career choice dilemma

I'm hoping this is the most appropriate place to post this.

Ok my problem is i don't know what the hell I'm doing! For the past 5 months I have been doing relief work as a teacher in special schools around my city. There is stress involved in the job, as i never know where i'm going to be going and what awaits me when i get there.

But more than that is that it has just finished the school holidays here and this is the second week back at school. I've had no calls to go to work. I have to wake up at about 6am and psyche myself up and get ready and make lunch and wait for the phone to ring.....and it hasn't.

Because I need to wake up early and feel quite good to face this type of work i need to go to bed early and so whats been happening is that I turn down offers to go out the night before with friends "because I can't have a late night in case i get called at 6am the next day to face six 12 year olds with ADHD". The what happens is i stress about not getting a call the next day and so i don't sleep anyway and wake up feeling rat****.

I have another job as well which is organising television ratings. Its a night job mostly- form 5 to 9 and day work over the weekends. So because its 5-9 and then i don't get to bed til 11 i have been only rostering myself on for weekends. So you can see that one of the problems is $$$$$.

I'm just really sick of waking up in the morning and not knowing WHERE i'm going or even IF i'm going. When i do get work I do like it as it is rewarding and it pays well ($AU272 a day)..

At the start of this year I enrolled in a postgrad course in special ed and did one subject and deferred this semester after my dad died in april and just got fed up with writing assignments.

In the last week and a half since holidays finished i have been doing heaps of work in the garden as i'm mad on plants and have been doing that if i don't get a days work at school. It dawned on me today that i would love to work outside because i just feel so amazing after a day of it. So looked on the internet into doing a cert in horticulture at tafe . And then i felt completely ridiculous because what, am i just going to add that to my Bachelor of Visual Art (photography), and Bachelor of art teaching and my one quarter - of - the way- through Graduate certificate of special education??????

Geez can someone tell me what I should be doing??????

Nope. You have to sort it out for yourself.

Why did you become a teacher? Why did you go into special ed? If anything you've done was something you didn't necessarily want but thought you 'should', then don't continue. If your heart truly isn't in it, then you won't succeed.

However just because you enjoy something as a hobby doesn't mean you'd enjoy it for work. You have to look at all aspects of the job, talk to others in the work, and decide if EVERYTHING - meaning the hours, workng conditions, wages, people you deal with, etc. etc. - is for you.

If you worked in horticulture, what jobs would you gt? Would you be working for yourself? If so, would you want to do everything associated with that (bookkeeping, promotion, etc.). Do you like working outdorrs throughtout the year or only on the nicest days? Would it bore you if you did it all the time?

• Author
Nope. You have to sort it out for yourself.

Why did you become a teacher? Why did you go into special ed? If anything you've done was something you didn't necessarily want but thought you 'should', then don't continue. If your heart truly isn't in it, then you won't succeed.

A lot of artists become teachers - so much so that there are never any art teaching jobs. Thanks for our comments. My heart has always truly been in art and design , but realistically you have to make a living, and its hard living off your art- had a few freelance jobs for magazines, but it is hard to live off it. I'm just not one of these people who has it all figured out at the age of 21- with regard to career. Why did i go into special ed- because I enjoy working with people with disabilities.

So what about art therapy? You maybe can't do exactly what you want for a career but you often can find careers that incorporate some of the things you love and also pay you money.

As for art, if you're into art created electronically, I believe both film and gaming are good places to look. There's communicatons and PR. But those are the regular things. I just read today about a local furniture company that's growing by leaps and bounds - places like that probably need designers.

You have to spend a LOT of time looking for a career - or even looking for a job. And you have to be creative. Invite some friends over and have a freeform brainstorming session to come up with jobs involving art - any kind of suggestion is ok. You may be surprised at the possibilities that get generated.

Or you could try art therapy :)