guy calms me down and reassures me that big boss acting that way doesn't mean he is not happy with my work, just that he's nervous about being able to meet deadline, and that I shouldn't worry about my job.

As we are chatting, big boss comes out to take a smoke! (he probably heard the conversation, I hope not. I wasn't bashing him, just trying to find a way to deal with him, since I DON"T HANDLE PEOPLE WHO ARE ALL OVER MY ASS, really well,).

I just can't win.

By spring of next year, if some other things are calm in my life, I may say syonara to this place.

I have my resume on ALL the job boards out there and no bites. It's never been that bad.

I like the steady money coming in. If I lose this job, life would get a bit tougher, but I have gotten my parents to promise to pay for my health insurance in case of job loss. That was and is my biggest concern, health insurance, much more than the income.

If you aren't given the authority to get people to cooperate and have tried every avenue for gentle persuasion, send out one more email. This email will specify a date and time for information required. It should be sent to all parties who have failed to provide you with information, as well as openly cc'ing your boss.

"Hi Everyone, just wanted you to know that we're getting close to deadline and as of yet, haven't received any of your input. While I understand that everyone is busy, we're going to be cutting it pretty close if I don't get the information by [insert date and time].

Thanks,

renaissancewoman101"

• Author
renaissancewoman101

Thanks for that idea. I was planning to send out another memo tomorrow. I've tried everything, calling, memos, stuff like that. I also think people don't like me and maybe that's why they aren't cooperative with me.

I don't really fit into the social dynamic at work.

I honestly wouldn't worry about like or dislike. Your boss gave you a task to accomplish, which is purely business. People get their knickers in a knot in offices, for no reason at all. Don't let it get to you. Good luck! :)

lonelyandfrustrated

I'd tell the BB that people aren't coming forth with the info you need and that you need him to send out a memo to everyone involved to provide the necessary input by Friday (or whenever), and then WRITE THE MEMO FOR HIM, forward it to him, and list the emails of the slackers who you need to talk to.

Pulling this off will work well on your resume.

Knowing that you can pull off a seemingly impossible task will work even better than a resume. You'll have mojo!