How to distinguish sexual/romantic interest and just plain marketing?

I want to see some tips, hints, etc. that could be displayed by professionals that only are about personal relations and not professional ones. Like, let's say, a store clerk (who doesn't work on commission) started asking persistently about your personal life that has nothing to do about the products, does it constitute personal interest? Or is it to build rapport?

I'm asking this because I don't want to make an inappropiate move on a cute sales clerk who initiates convos that is in a different category.

What kind of inappropriate move could you possibly make? Ask him out for coffee or something. If he's not actually interested romantically, and is just being friendly, or outgoing, or just curious about people, so what? You didn't poke him in the eye with a sharp stick! No harm done.

Im going to assume you're a girl and the clerk is a guy.

Quite frankly i think you're in a good position, why?

1) guys are open to a girl hitting on them/asking to a date.

2) you're the customer and he works there. It would probably be an awkward situation if it was reversed.

But from a business relations standpoint, in most cases its best to assume the opposite sex is friendly or will chat with you if they require your assistance (and reverse) in accomplishing a task. The place where I work, i deal with various women from a different department for each day...generally that is how they work/talk with us guys in our department. Do those women have romantic interest in me or the other guys?...who knows.

Regardless, you'll never really know until you ask.