LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Spirituality & Religious Beliefs

Thou shall not covet another man's wife


Spirituality & Religious Beliefs Contemplate your place and purpose in the universe.

Like Tree26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2018, 1:14 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Popsicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8,322
Thou shall not covet another man's wife

I think there's a Commandment from the Christian Bible that says "Thou shalt not covet another man's wife"
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 1:24 PM   #2
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
I think there's a Commandment from the Christian Bible that says "Thou shalt not covet another man's wife"
If you want to get technical, it does not pertain to women and in the ancient days, it was frowned upon to be single. We are aware of the stigma for single parents and single women when our grandparents were bring raised, but in the ancient days, it was far wrose. If you get deep into history, women out numbered men, and before it became big in the muslim faith, it was quite common to marry more then one women. Those men were celebrated because they saved a women from being left single.
basil67 likes this.
igotoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 1:39 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotoverit View Post
If you want to get technical, it does not pertain to women and in the ancient days, it was frowned upon to be single. We are aware of the stigma for single parents and single women when our grandparents were bring raised, but in the ancient days, it was far wrose. If you get deep into history, women out numbered men, and before it became big in the muslim faith, it was quite common to marry more then one women. Those men were celebrated because they saved a women from being left single.
And it stems before Canadian and American history. The bible was written from historical findings that were written before those countries even existed.
basil67 likes this.
igotoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 1:56 PM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
I think there's a Commandment from the Christian Bible that says "Thou shalt not covet another man's wife"
The full commandment from which that is taken is: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, not his manservant, not his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, not any thing that is thy neighbor’s." [Berean Bible]. This particular commandment speaks against jealousy and envy, moreso than against taking or stealing what is not yours.

The commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery" also speaks against 'not taking a second God'; it supports, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

The idea that 'adultery' refers only to having (or not having) sex with married people is, as igotoverit said, more of a human-made concept that was not so much present when the text for what became the original scriptures were progressively released.
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 1:58 PM   #5
Established Member
 
alphamale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Detroit, MI :lmao:
Posts: 32,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni_W View Post
nor his ass,
much to the chagrin of the gay community
__________________
Indeed
alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 2:09 PM   #6
Established Member
 
Happy Lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sunny Southwest
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
I think there's a Commandment from the Christian Bible that says "Thou shalt not covet another man's wife"
Yea, Yea, Yea... Yet another commandment I have broken.

If there is a Heaven and Hell, I already have a seat reserved on the express train to Hell.
__________________
All of my posts are my opinion based on my own experiences. Feel Free to disagree with me, this rodent has thick skin.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 2:24 PM   #7
Established Member
 
Arieswoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 3,563
Quote:
The commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery" also speaks against 'not taking a second God'; it supports, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

The idea that 'adultery' refers only to having (or not having) sex with married people is, as igotoverit said, more of a human-made concept that was not so much present when the text for what became the original scriptures were progressively released.
^^^ That isn't quite correct.

Adultery was forbidden in the time of Moses because (in the days before DNA testing) fatherhood could not be proved.

So a woman who committed adultery was in deep trouble because she would
a) produce a bastard child that her husband would have to support and
b) generally screw up the family blood lines.

That's why women who transgressed in this way were stoned to death

The 10 Commandments are the very basis of Mosaic Law ie; the Law of God as given to Moses on Mount Sinai, and are not a human invention.

Last edited by Arieswoman; 19th January 2018 at 2:26 PM..
Arieswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 2:28 PM   #8
Established Member
 
BarbedFenceRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Southwest
Posts: 391
Damn alpha...I just had popcorn go down the wrong hole while swallowing...ROFL!

Seriously, the commandments were around LOOOONG before any western ideal was in place or even contemplated. Moses brought down the commandments from the mount in the OT (old testament) which is originally the hebrew bible even before the torah.

