Questions to ask CEO in interview

I've been going through the interview process for a prospective employer. Things are progressing quickly since they are looking to fill the position asap. It began with a 30 minute phone interview, then I had to complete some testing, and then I had 3 separate in-person interviews. The last one was yesterday.

Today they called me to meet with the CEO (it seems this is the last step in the process, and they are looking to make a decision next week).

I can tell the CFO really thinks I'd be a good fit, and when I was talking with him he told me that the CEO loves to be asked questions, and has turned down the most qualified candidates for other positions in the past because they didn't have any questions to ask.

After having basically four interviews, I feel somewhat drained when it comes to asking questions, though! I don't know that I want to repeat some of the questions, but maybe I should since some of them really expressed my interest.

Does anyone have any really good ideas on great questions to ask? Maybe things that aren't often asked, but should be asked more...

Jilly Bean

How big is this company? I know someone can be titled CEO of a 10 person start-up, and their questions would be far different than for a CEO of a Fortune 50.

Trialbyfire

SB, generally speaking (Exec, mid-mgmt, supervisory, line staff, etc), what kind of position are you applying for? The reason I ask this, is that the questions you ask will create an image of who you are, to the CEO.

ooh! "What's the biggest challenge YOU feel your company faces, and how do you inspire your employees to meet it head on?"

because I'd be curious to see (1) how he views his employees and (2) what kind of influence/guidance he has on them.

another question would be "Looking back over your tenure, what strategies do you wish you'd have come up, and how would you have applied them?" Kinda ballsy, I know, but to me it'd illustrate if he's a nose to the grindstone kind of leader or if implements suggestions for improvement.

you might also want to flip through one of those "getting to know you" books you sometimes see in bookstores that promote dialogue for couples ... some of the questions are silly, but you'd be amazed at what you learn about someone. That might be one way to stand out as an employee, where not only are you interested in him as your boss, but as a colleague as well.

• Author
How big is this company? I know someone can be titled CEO of a 10 person start-up, and their questions would be far different than for a CEO of a Fortune 50.

The company is about 300 people, and has been around for 15 years. They've been growing at a slow but steady pace, and they are expecting to hire or add about 20 positions in various departments within the next 6 months. In general, they are not a very well-known company (apparently changing this is a major goal right now), but they fill a niche that makes them one of the top 3 companies in the world to do what they do.

Actually - you asking that question and me answering it helped me to develop questions in my mind. :) It's "brainstorming" I guess.

SB, generally speaking (Exec, mid-mgmt, supervisory, line staff, etc), what kind of position are you applying for? The reason I ask this, is that the questions you ask will create an image of who you are, to the CEO.

It's a management position within the executive office, but it's not an executive position. I would report to the CFO directly, but would also be working with the CEO on a regular basis.

another question would be "Looking back over your tenure, what strategies do you wish you'd have come up, and how would you have applied them?" Kinda ballsy, I know, but to me it'd illustrate if he's a nose to the grindstone kind of leader or if implements suggestions for improvement.

Thanks for your ideas! The "ballsy" ones are apparently what he likes.

I just received a phone call from one of the women who interviewed me last week. It was really a cute phone call (made me feel good) and she said "I just had to call you because we all thought you were great and I know that Mr.CEO always catches candidates off guard." She said some ideas to get started would be to definitely ask him how he got started with the company, and where he thinks they are headed.

I'm very interested to see his personality...since I've had 2 separate "heads up's" about him.

Trialbyfire

Hmmm...strategic direction, Mission Statement, growth potential of the company, history of the company, etc.

• Author
Hmmm...strategic direction, Mission Statement, growth potential of the company, history of the company, etc.

Ok - I realize I may sound SO stupid, but I do not interview often. I'm not much of a job-hopper, and for the past 12 years I have mainly been moving up within one company.

Anyway, some (most) of these ideas have been addressed throughout the rest of the interview process. However, I know that if you ask 3 people the same question, you could easily get 3 different answers. Do you think it's silly to ask a question if you already know the answer? For example, the history of the company and growth potential of the company were discussed in great detail when I asked the CFO about the corporate structure.

