It is selfish for someone to pray for my healing

Realist2008

Any prayer requests that are anything less than God's will be done are selfish in my humble opinion. Ever since I came down with cancer I have never once prayed for God to heal my body of cancer. How can I be sure it is not God's will for me to suffer and die from it? Maybe my suffering and death will be an opportunity for The Lord to put His glory on display so that others may come to know that yes He is a real and living God. We just can't presume to know the mind of God and His secret plans for how He will use my illness for His glory.

There's alot of well intentioned family and friends and maybe even some loveshack members who pray that some miraculous breakthrough will come for me or they pray that I will have many years ahead of me. I am going to be blunt and say these are selfish prayers and it really is shallow and shows they have no interest in God's purposes and plans for allowing suffering. They are looking at things from a human point of view when they pray for God to come and give me many more years ahead of me. Most Christians have no interest in the Father's business when they pray for improvement in temporal matters.

As a believer in the gospel of grace and peace I know that my hope is not in this temporal world. My hope is in the life to come. Better days are ahead in heaven.

I get so tired of all that positive thinking crap that others want to force down my throat just because death is an uncomfortable topic to talk about. Nobody really has my best interests at heart to be praying that I get more years.

I read a thread in the health section the other day by a gentleman who was concerned about a spot that his doctors found on a chest X ray. Almost everybody in that thread basically told him there's nothing to worry about and that everything is going to be ok. How do they know everything is going to be ok? They don't know and they are giving him false hope. If I was in the OP's position I would feel a disservice to me for people to give me false hope by saying "well it is probably benign so don't worry".

Maybe just maybe his intuition or gut is telling him that he is headed for a serious health crisis. Nobody encouraged him to go with his gut instincts. All the posters just tried to rationalize it away for him with false hope. I don't need that from friends. I don't need that from doctors. I need a true friend who will encourage me to go with my intuition if my intuition tells me that my health situation is hopeless and very grave. I don't need friends who tell me that I don't have to worry about the town being on fire when it may be on fire.

• Author
Realist2008

I have suffered in the past with a 2 week hospital stay. During that time I was cut up, sliced and diced and underwent 3 surgical biopsies. I was put under for each one. Woke up in excruciating pain like someone had shot me. I wanted to die. Then after being discharged from the hospital it was 3 months of aggressive chemotherapy and then 3 weeks of radiation. I lost my sense of taste for 5 weeks. I experienced fatigue from hell.

God used all that suffering for His glory because everyone close to me said it was just phenomenal that I was tough and was a good sport about everything. Even the hospital staff was in awe of how meek my attitude was as a patient. I was very calm the whole time. I can't take credit for any of it. It was all the power of God's grace at work in me. If I had to do it all over again I would go through every ordeal of it every moment.

I've been to hell and it is only the beginning. I have lots of emotional and physical challenges to deal with as I get closer to the end of my life.

Edited by Realist2008