My manager is an a-hole

I've been at a new job for a year. My commute is about 2 hours each way. I talked to our main boss and asked if I could change my hours back one hour meaning coming in an hour early and leaving an hour early, so I could get home by 6:30pm and have more time to be with my kids. My boss had no problem and agreed that I could start the beginning of '07 and even odered a laptop for me in case I ever needed to work from home. This upset my manager who feels he should be leaving early every day and working from home at least once every two weeks. He stated that I beat him to the punch. I was really upset over him saying that. He went as far as to speak with our boss and suggested that he be able to leave early and work from home. Our boss clearly squashed this idea since he lives much closer and has a shorter commute and told him he is the face of the dept and needs to be there in case of any onsite problems. Since the year has started he has been making one excuse after the other to work from home and has taken many days off. He wouldn't let me leave early the first month of the years stating that I needed to train a new hire. He is the Manager, isnt that his job??? He then kept mentioning I could leave at 5pm but I disregarded him and started leaving at the time promised and told our boss this. Recently he has been shirking his responsibilties and not helping our new hire the way he should, she is concered at the way he doesnt want to address certain problems that are his responsibility. She complained to me and I wen to our boss again to complain about his behavior. I truly feel i am working with the devil. He doesnt care about the job. He keeps mentioning money and bonuses he feels he deserves and never once mentions that the reason our dept is afloat and running as tightly as it is is thanks to me. I have developed such a deep resentment I hate waking up and going into work. I need this job because it pays higher than other places and I have a mortgage. I don't know what to do or say once our boss speaks to him about his behavior. Any suggestions? Thanks.:(

whichwayisup

Keep a written notebook nearby so you can keep track of what your manager does, says and puts on you responsibility wise. If he tries to bully you into staying later, especially after you cleared it with the big boss, then atleast you have the paperwork to back you up. If it gets REAL bad, you could always go to your human resources about the manager.

What does your job decription say about training new people? This is what you need to find out...

Anyway, your manager is the one with the issues and his work habits and what he doesn't DO will eventually catch up to him. Try your best to NOT let him know he bugs you, focus on your work and if need be, always deal with the big boss.

• Author

Thanks.. I have been marking his days off and keeping ridiculous emails that he has sent checking up on my work from home. He has been with the company for 12 years. Its not my fault he never had the courage to step up to the plate and ask for anything different. Since I've gotten there I have managed to retrieve millions in receivables from our clients. The bad part is that he will take all of the credit. My boss is aware of what I do and how I do it. I am really dreading bonus time which is next month. I am not sure if I am eligable to receive one. But if my manager does I will be so upset knowing that he is reaping the rewards of my sweat. It makes me sick thinking about it. :sick:

whichwayisup

He's threatened by you. One - (hate to say it) you're a woman who is doing a better job than him and he's pissed about that. Two - You excelling and doing a good job is making HIM look bad. He doesn't have your best interest at heart, which is odd for a manager.

Sounds like he needs a course or two about management training and needs to relearn afew things!

Make sure the big boss KNOWS that it's you bringing in the millions of receivables. Keep track of ALL your own paper work, so if need be, (if the manager gets a bonus and you don't) you have the stuff to back you up.

QUestion. How many other employees do you work with that have the same manager?

• Author

just me and the new woman that started in January. She is really appalled at his work ethic. She had a meeting friday where she was tagteamed by the 2 program managers who needed answers to questions that only he could answer. She got up at 4:35pm to ask him to walk over and address the women at the meeting and he told her he was tired and going home for the day then he said it could wait til today but he never came in. called and said he had to work from home with yet another BS story. So she, myself and our big boss had a meeting today about this situation which made my boss upset. He mentioned that my manager had taken off last monday while he was out of town and was never told by him and that he had to hear about it which upset him even more. I also should mention, my manger is 36 and our boss is 28 and came over from the UK and has been with us for a year also.He has been doing a great job, making significant changes and my manager is upset over it. I personally am 39 and this whole situation is just ridiculous.