Lying(exaggerating) about salary history?

Im one to disagree that companies shouldnt have the right to ask you your salary history. Most companies dont, and few really do.

And im pretty sure that if you dont include salary history as they request it, they will likely write you off as a possible candidate VS someone that included it.

Regardless of what you put for your salary history. Im certain no company will go out on their limbs and ask your references how much your previous salary was.

What do you guys think about lying (exaggerating) about salary history? has anyone here actually done it?

TYASAFAHICSI

Salary, position, and employment dates are typically the ONLY thing that a smart company will provide to a prospective employer. As a practice, we never will give a recommendation on a former employee for fear of a defamation lawsuit. We request a copy of the signed employment application of the former employee--they usually say that their signature authorizes people listed on the app to release data. We compare signatures, and then will state, dates of employment, starting salary, ending salary, and positions held. Nothing more.

However, when I am checking out a prospective employee, one question that I usually will get an answer to that is VERY telling is "if X decided to return to work with you, would you hire X again?"

So, I would say in answer to your question, most employers will verify salary history! So don't lie!

So, I would say in answer to your question, most employers will verify salary history! So don't lie!

This is the only part of the post I understood. You do make a good point about verifying salary history. As I understand generally employers will ONLY call up your references if they are considering hiring you (or at least as a candidate).

On rare occurences, i will notice on online job postings that the employer requests...salary history + requirement, and resume + cv of course. I suppose the salary history part will come haunting you down the line if one is considered for the job.