Newton was more right than he thought....

This thread is an off-shoot from a comment made in this thread (post #1190):

Good Quote: The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

It's not always clear whether in the long-run, the change is positive.... It's like Newton's 3rd Law of Motion:

"For every Action, there is an Equal and Opposite re-Action."

The great, revered, respected and universally-admired Gandhi-Ji stated:

"BE the change you wish to see in the world."

He campaigned, passively fought and vociferously demanded Independence for India, from the controlling shackles of the British Empire.

He strove tirelessly, and eventually won the battle.

But many of the positive changes he constructed for India and its vast populace, left disastrous consequences in their wake....

The Battle was apparently won; The War still rages, as it raged then, but in different guise.

And so it is with both the grand gestures, and the small. Whatever you do, however well-meaning, however sound your intentions and wholesome your Actions - there will be an 'opposite' pull.

Something, somewhere, however greatly or slightly, will suffer and be the less for it.

This is why, in Buddhism, we have to consider, at every step, every single spoke of the 8Fold Wheel, the Path recommended by the Buddha:

These are the first 4, and primarily concerned with The Virtues of Wisdom and Ethical Conduct.

Right VIew (perception, Understanding) -- Wisdom

Right Intention -- Wisdom

Right Speech -- Ethical Conduct

Right Action. -- Ethical Conduct

THOUGHTS....?

~~~~~

(The remaining 4:

Right Business/Livelihood -- Ethical Conduct

Right Effort -- Concentration

Right Mindfulness -- Concentration

Right Meditation -- Concentration )

Please Note:

(The word 'Right' is a translation of the word, 'Samma', which means 'proper', 'whole', 'thorough', 'integral', 'complete', and 'perfect' - related to English 'summit' - It does not necessarily mean 'right', as opposed to 'wrong'. However, as with all and any ancient texts, the translation heralds back to an era of limited resources of research and investigation, therefore, while the translation 'Right' is maintained, we now know it has different inferences.)

• Like 1
  • Author

Right View: Perception and understanding.

Our perception is almost always coloured by our SUBJECTIVE opinion. That is, speaking about arguments, discussions, conversations, gossip or visual observations, we have a tendency to look at things from OUR perspective. How such a topic or vision affects us, how WE feel about it, what WE think, feel, (would) say or (would) do.

It's a natural instinct; we view the world from inside our own mind, and we consider matters with regard to the effect they do, or might have, on us.

Buddhism teaches us that every situation is not just one-dimensional, or even just two.

We are taught that every situation is like a beautifully-cut diamond: It sparkles, shines and changes aspect, whichever way you look at it; but you can look at it from all sorts of different angles, and while the brilliance is constant, our perception differs with every turn.

Right View (Perception or Understanding), should be underpinned by Wisdom.

we should remember that there are other protagonists in the situation, and each one is different, perhaps has a different PoV, and may well view, perceive and understand the situation completely differently.

Our Perception is coloured by many things: Upbringing, parental- and peer-influences, societal, ethical, moral religious and legal factors, and our own level of learning, research and investigation.

so sometimes, when we are faced with difficult situations, discussions, topics.... it pays to pause and ask one's self:

What is motivating this person to speak and respond as they do? What structures are in place, to give them their View, perspective and understanding? What makes THEM tick? Why are they responding like this?

When I am faced with an angry customer, demanding satisfaction for what THEY perceive to be a flaw in our service or products, even though their desired consequence may go against Company Policy, I have to take a step back and consider the above.

Why has obtaining a refund on this cardigan, or that shirt, become such a huge issue, a matter of vital importance to them?

Firstly, I must add that ultimately, I'm not the one who has to make that final decision; I am not sufficiently elevated in the Company to have to shoulder that responsibility. (Thank goodness!)

But honestly, you'd think the way some people act, that their life depended on gaining satisfaction!

But what's running deeper?

Why this frustrated sense of importance, this attitude of entitlement?

What is making them tick?

Why do they resort to being rude, raising their voices?

Do they somehow feel superior?

Do they believe they are?

Do they Want to be considered so?

It's adopting an OBJECTIVE position.

Looking at things through a fresh and different pair of eyes.

Many times, people don't listen to understand.

They listen to respond.

And while a person is recounting their side of things, part of our audial sense switches off, our brain goes into 'respond' mode, and we have a reply formulating even before the other person has finished speaking.

The trick is to listen.

Listen to the other side.

Listen to the other side, FIRST.

Wisdom gives us the ability to digest and resolve matters more effectively, more satisfyingly, if we learn to adopt a more open view, and perceive and understand things from a broader perspective, than simply from where we are standing.

Sometimes it is definitely necessary, not to say vital, to stand our ground.

Mercifully, hopefully, such cases may be rare.

More often than not, it pays to Pause for Thought, and be prepared to expand our View until it includes the horizon, not just the small pebble at our feet.....

MuddyFootprints

I'm judgemental.

Your examples seem to be focussing on placing my views externally. I have a problem with that.

Shouldn't I be turning more inward than outward to decipher why my perspective may be skewed?

• Author

That's where the later steps on the path come.

However, I will hastily add; that the Eightfold Path is set in a specific order, is not to say that one 'step' is more, or less significant, or that they are sequential in the order given.

The Eightfold path is depicted as a
, which is appropriate in more ways than one.

Firstly, there is no 'first' spoke, or 'last'. As the wheel rotates, all the spokes work in unison to support the outer.

Secondly, the word '
dukkha
' (poorly translated as 'suffering' by-and-large), actually derives from a word meaning, 'distorted axle' thereby giving the cart an undulating uneven or maybe 'bumpy' ride, depending on the terrain....

The Buddha is seen as the hub.

The Dhamma /dharma, or the cumulative teachings are represented by the spokes,

and the Sangha - the community, the all-enveloping Buddhist calling, is the rim.

The axle, is Life.

The terrain, well, it speaks for itself....

Inner perception, insight, comes with Right Mindfulness, and Right Meditation. Introspection is supported by making Right Effort, and 'Walking the talk' or as is this case, the 'Path'.

• Like 2