Looking for opinions - Not sure how my title got messed up....

I work in IT for 2 small non-profit organizations in homecare. A lot of our reimbursements come from the state. 2 years ago they were pushing orgs to use a new electronic billing system. The problem was... they didn't build or distribute software to handle the invoice files. This stuff was confusing and calling them for help led to a game of phone tag where no one understood how it worked. I had to use trial and error, keep submitting tests until they finally said I got it right. They told me I was the 6th person in the state to figure it out. :confused:

They said the first guy to get it working wrote a program to handle the invoice files, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not a programmer by a long shot, but I know a little. I built a program and it has been a life saver for our accountant.

2 years later, a lady from the state calls me, "I understand you wrote a program or something to handle the files?". "Err.. yeah?". "Would you be willing to help some other orgs get this going?". "Uhh, sure, here's my e-mail and number...". I was assuming she just wanted me to explain how the invoice files worked, but I had a suspicion she was asking about my program for a reason....

The first guy calls me. He's outsourced from the org, has no idea how the billing works, let alone the intricacies of putting together the invoice files. I give him a run down on it, and he asks how I handle it. "I wrote a program.". "Hmm, I'm not a programmer, and I think this is beyond me! Can I look at your program, or at least see the database?". I zipped up the binary and database and sent it to him.

Now, I'm kinda unsure what's happening here, but I kinda feel like the state and these orgs are taking advantage of me. Legally, I'm not even sure I can distribute my program, but my boss sees it as a good thing and doesn't really care. I was just kinda shocked...

So what do I do? I'm half tempted to enlist the help of one of my friends, who is a programmer and has his own company, rebuild the entire thing to make it less "personalized" and see if we can sell it to the state. Heck, I don't even need to make money from it, although that would be an added bonus. My job has already paid me for the hours it took to write the initial code. At least they'd have something to distribute to these orgs to tide over all the confusion. We could even support it. Everybody wins!

What do you think my options really are with this, and how would I go about making an offer to the...... state?? :eek:

Edited by Saxis

Part of the difficulty for something like this, is if you scripted this type of software during work hours, it technically belongs to your employer.

Would your employer perceive distribution of software to the State, on a personal basis, some form of employee violation?

If I were you, I would sit down with your boss, run through your entire scenario and then attempt to approach the State as a spokes-person on behalf of your employer. On the other hand, your employer is a non-profit homecare provider. Are there any legalities associated to a made for profit side business?

Are you a consultant with all rights to your scripting or are you an employee or consultant who has given up their rights?

• Author
Part of the difficulty for something like this, is if you scripted this type of software during work hours, it technically belongs to your employer.

Would your employer perceive distribution of software to the State, on a personal basis, some form of employee violation?

If I were you, I would sit down with your boss, run through your entire scenario and then attempt to approach the State as a spokes-person on behalf of your employer. On the other hand, your employer is a non-profit homecare provider. Are there any legalities associated to a made for profit side business?

Are you a consultant with all rights to your scripting or are you an employee or consultant who has given up their rights?

Here's where it becomes tricky... I used my own personal coding software to write it. I just got paid for the time. Legally, I believe I own the code and couldn't sell it if I wanted to. The reason I'm considering taking this completely outside of the organization is to get it in the hands of people who can support it though. The org won't have to pay for my hours and everyone wins with a superior product. The program would need to be completely rewritten anyway to support the wide range of orgs that would use it. That's where my friend's business comes in. Technically, he (or we) would legally own the code.

As far as my employer is concerned, I'd still have to talk to my boss. He's also a good friend, and he's been pushing me a little to move on to bigger things. He thinks it's great that they've contacted me about it, but I've explained to him some of the legality issues. I seriously doubt they would hold this against me. Even if they tried, we'd run into the legal issues I mentioned above. I'm not too concerned about that.

Like I said, I'm not really concerned about making a profit off of this. It would be awesome, but not necessary. I really don't see any other way to support the program if they indeed would want me to build it. I seriously doubt they'd approve of a single party "donating" software to them, and expect it to be supported. I was more concerned about the state and other orgs asking for my program without considering legal issues. That perplexes me.... And, if they are having this much trouble with the billing system, why haven't they done something about it already!

I agree though, approaching the state as a spokes-person for one of their clients (rather than an outside entity) does give me a bit of an edge.

Hmmm...interesting stuff. Have you done some form of projected revenue analysis, factoring in the number of firms that might need the software? It might help you to decide to go it alone, if it looks profitable and can be supported by you, on your own.

I'm guessing that each time the State chooses to amend the invoice/billing, the script would also require amendment, etc, etc. Also consider format revisions. Hmmm...hmmm...hmmm... ;)

I've worked as a programmer for about 8 years now and pretty much every company I've had has some sort of agreement you sign where anything you create with company resources and/or on company time (time you're paid for) belongs to the company. So if you've signed anything like that you can't sell it on your own as you don't own it, even though you personally created it.

If your boss doesn't mind you distributing it to your friend then once he rewrites it then that rewritten program is entirely new and belongs to your friend (assuming he works for himself and didn't write this for a company he works for). But the original program would still be owned by your company.

If you have the opportunity to make a personal profit off of this I would go for it. My company develops software similar to what you described for local government agencies and a single application can pull in 6 figures. My guess is, though, you'd have to contract with your friend to rewrite the program on your own time and sell that version. You'd also have to not be bound to some agreement to not work with competitors.

• Author
Hmmm...interesting stuff. Have you done some form of projected revenue analysis, factoring in the number of firms that might need the software? It might help you to decide to go it alone, if it looks profitable and can be supported by you, on your own.

I'm guessing that each time the State chooses to amend the invoice/billing, the script would also require amendment, etc, etc. Also consider format revisions. Hmmm...hmmm...hmmm... ;)

Yeah, I've considered that, but I have no idea what my client base would look like. When the new billing format first came out, they said they had 21 orgs sign up. After 6 months, only 6 had been able to get it working. That was over a year ago and I have no idea where they're at now. Before this system (and still) these invoices were phoned in over an automatic system. They just have to enter client numbers. Takes DAYS to do when some orgs have 700+ clients, like the one I talked to. My program would whip them out in minutes. I could probably bypass the state then, too!

Yeah, I've considered that, but I have no idea what my client base would look like. When the new billing format first came out, they said they had 21 orgs sign up. After 6 months, only 6 had been able to get it working. That was over a year ago and I have no idea where they're at now. Before this system (and still) these invoices were phoned in over an automatic system. They just have to enter client numbers. Takes DAYS to do when some orgs have 700+ clients, like the one I talked to. My program would whip them out in minutes. I could probably bypass the state then, too!

Why not phone the "helpful" State person who called you and ask how many calls you'll be expecting to receive in the future?

• Author
I've worked as a programmer for about 8 years now and pretty much every company I've had has some sort of agreement you sign where anything you create with company resources and/or on company time (time you're paid for) belongs to the company. So if you've signed anything like that you can't sell it on your own as you don't own it, even though you personally created it.

If your boss doesn't mind you distributing it to your friend then once he rewrites it then that rewritten program is entirely new and belongs to your friend (assuming he works for himself and didn't write this for a company he works for). But the original program would still be owned by your company.

I don't believe I am bound to any contract like this. Programming is not in my job description at all, but I didn't have much of a choice as a 1-man IT department for 2 organizations. But yeah, my boss would be perfectly fine with me taking this outside of the company anyway.

If you have the opportunity to make a personal profit off of this I would go for it. My company develops software similar to what you described for local government agencies and a single application can pull in 6 figures. My guess is, though, you'd have to contract with your friend to rewrite the program on your own time and sell that version. You'd also have to not be bound to some agreement to not work with competitors.

I just started talking to my friend about it, and he suggested that we create a new company, partner with the state as the only approved software for this and reap the benefits. :D

• Author
My company develops software similar to what you described for local government agencies and a single application can pull in 6 figures.

My eyes are glazing over... :cool::lmao:

I just started talking to my friend about it, and he suggested that we create a new company, partner with the state as the only approved software for this and reap the benefits. :D

State governments often have restrictions regarding who they can contract with but if you guys can pull this off I'd definitely go for it. You could make quite the pretty penny. :cool:

• Author
Why not phone the "helpful" State person who called you and ask how many calls you'll be expecting to receive in the future?

Unfortunately she didn't leave me with any contact information and I can't, for the life of me, remember her name. :o I e-mailed the person who asked me for help, hoping he could help me out with that. Fingers crossed....

Unfortunately she didn't leave me with any contact information and I can't, for the life of me, remember her name. :o I e-mailed the person who asked me for help, hoping he could help me out with that. Fingers crossed....

If you have a decent telephone billing service at your work place, they should have a listing of all phone numbers, based on your telephone line, per month. Check with your employer. :)

• Author
If you have a decent telephone billing service at your work place, they should have a listing of all phone numbers, based on your telephone line, per month. Check with your employer. :)

You are sly.... I like it! ;) Wish I could remember which line she called on now.... We have 8.

Edit: Nevermind, the guy e-mailed right back with her contact info.

Edited by Saxis
You are sly.... I like it! ;) Wish I could remember which line she called on now.... We have 8.

I prefer to call it, multiple ways to look at a problem to create resolution or out-of-box thinking. I'm a goals-oriented person. :laugh:

• Author
I prefer to call it, multiple ways to look at a problem to create resolution or out-of-box thinking. I'm a goals-oriented person. :laugh:

I have no idea what I am. I'm pretty low on the corporate food chain, and just might have got lucky with this opportunity. That's really how I got here in the first place. Right place at the right time.... :o

Now, how do I proceed? The lady who referred me is the Program Manager for this whole thing. I really have no idea how to broach the subject. :eek:

I have no idea what I am. I'm pretty low on the corporate food chain, and just might have got lucky with this opportunity. That's really how I got here in the first place. Right place at the right time.... :o

Now, how do I proceed? The lady who referred me is the Program Manager for this whole thing. I really have no idea how to broach the subject. :eek:

Saxis: Hi, this is Saxis from XYZ company. If you recall, we had a conversation about abc billing software and helping others out with it.

PM lady: Oh, that's right, yes, I do remember you. You're the IT guy who scripted the process.

Saxis: Yes, yes, that's me. Anyways, I've received calls from a couple of people and wondered about something. Any idea how many more firms that might be calling? My employer was wondering about numbers for my time constraints. You know how they get...