It's official: being a student hurts my career opportunities

So after my last job interview i kind of knew my student status killed that job opportunity as they're skeptical about it.

The thing is I'm a night/weekend student so I'm available to work during business hours. However, most of the job opportunities in my field usually require me staying overtime.

It was proven today. I went to a job interview, she asked me what I do (since my last job was a couple months ago). I told her I'm a college senior (on some interviews i dont reveal that), and immediately that smile turned into a frown. funny thing is the ones that do call me in for an interview usually miss the 'anticipated graduation date' on my resume.

I knew then and there she'd write me off as a possible candidate for the job.

But I still showed her I wanted the job and was enthusiastic about the company and who i would be working with.

She wanted to know my night class hours and how many classes i was taking, so i told her. i told her im willing to work around my schedule to suit her needs (for the company)...i guess that doesnt say much as I'd be lying to myself and her...no possible way i'd be cutting class every night and expect to know what im missing in class. Or even, not being as productive during the day at work due to night classes.

So the whole time she was trying to be nice about it, but the whole time that disappointed/sad look was on her face. I knew but oh well.

After this it makes me wonder if most of the jobs i send my resume out to dont respond because they see im still a student. If it's worth the trouble i might even consider postponing my last semester so i can increase my chances of job opportunities. what do you guys think?

The sooner you finish school, the sooner you won't have to worry about this issue anymore. One semester isn't a very long time, so might as well get your degree!

Can you perhaps find a part-time job in the meantime? Or two part-time jobs?

Work part-time until you finish school. That's what I did. At some points I had 2 jobs and went to school, and I didn't even go to night school!

One semester isn't very long and postponing the inevitable will just make the process take too long.

• Author
The sooner you finish school, the sooner you won't have to worry about this issue anymore. One semester isn't a very long time, so might as well get your degree!

Can you perhaps find a part-time job in the meantime? Or two part-time jobs?

I dont think part time jobs would suit me. The stuff on my resume so far is related to my field. Likely even part-time jobs would be entry-level and low paying. I have high standards for myself, which includes the salary and doing what i love...i wouldnt want it any other way.

I know some people who are well off in their field and decided to drop out in their last 2 semesters. My friend has a job in the field and his hours seem pretty normal 9-6 (he's a night student like me also). I guess people just get lucky sometimes.

It's not about making just enough to cover my expenses. It's also about being well off. Me and my friend made a pact/agreement that we'll be roomies in an apartment as soon as spring of next year. If i cant score a full-time job by then, ill be disappointing myself.

but you guys are right, i have no reason to compromise my diploma when I'm already so close. Even if it is delaying some opportunities...it's just painful to see an interviewer write you off the candidate list just because of the student status.

...It's like shooting myself in the foot, my own doing..

try doing an internship, then. They usually understand school schedules, and internships are always good resume builders.

• Author
try doing an internship, then. They usually understand school schedules, and internships are always good resume builders.

Actually they did offer me an internship. And i understand that being an intern disqualifies me from having a real set schedule or responsibilities compared to a paid employee of working within tight deadlines and getting the job done on time...well, which is why they offered it to me :mad:.

I already did an internship over the summer elsewhere for school credit.

But you make a good point, i might reconsider their internship offer since the experience there is very different.

I'm sure that is frustrating, but B_O and norajane are right. You should stick it out, especially since you are this close. While you may be able to get the same kind of job right now without the degree, it hurts you in the long run not to have the slip of paper when you are up for promotions and salary increases.

Actually they did offer me an internship. And i understand that being an intern disqualifies me from having a real set schedule or responsibilities compared to a paid employee of working within tight deadlines and getting the job done on time...well, which is why they offered it to me :mad:.

I already did an internship over the summer elsewhere for school credit.

But you make a good point, i might reconsider their internship offer since the experience there is very different.

Perhaps if you take the internship, when you finish school, they'll offer you a full time job.

• Author
Perhaps if you take the internship, when you finish school, they'll offer you a full time job.

heh maybe. But i would probably stay for as long as until i can learn all I can at the company. Considering the fact that it's not paid, and i wouldnt be doing the full job duties compared to the original paid position i was applying for.

But, lets face it...most interns are at the bottom of the food chain, i wouldnt want to go through what i went through with my last internship.

I looked back at the job posting and the duties are quite pressure intensive and tight deadlines which requires high responsibility and overseeing other peers, i can see why she was disappointed when she heard i was a student.

If you need money, I suggest you find a part time job of your liking and finish off your schooling. You need to lower your standards a bit to get thru life. You know what? I would not be surprised if you found a part time job and liked it and decided to become a full time. Life is strange sometimes.

I don't know exactly what your situation is like, but I'm still a student (a senior) too.

I got a job at the university. University employers are normally a lot more flexible when it comes to school. They don't discriminate as much and a lot of them will flex your hours for students, at least they do at my school.

I'm not a student worker or anything, I'm full time staff with benefits. My area of study is biology, but I'm working in software support. Just an idea, if I were you I would go check out the job postings again and look for a full time staff position there at your school. Something you can do, not necessarily in your field of study. At least that way you get money and your foot in the door, you can always apply internally to another dept. after you graduate.