Trialbyfire

You can ask the same questions but from a graduating elevation perspective. Where do you see this firm in 5 - 10 years? Any interest in expansion into other areas of business, etc. or other forms of world domination tactics..haha... Use your own words, of course, v. my twisted humour. ;)

it speaks well of you that you've got folks over there pulling for you, and that you've had longevity with the last job. Shows you know your stuff and that people admire you for it.

history of the company and growth potential of the company were discussed in great detail when I asked the CFO about the corporate structure.

put twists on your previous conversations and ask those questions like "how you have done things differently and why," or even, "with the successes you've experienced – you're a top three in your field! – what sort of adjustments have you had to make along the way, and do you feel it has compromised your personal goals any?" He may have had a certain vision for the company but reality could have made led him to make certain adjustments to achieve success, adjustments he wasn't counting on.

or other forms of world domination tactics..haha.

lol, you could jokingly ask how your particular skills could help with world domination!

I think the key for a successful interview with this guy is to turn it around and find out what you've been curious about with this particular company. Does it take him by surprise to find the company in a top three position at such a relatively young age, and what have been the challenges? (yes, that particular word keeps popping up, but you're letting him put his authority to use to satisfy your curiousity).

the other suggestion, to ask what kinds of goals he's got for the company is a good one. Be sure to ask if there will need to be a new vision to accomplish this, or if the company wants to just tweak/refine what's worked best for them all these years.

Trialbyfire

Oh, before I forget to mention, if the CEO's responses greatly differ from the CFO's, you're either getting fed a shovel-full by one of the two, or there's a lack of top-down communication, which is key for a successful organization.

Jilly Bean
Actually - you asking that question and me answering it helped me to develop questions in my mind. :) It's "brainstorming" I guess.

Well then my work is done here! lol

I strongly advise you NOT to bring up the topics that TBF suggested. ie. "strategic direction, Mission Statement, growth potential of the company, history of the company, etc."

That is all so basic and 101, and no way he wants to be bored with you asking questions that are easily answered from the annual report. You should know all this from doing your own research, and not wasting his time with minutae. It will make you look extremely junior to ask such basic questions, plus, as you said, you have already covered this at a lower level with your other 45 interviews... ;)

What would be good to ask is the following:

1 - what is your personal work ethic, and how does this affect the company culture?

2 - Do some research about any recent developments within the company. ie, if they launched a new product, acquired a new company, etc. and play off of that.

3 - Research the CEO. Where he went to school, past positions held, etc. It's always wise to engage him in a little personal repartee about that, as most people love to talk about themselves. "I understand you went to Notre Dame! I saw them win against LA in 1999..." you get the point. Also, if you can find out about any business decisions he has made during his tenure, ask him about that.

3- Remember that hiring managers want to know what you can do for THEM, not the other way around.

What you expressly DON'T want to do, is kiss his a** and over-compliment him (he's used to butt kissers all day, and it will most likely turn him off), bring up those basic questions as suggested (but I see that you already know better) or ask about how YOU fit into the company and what your growth path is.

It really comes down to you meeting him for a personality review, so don't be afraid to show some of it. He already knows you can do the job, he just wants to make sure you have the right attitude, polish and poise for the job and that your personality will be a good fit for the team.

Oh, and use the word "team". lol

Good luck!

I would suggest googling the company to see where they plan on going, who their founders are, their "story", their strategic views, their financials, etc...

I'll use an example that I've encountered because I've researched the company's financials. I've bumped into the CFO & CIO of a firm I was consulting for in the elevator of all places. They asked what I thought of the company. I said to them the business model is interesting, you're capital plan is interesting: physical assets paid for by bonds while your service is a variable revenue stream, the stream sustains the bond payments. Based on current prices, you're making money with membership above nnn. Your store placements tend be near these demographics similar to another company like A & B & C. Good test of the market in the area. I'm wondering what your expansion plans are based on the X concept in xyz magazine.

