Leaving the faith will break her heart...how do I avoid this?

Michaelroyale

I've been connected with the jehovahs witnesses for many years via taking my mum to the meetings..as regards myself I've made many friends and associates over the years but went through a very difficult separation and finally a divorce earlier this year...my problem is I felt very let down with people I considered my friends during the divorce and feel I want to break free and live my own life doing something different with another hobby and social life that involves nothing to do with religion. ..The only problem is my mother is very very religious and eats and sleeps it.. she is also elderly and depends on me for a lot of things...she's been the most wonderful caring and supporting person you could ever wish for...so here's the problem how do I leave this religion and her on her own without breaking her heart and eventually ill probably meet a woman who's not a jw. .although my ex wasn't one...is there any way this could be possible to achieve without upsetting her?

When I read posts such as yours Michael, it makes me abundantly grateful of my own upbringing. Devout Christian (dad) and A(yep)gnostic (mom.) Both scientists who made quite a difference in their fields.

Dinner conversation was...unconventional. As I age, the debt of gratitude is more than I could convey.

My father said to me, often enough to have made an impact..."To thine own self be true." William Shakespeare.

Any path to real and sincere faith will come of your own volition and not for the sake of pacifying others. I believe that any religion that is intolerant of a personal relationship (this includes questioning) with God and insists on 'their' way is a cult.

Being true to yourself is not selfish. If you read this brilliant phrase by Shakespeare properly.....imo, he is saying that if you are true to your own words and action...then you will live being truthful to everyone you love.

• Like 1

You can't do anything to avoid breaking her heart. You have to live your life, and her reaction to you leaving the JWs is not on you. She will have to deal with her emotions regarding it. You can't take responsibility for her emotional response to all of this.

Are you saying she will break from you if you leave the JWs? As far as I know, that is usually what JWs do when a family member breaks away. It's normal to be worried about how she will cope without you. You might be more worried than her. You might find that she willing to sacrifice your help and you if you leave the faith. She might actually be okay with that.

• Like 1