A Boss Who is Never Satisfied

I work in a 1 girl office for a man who is retired from a LARGE well known corporation. He used to be a VP for that corporation and retired to start his own small consulting company.

I work part-time for him and have so for almost a year now. I wouldn't still be there if he didn't travel 80 percent of the time!

My problem is he's never satisfied with anything I do for him. I can work my tail off getting a project together only for him to say "I don't mean to piss you off but I need to make changes". I never hear - thanks for completing that job I know it was alot of hard work. All I get is criticism or snide remarks. These remarks always seem to be a test.

I think he's still in his corporate narcisstic big shot mode from having been this big VP - he acts like an a$$ at times and says things very demeaning towards me.

I am only working for him part-time and I do a fantastic job. I'm loyal and treat his clients great - I keep his office immaculate and I put forth 110% effort in everything I do. He knows this yet it would kill him to praise me or treat me as an equal - he instead let's me know I'm "hired help".

His wife tried moving in and having me to her personal crap but I flat out refused and said I wasn't hired to be her personal assistant. He then tried having me do extra work for some of his pals and I told him no.

I'm totally taken advantage of and treated in a derrogatory manner if I don't stand up to him. I think it's mostly his ego and need to feel superior.

He'll make comments to his golfing buddies "Make your assistant do it - that's what I do". He'll say that within earshot.

He's made many snide derrogatory comments to me and I've refused to show him any emotion or show that he's got under my skin. I've maintained the attitude that I'm only there part-time and I can take that job or leave it - then he'll get real nicey nice.

I can tell in his previous high powered job he was a jerk. He said "I had several secretaries when I was the VP at ******".

I'm good at what I do - you'd think he'd want to treat me with more respect to keep me around. Why do some bosses act like this and treat their secretaries like dogs?

He's a selfish immature jerk and I would love to see his company go down the tube so that he learns some humility. If I was you, I would quit him because you can do so much better working for a nice person instead of him. He is taking advantage of you because he thinks he can when in reality he has no real power over you unless you give it to him.