Hi thank you for all the comments on my thread about the evolution.

If you believe that God created the world, what's your take on the big bang?

Thanks,

The first episode of "Cosmos" talked about the big bang. As I watched it, I was amazed (literally, mouth dropped open, chills up & down my spine) at the power and creativity of God.

They (scientists) estimate the big bang happened about 14 billion years ago. I want to know, what was there before that? Nothing? Some theorize that the universe has always existed; there's no beginning to it. I can't even begin to grasp that.

Just last week they announced the discovery of "ripples in space-time" - gravitational waves from the beginning of the big bang. Now they're talking about there may be other universes as well as ours. Completely blows my mind.

Gravitational waves discovery: 'We have a first tantalising glimpse of the cosmic birth pangs' | Science | The Observer

In short, the more I learn about our universe, the stronger my faith in God (and my awe, and my fear of Him) becomes!

• Author
The first episode of "Cosmos" talked about the big bang. As I watched it, I was amazed (literally, mouth dropped open, chills up & down my spine) at the power and creativity of God.

In short, the more I learn about our universe, the stronger my faith in God (and my awe, and my fear of Him) becomes!

Could you explain why you think it's something God did?

Do you also believe everything in the universe is influenced by God's will?

Thanks,

Could you explain why you think it's something God did?

Because it is my faith, it's what I believe in. I cannot explain it in scientific terms. Although logic does play a supporting role - it's just all too... magnificent (pathetically understated) to have happened on random chance, out of nothing / from nothing. Intelligent design is written all over it.

Do you also believe everything in the universe is influenced by God's will?

I believe everything in the universe is BECAUSE OF God's will. It's all unfolding - or expanding :D - as it should. Us humans are just now starting to grasp the tiniest tiny tip of the tip of the iceberg. We got a lot of catching up to do.

• Like 1
it's just all too... magnificent (pathetically understated) to have happened on random chance, out of nothing / from nothing.

Why?

Intelligent design is written all over it.
Again, why... or where?

I understand faith based on personal experiences and what many people call the presence of the holy spirit. But I am perplexed as to why one would see any need for a god here.

From my point of view, the problem is that we are trying to understand things much greater than ourselves that are not within our realm of experience, so we are awed by our own simple-mindedness. We realize that the universe(s) is/are far more complex than anything we know or understand. And in that we see beauty because that is how our minds work.

• Like 1
Why?

Because an object at rest tends to stay at rest? Nothing happens in a vacuum? I don't know. Gut instinct + the brain God gave me. That's about the best I can do for now, Robert.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi thank you for all the comments on my thread about the evolution.

If you believe that God created the world, what's your take on the big bang?

Thanks,

God created two particles and rammed them together and created the universe, BIG BANG!

Because an object at rest tends to stay at rest? Nothing happens in a vacuum? I don't know. Gut instinct + the brain God gave me. That's about the best I can do for now, Robert.

When we don't know, as you don't, it's best to say "we don't know", not to make a positive claim that "Intelligent design is written all over it". That's called God of the Gaps, and it's an argument from ignorance fallacy.

Gut instinct is demonstrably unreliable, and you can't assume that God gave you your brain when you want to prove that there's a God, that's circular reasoning fallacy.

When we don't know, as you don't, it's best to say "we don't know", not to make a positive claim that "Intelligent design is written all over it". That's called God of the Gaps, and it's an argument from ignorance fallacy.

Gut instinct is demonstrably unreliable, and you can't assume that God gave you your brain when you want to prove that there's a God, that's circular reasoning fallacy.

Why yes, yes I certainly can assume that - and believe it too - with or without the proof that you or anyone else demands. I'm not here to argue or try to prove to anyone there's a God. I was simply responding to the OP's query: "What's your take on the big bang?"

But thanks for the dance request. :laugh:

roger136913

So you Question the God Theory ?

But believe in

The Big Bang is a Theory !

Each his or her own.

If the known Universe is 12.7 Billion years old, it will never be truly understood.

I don't go to church, but I believe in God. If it's possible 2 atoms collided and from that explosion it would create so much matter to make a Universe?? Nah....I don't buy it, then again it's a Theory.

As deadly and hostile the Universe is, it has Life. I look at it this way..

God needed more space, each planet that has life was a stepping block to create Us. The more he tried, the bigger the Universe. To me that is my take on Darwin'S.

It's cool if people don't share belief's. Are you all into Astronomy?

Had a 10" LX200 F/10 goto

Loved watching Jupiter and yep have seen the great Red spot. Have pics, with 4 of her moons. Seen Mar, Saturn. Neptune was a Blue dot lol..

roger136913

Nothing in space is at rest think of this..

The Earth spins at 1,000 per hour,

Travels around the sun at 67,062 miles per hour

The Solar System is traveling around the Milky Way at 420,000 MPH

The Milky way is moving at an Est 2,237,000 MPH through the Universe..

It might not look like it's moving but there is nothing at Rest in space!

Why yes, yes I certainly can assume that - and believe it too - with or without the proof that you or anyone else demands. I'm not here to argue or try to prove to anyone there's a God. I was simply responding to the OP's query: "What's your take on the big bang?"

But thanks for the dance request. :laugh:

So you're accepting your arguments/reasoning was fallacious and wrong, and still believe it. Good to know :)

UpwardForward

Completeness of detail, perfection. None of it could have happened without the design of a Supreme being. God.

• Like 2
UpwardForward
So you're accepting your arguments/reasoning was fallacious and wrong, and still believe it. Good to know :)

Is this the same oppressed Clair who was originally terrorized by her step mother?

I'd say God has been pretty good to you - and with renewal.

• Like 1
Is this the same oppressed Clair who was originally terrorized by her step mother?

Yeah that's me, plus some university education now! :)

I'd say God has been pretty good to you - and with renewal.

Exactly how? By letting my mom die when I was 5? By letting my step mother terrorize me for 13 years? If I wanna credit God for getting me out of that situation, I will also blame him for getting me into it, and the good do NOT outweigh the bad.

My father, my therapist and the lovely people here helped me to get out of that situation, not God.

roger136913

Clair93

You have to separate the meaning if God.

I believe in God, I don't preach or go to church by anymeans..

God did not let your mother die... God gave you a gift, it's called free thinking. Good or bad you have it.

I lost my Dad when I was 3.5 years old I am now 48. God did not take my Dad, his life style did.

It seems when ever something bad happens people blame God, when it's far from it.. Also if God saved everyone how many people would be here???

When something goes wrong people look for a meaning of why, the God complex get's it all the time.

Again I don't preach, just making a point. I don't follow the Bible by anymeans and the only sin I have yet to make is thow shall not kill.

Clair93

You have to separate the meaning if God.

I believe in God, I don't preach or go to church by anymeans..

God did not let your mother die... God gave you a gift, it's called free thinking. Good or bad you have it.

I lost my Dad when I was 3.5 years old I am now 48. God did not take my Dad, his life style did.

It seems when ever something bad happens people blame God, when it's far from it.. Also if God saved everyone how many people would be here???

When something goes wrong people look for a meaning of why, the God complex get's it all the time.

Again I don't preach, just making a point. I don't follow the Bible by anymeans and the only sin I have yet to make is thow shall not kill.

Well that's not what I'm saying. If we attribute good things in our lives to God, it follows that we have to assume he's responsible for bad stuff too. I was only answering to the point he made, that God was good to me based on my past (which is on another topic, if you wanna have a look).

I don't blame God for anything, because things that don't exsit can't be responsible for anything, good or bad. :)