Did I just really mess up my internship???

Lauriebell82

I disclosed something about myself (a medical condition) to the therapists that I work with at my internship. It was relevant to do so, there was a training related to my condition, so I talked a little about it. Now I'm thinking that might have been a huge mistake. I didn't really think about what would happen if I did disclose that, and now I'm very worried. What if they treat me different or discriminate against me? Is this going to effect my evaluation with my supervisor? Oh geez, all these things are running through my head now. I don't know what to do now.:o

curiousnycgirl

Technically speaking they are not allowed to treat you differently. Overall I would expect your evaluation to be reflective of your work - it should have nothing to do with any condition you have.

Absent more information, that is all I can say.

I think you're going to have to give more info. Can this health problem affect your responsibilities as an intern?

There was a good article i read in the NY Times about people who don't disclose health problems at their jobs. But just tough it out without anyone finding out. I agree though, if telling someone at your job your health problems can't help then why do it in the first place? In the real world it does more harm than good....at the end of the day it's your decision whether or not to work there and whether you can handle it because of your health issues.

Unless your condition is something that could affect the performance of your job (for some reason an example comes to my mind of a crane operator, who needs to have good depth perception, being blind in one eye...) it shouldn't be anything they should hold against you.

Is it something that people have a negative, visceral reaction to for some reason? I would think that therapists doing training related to such a condition, would be the last people I would expect to discriminate against such a person, but I suppose you never know.

Did you get any feelings or signals that someone might have a discriminatory attitude, or is it just something that's brewing in your own mind?

Very important questions must be answered here:

1. Does your medical condition prevent you from performing the essential job functions of your internship? Physically speaking? Or attendance wise?

2. If yes, are there accommodations the employer can make for you to enable you to then carry out your job functions? Consider things like certain physical accommodations, or a more convenient schedule, etc.

You're not supposed to be treated differently, unless this medical condition is mental, complete with homocidal tendecies. :eek:

Just making light of the situation, to show you that it would have to be that bizarre. To piggy back off of an earlier poster, they are not supposed to discriminate. And if you do begin to feel uncomfortable there and notice a change in atmosphere, it's better for you to find something else.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Removed External Link
  • Author
Lauriebell82

Well, not to get into detail, I have a neurological condition (I feel funny disclosing the exact thing over the internet) but it doesn't effect my intellectual or physical functioning as long as I take my medication. Nobody would ever know what I had if I didn't tell them. I supose an incident could happen, but the training that the therapists attended (which is what my condition is on) helps to recognize what you can do to help if something happens. So actually it helped that the staff knows what to do.

Thanks for the advice, I really haven't said anythign since then about it. One of the other therapists asked me for advice because she has a client who has the same thing as I do, but I know she is not one to ever treat me differently. I'm not going to mention anything else to anyone about it. I guess I'm thinking ahead to the jobs I am applying for once I am out of school. I don't think I need to disclose my condition because it will not effect my work. Will my employer find out when I get put on their health plan though? I'll probably have to say that I have a pre-existing condition I'm guessing....

curiousnycgirl

Health information is supposed to be confidential, and that is one of two very compelling reasons why comapnies, even those that are self insured, outsource the administration of the program.

Even in a company like mine - where we can dispute a claim being rejected inside the company (because sr management can opt to overturn the administrators ruling) a supervisor is never told the details, one the outcome - it the employee got paid or they didn't. That is unless the employee tells the manager themselves (in which case HR will say tsk tsk you shouldn't know that).

Oh the second compelling reason is that we are a bank and don't know squat about medical claims :rolleyes:

RecordProducer
I don't think I need to disclose my condition because it will not effect my work. Will my employer find out when I get put on their health plan though? I'll probably have to say that I have a pre-existing condition I'm guessing....
Laurie, I think you will need to consult someone who can really help you about this dilemma. This is also a legal issue. What fi some day they don't mind your harmless medical condition, but they mind your integrity (failure to disclose information about yourself)? This is a question that concerns your entire career and you'll have to find a solution now, because otherwise you'll live in fear througout your whole career. And nobody here can help you even if we knew your condition. Browse the Internet to find some laws and regulations for starters, then talk to somebody anonymously. You might talk to an attorney, for example or a teacher you trust.

On a more comfroting note, I don't think they would make a problem about a neurological condition. It's not a mental condition, right? :)

watchingthewheels

This is an internship, so I'm going to risk making the assumption that you are not planning on working at this position forever.

I would say that they will not discriminate against you in their reviews, etc., as a matter of fact, it sounds like you can actually help them. But if I were in your shoes, I don't know that I would count on having a permanent job there.

It would also be illegal or frowned upon for them to use your medical condition against you when you are looking for a permanent position. I would guess that as long as you are a sterling employee, otherwise, they will give you a great reference.

You absolutely do not need to disclose your condition to your employer when you have a full-time job because it doesn't affect your ability to do your job. When you find a full-time job, just wait and see how your relationship is with your co-workers, then tell one or two people that you feel are trustworthy. Just in case.

i have a relative who is diabetic. It doesn't normally affect his ability to do his job. But sometimes his blood sugar drops and he gets miserable and cranky. His coworkers need to do know to give him a snack before he goes into shock.

• Author
Lauriebell82
This is an internship, so I'm going to risk making the assumption that you are not planning on working at this position forever.

I would say that they will not discriminate against you in their reviews, etc., as a matter of fact, it sounds like you can actually help them. But if I were in your shoes, I don't know that I would count on having a permanent job there.

It would also be illegal or frowned upon for them to use your medical condition against you when you are looking for a permanent position. I would guess that as long as you are a sterling employee, otherwise, they will give you a great reference.

You absolutely do not need to disclose your condition to your employer when you have a full-time job because it doesn't affect your ability to do your job. When you find a full-time job, just wait and see how your relationship is with your co-workers, then tell one or two people that you feel are trustworthy. Just in case.

i have a relative who is diabetic. It doesn't normally affect his ability to do his job. But sometimes his blood sugar drops and he gets miserable and cranky. His coworkers need to do know to give him a snack before he goes into shock.

Thanks for the input. I actually don't plan on working there after I finish my internship because I am moving back to the city where I am from. That's good advice though when I do get a job to maybe tell one of two people just in case something were to happen.