To not "covet" is to have wanton need for. To having something that is not yours. As for adultery, since most marriages were consummated by the act of lovemaking in the first night, as was the beginning of the traditional view of family in the eyes of God 1 man, 1 woman together joined as 1.... In the hopes of procreation (being fruitful and multiply).
BarbedFenceRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 3:37 PM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arieswoman View Post
The 10 Commandments are the very basis of Mosaic Law ie; the Law of God as given to Moses on Mount Sinai, and are not a human invention.
Yes, I agree; the body or text of it was revealed to Moses through what I call 'progressive revelation'. That is, in this case progressive to what had been given to Abraham. Human interpretation is what causes confusion...the Law itself is not what gave men the right or some God-given authority to stone women (and yet, not men) to death for having non-marital sex. That is only how the Law was applied through human interpretation and desire to keep women 'in line'.
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 8:03 PM   #10
Established Member
 
major_merrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,033
As for coveting, I think coveting tend to happen as the precursor to adultery. So, by banning covetous behavior, God installs a kind of barrier to the final act. And avoiding adultery and therefore avoiding shame, bastard children, and messed up families is important enough that two commandments had to be instituted to prevent it. In the same way, avoiding stealing is important enough that God bans both coveting (the precursor) and the act itself. Interesting.

I am kind of new to the whole "having some guidelines for my life" deal, so I will no doubt be guilty of covetous and lustful behavior for a long time yet...
__________________
Die Liebe ist ein wildes Tier....Sie atmet dich sie sucht nach dir....Nistet auf gebrochenen Herzen....Geht auf Jagd bei Kuss und Kerzen

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 19th January 2018 at 9:26 PM..
major_merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 9:21 PM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsicle View Post
I think there's a Commandment from the Christian Bible that says "Thou shalt not covet another man's wife"
Why do you ask Pops?

Each poster will answer as they are but what is your question?
Timshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 10:41 PM   #12
Established Member
 
Arieswoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Cheshire, England
Posts: 3,563
RonniW,

Quote:
the Law itself is not what gave men the right or some God-given authority to stone women (and yet, not men) to death for having non-marital sex. That is only how the Law was applied through human interpretation and desire to keep women 'in line'.
I agree.

The Law was quite clear that adultery was wrong, for the reasons I cited. It also destablises family units (as we have seen from these pages).

However, the punishment of "stoning" was a man-made creation and a man could be stoned to death for rape.

See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoning
Arieswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 6:42 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Popsicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
Why do you ask Pops?

Each poster will answer as they are but what is your question?
Oh I wasn’t asking anything. Just reminding the OP, since she’s a Christian.
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 6:49 AM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arieswoman View Post
The Law was quite clear that adultery was wrong, for the reasons I cited.
The Law (on adultery) given to Moses may well have been for the reasons you cited. However, the esoteric meaning is to have only one God and not be disloyal to It.

Killing for any reason is, of course, against the Law - so, stoning men to death for rape does not make any better the stoning to death of women for non-marital sex.
(Unless I've misunderstood your reason for adding about the stoning of men?)
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 7:33 AM   #15
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni_W View Post
The Law (on adultery) given to Moses may well have been for the reasons you cited. However, the esoteric meaning is to have only one God and not be disloyal to It.

Killing for any reason is, of course, against the Law - so, stoning men to death for rape does not make any better the stoning to death of women for non-marital sex.
(Unless I've misunderstood your reason for adding about the stoning of men?)
The above bolded is incorrect.

Ten simple-to-understand laws were given by God to Moses on Mt.Sinai. They are listed in Exodus 20 and also in Deuteronomy 5. They were placed in two distinct categories, First: Commandment #'s 1-4 which pertained to Man's/Woman's relationship to God. Second: Commandment #'s 5-10 which outline Man's/Woman's relationship to his/her fellow man and/or woman.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me," is the first one of the ten commandments and is in the category of man's relationship to God.

"You shall not commit adultery," is number seven and is listed in the category of man's/woman's relationship to each other. It is clearly a commandment forbidding fornication between two humans.

The mosaic law spells things out very simply because it was given directly to Moses who was shepherding a people who were coming out of slavery in Egypt for 215 to 430 years (scholars vary in their opinions as to how long the enslavement lasted) and were a crude uneducated (through no fault of their own but because they'd been enslaved with no opportunity to attain an education) group.

To your point of spiritual adultery, yes, the Bible alludes to spiritual adultery in many places and when that is the case the Bible explains that it is, but this is not one of those places.
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Thou Shalts NoIDidn't Spirituality & Religious Beliefs 48 22nd June 2009 10:49 PM
thou shalt not kill knaveman Spirituality & Religious Beliefs 9 11th January 2009 5:51 AM
Holier than thou Moose Spirituality & Religious Beliefs 17 23rd November 2004 10:05 AM
Thou Shall Follow? AMD General Relationship Discussion 3 21st March 2003 7:08 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 5:16 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.