JillyBean also offers a good personal / getting to know you idea, working with the CFO and CEO is not a happy hour thing, it may require golfing times and client facing time. So when the "I see you went to Notre Dame, etc..." you two/three (including CFO) can have other things to break the ice.

It is not just about being able to do the work, it is also being able to work with the team.

A question I would suggest is when the CEO asks this:

You've researched and interviewed with us (company) where do you see yourself in 5 years? Where do you see this company in 5 years?

Trialbyfire

Gotta' love LS for all it's advice given. I would strongly recommend that you not get too personal with the CEO. You're going into a management position not an Exec position. Attempting to network with a CEO is stepping over the bounds of good Corporate etiquette unless he tries to engage you first, as such. Watch for cues from him.

Trialbyfire

The impression you want to create is someone who's professional, efficient and dedicated to the company, where you're willing to put in whatever it takes, OT, etc, to make things happen to the benefit of the firm. Team player is a good approach but be careful not to sound like you aren't capable of being in charge of the department you're managing.

Since you'll be reporting to the CFO, you're in Finance, which is pretty cut and dried. Be clear, concise with your answers but approachable.

Overall, you want to show that you can be a "Go to" person with the utmost professionalism. Do not be brash. This is the worst impression you can give, for a relatively established firm. The culture will not be wild, wild west, like a start up.

There will also be elements of self-made man, good ol' boy or sharp, cutting-edge "modern" CEO. You'll have to size him up in a hurry, always allowing him to direct the flow of the interview.

These are more reasons why I urge you not get too personal with him, unless he engages you this way first. You'll find the good ol' boys will do this. Also, if your CFO is going to be present at the interview, you don't want to give him/her the impression that you're exceeding yourself.

MaxManwell

Also consider asking what time you start work in the morning, what you should where and if there are any good places around to have lunch.

• Author

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and suggestions! I am meeting with him shortly! I went over all of the research I had done on the company before my interviews, and re-read a few articles written about them. I also prepared a few questions, and I've been reviewing them in my mind for a little while; but not so much that it will seem rehearsed. Obviously, I'll play off of the cues he gives me.

I'm feeling pretty confident...hopefully it works well for me. I also hope I don't come across as overly confident, but I'm fairly certain I won't.

I appreciate everyone who has posted, but I'd like to give a special thank you to MaxManwell - I don't know what I would have done without your fantastic tips. I've made sure to focus myself on his daily coffee routine and favorite lunch shop. I'll just need to be sure his assistant doesn't find out, or she may feel threatened by me.

Thanks again, everyone!

Good luck!

Just remember when you make it big, don't forget us LS'ers. ;);)

Jilly Bean
I appreciate everyone who has posted, but I'd like to give a special thank you to MaxManwell - I don't know what I would have done without your fantastic tips. I've made sure to focus myself on his daily coffee routine and favorite lunch shop. I'll just need to be sure his assistant doesn't find out, or she may feel threatened by me.

LOL. Always one in every crowd... ;)

SB - best of luck, and as jerbear said, don't forget us little people on your road to fame! :)

MaxManwell
Thank you everyone for all of your advice and suggestions! I am meeting with him shortly! I went over all of the research I had done on the company before my interviews, and re-read a few articles written about them. I also prepared a few questions, and I've been reviewing them in my mind for a little while; but not so much that it will seem rehearsed. Obviously, I'll play off of the cues he gives me.

I'm feeling pretty confident...hopefully it works well for me. I also hope I don't come across as overly confident, but I'm fairly certain I won't.

Thanks again, everyone!

Thats alright because you are taking her job after all. You should wear something low cut on the first day and make sure you don't seem to be too smart otherwise the men in the office won't like you.

Theres a lot of information on employment websites online, giving advice that might be helpful to you.

My last job interview happened less than a week after I was involved in a car accident. I had bruised ribs and my breathing was affected. I went in for the interview and partway through my breathing got worse. He ran out to his car, got tablets he uses for his own asthma and gave one to me.

I don't think too many people would've had an interview where you puffed and panted most of the way through it - well, not for a 'respectable' job anyhow!

