Getting scared to start Grad School

I start Grad school in 4 weeks. I got my undergrad 4 years ago, and feel a bit out of the educational loop so to speak. i know 4 years isn't that long compared to some, but i'm not sure i'm ready.

The program is called expressive arts therapy, and in 3-4 years, i should be ready to take my licensure exam for becoming a Marriage and Family therapist (if all goes well).

I never enjoyed undergrad work, and i'm scared my bad attitude will come back again. When I applied, I felt sooo certain that this is what i wanted to do...i was so sure this was the school for me. But as the start date nears, i'm starting to get cold feet. I'm afraid i dont have what it takes, or that I will dread it like i did the first time around.

this program will offer me healing as well...all of my ussues will come to the surface, and i know i can only benefit from it, so in that respect, I welcome it...but the work...the reading and the papers....well, they scare me.

Anyone ever experience this, and how did you cope?

Thanks.

Lauriebell82
I start Grad school in 4 weeks. I got my undergrad 4 years ago, and feel a bit out of the educational loop so to speak. i know 4 years isn't that long compared to some, but i'm not sure i'm ready.

The program is called expressive arts therapy, and in 3-4 years, i should be ready to take my licensure exam for becoming a Marriage and Family therapist (if all goes well).

I never enjoyed undergrad work, and i'm scared my bad attitude will come back again. When I applied, I felt sooo certain that this is what i wanted to do...i was so sure this was the school for me. But as the start date nears, i'm starting to get cold feet. I'm afraid i dont have what it takes, or that I will dread it like i did the first time around.

this program will offer me healing as well...all of my ussues will come to the surface, and i know i can only benefit from it, so in that respect, I welcome it...but the work...the reading and the papers....well, they scare me.

Anyone ever experience this, and how did you cope?

Thanks.

I just got my Masters Degree in Community Counseling and just got certified as a Nationally Certified Counselor. In 2 years I will get my liscense.

Is your program 60 credits? It will probably have to be to qualify you for liscensure. Anyway, I did it the opposite of what you did. I got my undergrad degree in Dec 2005 and went straight into my masters program in January of 06. I just graduated in May, FINALLY. It was really really hard to go through all that schooling. I really wanted to take some time off but my parents pushed me to go back.

Now looking at it, I realize it was one of the best things I did for myself. My masters prepared me sooo well for waht I am doing right now. Those 2.5 years in grad school really taught me a lot about the profession and helped me to become a better counselor.

Yes, it is a lot of work. And sometimes you are going to be like "oh geez why did I go back?" But in the long run it will be worth it believe me. Just keep telling yourself that this is what you want..that you want a better career. And your masters will give that to you? What do you do now? Are you planning on working full time while going to grad school?

• Author
I just got my Masters Degree in Community Counseling and just got certified as a Nationally Certified Counselor. In 2 years I will get my liscense.

Is your program 60 credits? It will probably have to be to qualify you for liscensure. Anyway, I did it the opposite of what you did. I got my undergrad degree in Dec 2005 and went straight into my masters program in January of 06. I just graduated in May, FINALLY. It was really really hard to go through all that schooling. I really wanted to take some time off but my parents pushed me to go back.

Now looking at it, I realize it was one of the best things I did for myself. My masters prepared me sooo well for waht I am doing right now. Those 2.5 years in grad school really taught me a lot about the profession and helped me to become a better counselor.

Yes, it is a lot of work. And sometimes you are going to be like "oh geez why did I go back?" But in the long run it will be worth it believe me. Just keep telling yourself that this is what you want..that you want a better career. And your masters will give that to you? What do you do now? Are you planning on working full time while going to grad school?

Hi Lauriebelle,

I remember when you graduated and posted on here. I was envious of you, and proud at the same time.

I will not be working full time. and if I can help it, i wont be working part time either. I really hope to focus 100% on school. I have heard it is very intense, and I will enter some very dark places in dealing with my own issues.

The program is 2 years in classroom, then 1 year in the field. The field work can count towards my internship hours. Then i go on to License. I do hope to open my own practice. What are your long term plans?

Cherry Blossom 35

I graduated college at 21 and went back to school at 30. I always did well at school, so I wasn't worried at all.

However, when I went back to school, i started really doubting whether this is what I wanted to do. I freaked out on a regular basis. i graduated thinking I still didn't know S**T and I was fearful.

Two years later, I have a lot of confidence in my job skills, I like my job, and I am thankful that I stuck through the dark parts.

• 1 month later...

I just started a program sorta like yours...Im getting a masters in clinical psyc with emphasis on MFT....

Im VERY excited about it, I took 2 years off and was very desilussioned with the types of jobs i could get with a BA in psych so I felt i had no choice but to go back.

I do feel u though, with the fear of the papers and what nots...I just had the first week and already was assigned a 20 pg APA format...(huh?? vaaaaguely recall what that means! :confused:)

Howevre I do feel any struggle is worth it...my problem is the whole working thing...i wish i didnt have to work but I got rent and car payments so...work I go...:(

I say try to see the positive and look towards the future..specially when its 2am and you still have 3 pages to go on the term paper. ;)

I've just begun returning to school to take a pre-req for my MBA and even over that one class - I thought "What the hell am I doing???". I've only been out of school for 2 1/2 years but it feels like a lifetime.

Just hang in there, at least your master's won't be as long as your bachelor program (right?). It'll be over before you know it. Once you get back in the groove of things you'll see ;)

It will definitely pay.