Past Life Relationships

Not sure this is the right forum as generally it's more a spiritualist than religious issue per se. But I've often had flashbacks to past life relationship connections in my experience with current partners. This occurs as a definite knowing of what went on, usually the trauma involved and also an instant recognition of the person the first time we meet. I was always a bit.....well, you know it could just be my imagination trying to make sense of stuff, about it until my current relationship.

Here's my experience. Upon first meeting which was nothing more than prolonged eye contact across a crowded room, I knew him. Not just him but I knew exactly who he was to me in a past life. He had an identical experience of the same moment. We had never met before, and yet we instantly recognised each other as husband and wife.

On that same day, he approached me all excited and very flirty and at first my body responded in a way that I never behave at all. I am a very non-flirty person, or rather my flirting takes a different form than that. But instantly when he approached me I started behaving so weirdly that I actually stopped myself and internally said, who the hell is this in my body? I had a sense that I was being someone else and I've never felt that way before.

I shut that down and became for no reason at all internally angry at him and got this weird need to win. I refused all further attempts at intimacy and actually was a super-mean bitch after that. And all this in the space of about 6 mins with a perfect stranger who had done nothing at all to warrant that from me.

Shortly after meeting him for the first time is when I developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. To the degree that I had to have several months off work because I was incapacitated. Every time I met him after that I went into immediate flight or flight response. I felt like my life was in danger and that is not an exaggeration, I was also experiencing all the physical symptoms that someone does in a real life threatening situation, racing heart, sweating, adrenalin response, freezing and being unable to talk, needing the flee the situation. It was horrendous. And yet this person had never said nor done anything to illicit such a response.

Over the following six months I felt both an undeniable attraction to him and an inability to express it owing to the physical trauma going on within me. I ended up in bouts of deep grief and crying (not crying wailing, keening and feeling desperately bereft) at home after meeting him again or even just sighting him briefly that day. These bouts of deep grief would sometimes last all night and I could not self soothe, could not understand where it was coming from or why I was doing that. It got so bad my neighbours called the police believing that I was being grievously harmed.

I developed such a phobia of him that I had to force myself to go and talk to him at least a couple of times a week as exposure therapy because it was seriously interfering with my ability to just live. The road to love for us was very difficult. He wanted a relationship pretty much immediately and yet I kept giving him what he perceived to be the cold shoulder, when in actual fact I was battling a stress response just standing in his vicinity. He was convinced I just wasn't interested and I was convinced I had somewhat lost my sanity.

Now it all gets a bit woo here, so switch off now if you aren't this way inclined. I'm a tarot reader, been doing it for 20yrs basically and had lots of feedback from sitters as to the usefulness of what I had told them. So I felt pretty confident I could read this situation with some degree of objectivity. Naturally this is one method I turned to, in order to try and understand WTF was going on with me and him.

In my readings about him (there was many over that six month period) and me I always turned up all the marriage cards, the death card, the devil, judgement and justice. The surrounding cards also fleshed out what was going on. Basically tarot revealed to me we had indeed been married before and while I can't pinpoint the exact trauma involved it did involve a third party and a death (obviously) in the breakdown of that marriage. I know tarot is talking about the past here and not the present or future with this person because in those readings we were always represented as King & Queen Wands, and other cards pointed to a past issue and needing to move on from that. In readings about my present situation we are King & Queen Pentacles.

As I said, I used to take the idea of past life connections with people pretty much with a grain of salt until I experienced this one myself. There was just nothing in my current life to warrant this reaction to a total stranger who is not in any way a scary individual, or harmful and with whom I had no prior experiences.

Guess I just wanted to put it all down. Not sure I'm really wanting a response or comment. But it's an interesting phenomena thats for sure.

• Like 2

Hi Buddhist

I know you said you just wanted to share your thoughts, but I felt I wanted to add my story, as i often think about it, and have never heard anyone else talk about this.

When i was 16 i was out shopping, glanced across the shop, and locked eyes with a guy (he was 17) and in that very moment, it was like i already knew him, everything about him. It happened in a flash, and made me feel very strange and weak, so much so, I didn't want to have anything to do with him.

I tried to avoid him, but he followed me out of the shop and we got talking. I remember being very uncomfortable but also compelled to continue the conversation with him. We did go out for a few months and whenever we kissed, it was like kissing a brother! I never got over that feeling.

Although we lived relatively close by to each other, i only ever saw him a couple of times after we broke up. The last time was some years later when i was with a new guy. We were in traffic and he was standing there outside a pub - again our eyes locked as we recognised one another - and i was so glad i wasn't with him any more, but there was still a pull towards him.

He bought me a gold chain for valentines day when i was 16 - i still have the chain, i don't wear it often and don't have any issues wearing it, but i always see him clearly whenever i do.

He is the only person i have felt this way about. I always referred to him as my nemesis! Very strange phenomenon.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hi Kat,

Great story actually. I'm so glad I'm not the only person who feels this and experiences it. I think I'd love to explore hypnosis and past life regressions actually now I've experienced a lot the de ja vue thing with other people. I think for myself my PTSD suddenly flared up again this last week because through yoga I had finally released all the trauma stored in my hips and the tightness in my back (which I've had my entire life) is starting to release. It's brought a whole new wave of anxiety with it. I think I'm going to research cellular memory, I remember reading once that DNA actually stores trauma.

I've been getting pains all along my spine like nerve pinches and then the anxiety starts up, but if I prod and find the sore spot in my back and massage it the anxiety goes away fairly quickly. It's really odd because the skin on my back on the one side with the most pain is actually paper thin, has hyper pigmentation and different to the skin on the other side. I've seen Drs about it and no-one can tell me why that is. But it's actually where the most pain is. I think it's actually a past life injury that is physically showing up on my body. :eek: At least that's the only real explanation I can find for it because it seems to be linked to my PSTD.

I shudder to think what the hell went on.....:sick: I don't think I want any visuals on this one actually.

• Like 1

Hi Buddhist

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain - must be horrendous for you. I can't imagine what you are going through, but I do really hope that you come through it - anything is worth a try, I know I prefer the holistic approach to things. It's interesting that doctors can't tell why your one side is so different to the other?

I would be really scared to go through hypnosis tho - although i have thought about it, not for past lives but regarding a period of my life as a child that i have no memories of at all. it was a very traumatic time, only a few months or so but it was a very significant period. But like you, do i really want to stir anything up?

My ex remembers as a child going to a war aircraft museum, and seeing himself in the cockpit of an airplane - older and kitted out as a gunner. They were asked if they wanted to have a go at reassembling some piece of equipment and he did it without thinking. He was about 10 at the time. He thinks he is on his last life now (he could be right the way i feel about him lol) and that when he dies in this life, that will be it for him.

I used to get deja vu A LOT as a child and in my 20's - don't seem to get it much now. I kinda miss it!

Not past life but present life, there have been at least 4 people who have told me i look exactly like someone they know who is still alive - which i find creepy! I often wonder if i saw them myself would i freak out?!

Sorry, i am meandering off topic now! I just find the whole thing fascinating.

I truly hope you get some relief from your pain - and do post if you decide to try hypnosis! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend the book 'Journey of Souls". I found it really interesting. He used case studies of past life regressions to research what happens between lives. It says that we know to expect certain clues and those moment can trigger things for us.

I get a lot of feelings saying not to pursue things. When I was younger and didn't listen I always got into trouble so I listen to it now. When I met my XH I got the feeling I should be there when we kissed for the first time. Part of that book said we tend to know our parent ahead of time. I wonder if that was why XH was there - so we could be my child's parents?

I was actually thinking about it myself this week. When I was with BF last weekend I got a really strange vision of a boy standing next to a girl with blond curls. The girl winked at me. The vision felt really real and I was awake. For some reason it really bothered me and I couldn't get it out of my head. I would like to know what it was and why I reacted so strongly to it. It made me wonder if I knew BF in some other life? Who were these people? Why did I have such a reaction and see them then and there?