Good luck with it, I hope it goes well for you. You must've impressed them up until now, so be confident in your own abilities, that will shine through, and with a few well thought out questions, hopefully the position will be in the bag for you.

mental_traveller
I've been going through the interview process for a prospective employer. Things are progressing quickly since they are looking to fill the position asap. It began with a 30 minute phone interview, then I had to complete some testing, and then I had 3 separate in-person interviews. The last one was yesterday.

Today they called me to meet with the CEO (it seems this is the last step in the process, and they are looking to make a decision next week).

I can tell the CFO really thinks I'd be a good fit, and when I was talking with him he told me that the CEO loves to be asked questions, and has turned down the most qualified candidates for other positions in the past because they didn't have any questions to ask.

After having basically four interviews, I feel somewhat drained when it comes to asking questions, though! I don't know that I want to repeat some of the questions, but maybe I should since some of them really expressed my interest.

Does anyone have any really good ideas on great questions to ask? Maybe things that aren't often asked, but should be asked more...

I'll bite, I run one small company and am on the board of another, so done some interviewing.

The main thing I and other hirers look for is that the candidate knows about our company, and has definite reasons for wanting to work with us. The worst thing is to give the impression you are just randomly applying for work and have sent CVs to every company around (even if you have, hide this fact). You want to demonstrate some proactive, specific reasons that you want to work at that company in particular. Remember an interview is a two-way process - you are "interviewing" the company to see if it matches your needs, just as much as they are interviewing you. For example if it's a small company, why are you applying there instead of a large established corporation? Maybe you prefer a less structured environment where you get more challenge and can make more of a difference? That's a good reason. If you say you just saw the ad in the paper, that's not a good reason. Or the company might have a reputation for being strong at one thing - maybe it has industry-leading products, or a reputation for being strong in sales and marketing, or it's the most efficient low cost company in the sector. Know that and then tailor your questions around it.

Another important quality to demonstrate is curiosity and interest in the field of work. Questions are a great way to demonstrate this. Ask where the company is heading, what is its strategic plan for the long term, where do they see themselves in 5 years, what goals do they want to hit? If someone asks me that, I can answer immediately and in detail, because that's the thing that company owners and managers are preoccupied with. It's great to have the chance to hire someone who is aware of these issues and interested in them, because this is a potential future star at the company, not just someone turning up for a paycheque. Ask about changes and issues in the industry, maybe bring up some topic that is in the relevant trade journals e.g. some regulatory change, or new industry trend.

Basically there are two types of employee - people who just want a job, and people who want *this* job, at *this* company. The latter tend to be the best employees by far. The former are average and don't stand out, they'll only get hired if there is a pressing need to fill a vacancy. Try to be the standout - show knowledge, initiative, curiosity and willingness. That's how to get hired. It's about passion and initiative - rare and highly valued qualities.

• Author

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone once again! Thanks MT, you made me feel pretty good about the way things went.

I thought the interview with the CEO went really well. I didn't want to post sooner about it because I was afraid of jinxing things (ha! I guess I'm a little superstitious). After our introductions, he told me that he didn't want to discuss the position, or my qualifications, since that was covered throughout the 20,000 interviews prior to meeting him. He said his purpose was to determine if I was a good fit for the company.

He started out asking me a few questions, and then offered me the opportunity to ask him some. I had made a list of things I wanted to know beforehand, so I just fed off of the way the conversation was flowing and threw them in when it fit. At the end he thanked me and said "Wow, you asked some great questions! I don't think I've ever experienced that before." So I felt pretty good. Then I met with the CFO again for a moment and just discussed the next step.

He said they had to interview one other candidate, and they would make a decision by Wednesday of this week. Well...I was offered the job this morning and I have accepted it! I'm so excited!

AAAAIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!! *screams like a little girl … wait, I AM a little girl!*

congratuations, honey, this is fantastic news to share.

as someone who regularly interviews people for our newspaper, I can completely identify with your boss on finding someone who can easily dialogue as you seem to have done.

ya done good, as we say in ETX! :bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny: