Telling a white lie?

I am currently in the process of looking for a part-time job to make some extra cash . Of course this means doing the research with companies, going to fill out them long dredded applications and the fun part, Interviewing!!!!:bunny:

Now, I went on one interview and the interviewer had 2 pages of questions and scenerios.. I was already like oh my god! Is she really going to ask me all them questions, and low and behold, she asked all them questions plus more.

So she stated that she can re-read the questions but she cannot explain what the questions means...

So one of the questions was "when is it appropriate to tell a white lie to a customer? and would you tell a white lie?

Now, Im not exactly what would be considered a white lie?

How would you guys answer this question?

I am currently in the process of looking for a part-time job to make some extra cash . Of course this means doing the research with companies, going to fill out them long dredded applications and the fun part, Interviewing!!!!:bunny:

Now, I went on one interview and the interviewer had 2 pages of questions and scenerios.. I was already like oh my god! Is she really going to ask me all them questions, and low and behold, she asked all them questions plus more.

So she stated that she can re-read the questions but she cannot explain what the questions means...

So one of the questions was "when is it appropriate to tell a white lie to a customer? and would you tell a white lie?

Now, Im not exactly what would be considered a white lie?

How would you guys answer this question?

The answer depends on the position you apply for. If it's a sales position, then I suppose a "white lie" is sometimes necessary.

I'm not sure how I'd answer the question. I suppose a white lie would be something like promoting a particular product and failing to mention another more suitable product for sales purposes (i.e. management wants you to sell x # of that product). You can justify it by saying that while there is a more suitable product out there, the white lie is appropriate b/c you are striking a balance b/w what management wants (selling product x) and what the customer wants (they are looking for a product with particular features and the product x has all of them...it's just that there is another product that is as suitable but cheaper).

Does that make sense?

from wikipedia.org:

In western countries, a white lie is typically taken to mean an untruth with an alleged justification such as to avoid upsetting a person, to encourage a person or just for harmless convenience. An example of a white lie is a nurse who reassures a disfigured patient that he looks healthy, or an aged husband who assures his wife that she looks just as good as when he married her. This kind of white lie is, in many instances, known to be an untruth by all involved parties, but overlooked out of diplomatic tact or politeness. For example, when two people collide in a crowded hallway and one falls down, he might tell the other that he's not hurt, even if he's hurt a little bit.

I think this is a silly question to ask in an interview, but JMO. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Author

Ocean Blue: Thanks for the example. it took me a couple of times toread it before I understood.

Reboot: Perfect example,

Blind Otter: I definately think that it was a crrazy question to ask as well.. im not exactly sure how I even answered it.. I think I said something along the lines that you shouldnt tell a white lie blah blah blah

btw this was for a Online/Customer service Job for a bank, if that has anything to do with it

But should I tell a white lie to someone regarding their monies?

melodymatters

hmmm, Maybe a "good" answer would be that you wouldn't need to because you are confident in your customer service skills, then an example :

They asked me if they could get a better rate with di-tech mortgage and I pointed out that WE offer no closing costs, and an expediated process.

Anyway, I HATE the personality test BS, like they are hiring you for NASA for some of these crappy jobs ! 10 years ago, if you had skills and charisma they'd give you a chance, now my teens boyfriend had to take a "personality assesment test" to get hired for his first job at a Mcdonalds ! ( and...he didn't get it !)