Question for all those who work in a cubical

Ok guys i need your opinions! I work in a cubical at work and sometimes i just don't know the proper protocol. Like what do i do if two people are talking in the cube next to me about a problem and they don't know the answer but i do? I mean i feel rude interrupting their conversation but then again they want the answer right? Or what do I do when my assistant supervisor, who sits in a bigger cube across from me, says something out loud to seemingly no one specific. Does this mean she is talking to me? Should I answer? Also should I try my best not to listen when the head boss comes into the assistant supervisor's cube and the two proceed to talk **** about random employees? I mean maybe I'm nosy but its so hard not to listen!

So for those who have worked in cubicles or just know really good manners... any answers would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Hi zoe,

For the first situation, I've been there myself and I'd interrupt based on how well I know the people talking about the problem. The people in your situation may be appreciative of your comments. I'd also apply the same to the assistant supervisor, or maybe she is asking for anyone to answer. As for your last situation, whatever the head boss and assistant supervisor is talking about that you feel you shouldn't be listening, I think it's their poor judgement that they're talking about something that should be discussed in an office with the door closed. Don't feel bad about overhearing their conversations, other people are probably hearing the same stuff.

I agree with the above post. Thank God I don't work in an office with cubicles because I hate them but, as a manager, I would never talk about anything regarding employees where others could hear. Even when I'm on the phone and no one is nearby, I shut my door. If the supervisors at your office don't think to do that, then it's open season on their conversation.

Arise_Serpentor

I have an office! (and I made my numbers this month! Sweet!!!) But I used to have a cube when i was climbing my way up! I brought in a small radio with ear buds! If it got too loud, I would turn them on! Sometimes I would have them in and the radio turned off! That way, if people want to talk to me, they know they have to address me!

EYECANDY000

If you have never had an conversation with someone around your cubicle , then I wouldnt interject. Because honestly you would come off as a little busy body. The last thing you want is someone to get the wrong impression of you, without them really knowing who you are.

I use to have an manager who would shout all the way across the room. I mean she was horrible. Even the people who I was on the phone with could hear her. So since her, we always joke with each other and say " use your call center voice" haha. But, if your manager isnt talking to you directly then pay him/her no mind.

I am not in a cubicle but i do share a tiny office with my manager. and trust me I would rather be in a cubicle , at least I get a little privacy.

When the people in the other cubicle go on lunch break, sneak into their cube and leave a note on their desk with the solution to their problem. Simply sign it THE SHADOW :p

Ok guys i need your opinions! I work in a cubical at work and sometimes i just don't know the proper protocol. Like what do i do if two people are talking in the cube next to me about a problem and they don't know the answer but i do? I mean i feel rude interrupting their conversation but then again they want the answer right? Or what do I do when my assistant supervisor, who sits in a bigger cube across from me, says something out loud to seemingly no one specific. Does this mean she is talking to me? Should I answer? Also should I try my best not to listen when the head boss comes into the assistant supervisor's cube and the two proceed to talk **** about random employees? I mean maybe I'm nosy but its so hard not to listen!

So for those who have worked in cubicles or just know really good manners... any answers would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!

You think your co-workers are a bunch of idiots. Don't you?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

well its not that i consider them morons, its just i am a young women (25) who is working with women who are at least 35+ ( most of them are 45 +). I admit though that i am probably a bit disillusioned. I mean i worked my butt off in high school and college and even though i graduated with a degree it seems like a cant find a job anywhere. Thats how i ended up with the job i have, even though its really not interesting to me. Most of the women i work with do not have degrees but i still respect them for their ability to do our job and deal with irate customers. its not easy! Funny though that u could tell how i feel about my job just from my post!

You could speak with all the individuals concerned, separately, and just ask them what they want you to do the next time it happens.

With the asst. supervisor, maybe assure him/her that you never would share anything you overhear but it still leaves you feeling uncomfortable in that you don't want to be privy to conversations that aren't meant for your ears. Something like that.

I talk out loud a lot. And people walking past or whatever would just go, "are you asking me?" and the jokers would go, "are YOU talking to ME?" like De Niro in Taxi Driver.

And if I happen to be walking past, I say something like, "Oh, I can answer that?" (with the question mark, so they have a chance to convey whether or not they want to hear it from me.)

But I think most people in cubicles (including bosses and supervisors) pretty much know that there is no real expectation of privacy -- they likely are aware that they're being overheard.

HokeyReligions

I used to be in a cube and I still use one when I'm working in other buildings (I travel between company buildings a lot)

I had/have a standard 'call out' when I can hear people. I just say a little loudly, and in a pleasant voice "I Can Hear You" and people will either chuckle, apologize, or include me in their convo. If you are not sure someone is talking to you ask them nicely by saying something like "I can barely hear you - are you talking to me?"

People loosen up even when they realize they are talking louder than they should be.

In our offices we can hear people several rooms away and there is no more privacy than in the cubes. We just have more space to pile work on! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Ronni_W that there is no expectation of privacy in a cubicle environment.

That said, the office environment can be a treacherous pit of leeches, vipers, hawks and sloths who all contribute to the oh-so-fun dynamic known as office politics. From the sounds of it, you may be vulnerable in your particular environment because 1) you're a young woman amongst older women; 2) you're educated and they're not; and 3) this job is far from your highest calling in life. Based upon my own experience in similar circumstances, these three factors can contribute to a politically challenging work environment.

THAT said, the inherently alien cubicle dynamics could amplify the office politics. Personally, and again based upon my own experience, I'd be less concerned with being polite than with keeping my head low and my mouth shut.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I feel communication should be open and that there is little reason not to help when you can.

However, in a situation as described above, I have learned from experience to remain silent and not to interrupt. By doing so, you end up sacrificing the benefits of good open communication, but you keep your professionalism more intact. I find this to be true irrespective of the position held.

This thread was originally begun in August 2008.

The OP's last activity on this board was in September.

I think this thread's done with. :)