Aaarghhh!! (Letting off steam)

I am so mad at the moment that I just want to scream! I have just been classed together with a guy who spends a lot of time each day just looking at a computer screen (and I mean it, just looking, nothing's going on) and nodding off!!:mad:

I suppose that I got what I deserved. I'd debated telling my boss that for the past couple of days Mr. Sleepy had been telling the two new guys to do manual work while he stared at a computer and nodded off. I finally decided to tell him (even though I still had doubts about stepping over the line) because I didn't believe it was fair what was going on. Then the boss dumped me in the same category as Mr. Sleepy, saying that he saw the two new guys working (cleaning), me flicking through a catelogue (apparently it didn't matter that it was work related) and Mr. Sleepy, well sleeping - basically neither of us were working in his eyes.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm crazy but I think there's a hell of a lot of difference between making sure our delivery was correct so that we could get the appropriate paperwork sent to corporate and sleeping at my work station!!!

Maybe it would have been better to tell Mr Sleepy-head to his face that you need him to pull his weight and DO some work - Though you time it so your boss can overhear the conversation...

Sorry that happened to you. Guess just keep your head down and work hard, forget what others are doing around you and focus on your own work. I know though it does SUCK when you're working hard, then you see someone slacking off...

Start sending your boss weekly status reports telling him what you worked on that week and the status of your projects. You don't have to go into great detail - bullet points with some commentary on important projects, tasks, or issues.

He clearly doesn't know what you do, so make sure he does. It is your responsibility to highlight your achievements and responsibilities, since it is your job and your reputation on the line. It's your job, your career - take control of it and change your boss's mind about you.

Plus, then you'll have the reports as documentation should you need them to make a case for getting a raise, getting a good annual review...or for keeping your job.

• Author
Maybe it would have been better to tell Mr Sleepy-head to his face that you need him to pull his weight and DO some work - Though you time it so your boss can overhear the conversation...

The problem is that I'm still a temp while he's a permanent employee, that puts me at a bit of a disadvantage. Unfortunately the company I'm with seems to take about a year to make people permanent, and I've only been temping there for 6 months.

Sorry that happened to you. Guess just keep your head down and work hard, forget what others are doing around you and focus on your own work. I know though it does SUCK when you're working hard, then you see someone slacking off...

It's not even so much that I'm working hard and he's slacking. The boss told him work that needed to be done that day and he was just sending the new guys to do it while he nodded off. The boss has spoken to him and things seem to be getting better. It was just making my blood boil to see him watching others work, not saying anything and not helping at all. :mad:

Start sending your boss weekly status reports...He clearly doesn't know what you do, so make sure he does.

It's only a small place, and he does normally keep a check on what everyone is working on. Which is why (without wanting to sound like a baby) it just felt so unfair that he could lump me with Mr. Sleepy. He's told me before that I'm a good hard worker and that I've been doing a good job training the new people. It's just confusing to me. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
musikaprinsesa

He clearly doesn't know what you do, so make sure he does. It is your responsibility to highlight your achievements and responsibilities, since it is your job and your reputation on the line. It's your job, your career - take control of it and change your boss's mind about you.