There are so many different religions: Which should I believe in?

Though my parents always said they believed in God we were not "church going people."

Now that I am a adult God is a big part of my life but there are so many different religions. How do you know which

to believe in?

Certain ones make more sense to me than others but I don't know if I should follow them. I also

don't want to second guess God. I do believe in him but the bible sais you either believe all the way, or not at all.

If I'm not sure what to believe in, how do I believe? If I don't believe am I going to hell?

Also a friend says that if I am not baptized I am going to hell. Does the bible say this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

HokeyReligions

Religion is deeply personal and no one can tell you what or how to believe. I would suggest that you speak to the ministers of several churches, sit in on their services and talk to parishioners. If you are not comfortable or satisfied with one, leave it and find another. You are talking about the christian faith and even though there are so many variations/interpretations on the Bible, they all still worship one God.

The more you learn the more questions you may have. Write them down and ask the ministers where their particular branch of belief stands on these questions. I once asked a whole bunch of ministers in different churches if animals have souls and I got a lot of different answeres and all with references in the Bible. Sometimes it was the same reference but a different interpretation!

I think you should adopt the church where you most feel at home, that has a belief system that you feel you are able to uphold as you live out its message. That might be a Jewish community, a Protestant or Catholic one, it might even be Muslim or some other faith belief.

For a while I was a sponsor for the local Catholic church's RCIA process, and a lot of the converts would say that they decided that this was the place for them because they felt so at home with what the church taught, and on a number of issues. And I'm sure it's the same with other religions and their followers. They go where their heart is.

[color=green]If I'm not sure what to believe in, how do I believe? If I don't believe am I going to hell?[/color]

read up and talk to people about the churches they attend; do research and by all means attend services at different places. I think the fact that you're trying to find a faith home, a way to worship your God, supercedes the question of going to hell. I was raised Catholic and don't plan to change my affiliation with the church, but I don't think that necessarily means those folks who worship otherwise are going to hell, because only God makes that judgment. And it's a bit snotty of someone to tell you that you're going to hell because you don't believe as they do ... they've got the kind of insight into your soul that God does?

As Christians, we believe that Jesus sacrificed his live for us to pay for our sins. All sins, of all peoples, even those of non-believers. He didn't say "only Catholics," or "only Baptists," and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is full of sh*t! Some "Christians" give Christianity a bad rap, because they will profess loudly with their mouths yet refuse to follow through with acts of belief (like loving their fellow man or living "right"). Like the story of Jesus and the money-changers in the temple. He chased them out because they were hypocrites, saying they were doing it for the Lord, but really were just interested in fulfilling their own needs and not caring a whit about God.

I am kind of like you too. I was raised in the Church of Christ, so that's what I am used to. But I don't really get anything out of my hometown church. It's a very country, small southern church, and the sermons don't really appeal to me. I would love to find a church that my husband and I could both go to and get into and both like it. I was raised to go to church, but I just don't see the point of going just to be seen there. I feel like I am a hypocrite if I go just to be seen and don't get anything out of the sermons.

It's hard to know what to believe. I know I believe in God, but like you said, there are so many different religions, how do you know which one is right for you?

My best advice is just to go to several different churches and sit in on the sermons, pay attention, see how they worship, meet people, and see which ones most appeal to you. I am not talking about which ones entertain you the most, because that's not what church is about. But see which ones have the sermons that you can really listen to and get something out of.

But what you personally believe is totally up to you. Noone can tell you what you should believe. There is no right or wrong. It is a matter of personal opinion. Only you can decide what to believe.

Best of Luck to you!

Pixie you don't have to belive in any.

I feel that religious beliefs just start wars between different religions if you dont belive me, over 70% of all wars were to do with religion. Example:- World War 2 Mr Hitler hated Jews, just because they were jews no other reason he blamed them for the problems in germany, thats sad but true. The IRA and the UK they are Terriosts they kill and bomb because of land and religion. The Cold War etc USSR and the comminists were getting strong and the USA didnt want that. It's all about what people belive in and what they fight for. Well i say only fight for you, your family and friends. People wont like this but if there was no Religion and Greed there would be NO WAR! think about it, read about the wars and their reasons for it and you will find at least a form of them.

1 - why do you have to belong to any religion? you can simply believe in God, have a personal relationship with it, and forget all these traditions and rules. But, if you feel you'd LIKE to be part of a religious group (i.e. it's more of a social issue than a religious one), it's probably best to go check out a few - try a few churches, a few sinagogues, a few mosks, etc. to find one you like.

2 - religion is never the cause of war. it's the excuse leaders use to explain and excuse the war in the eyes of the masses. certainly debatable, but that's my view.

-yes

it's not a single cause of war but it plays a factor..... vietnam for example between the north and south because of communism. The USA didn't want them to be another communist state but thats political (same to do with what people belive etc...)

tackleboxteddybear

What you might want to do is take a course in philosophy or theology.

Use your mind maybe create your own form of Ideology.

There are many a religion to pic from & the bad thing is that they are pretty much against the other.I was born & baptised episcipalian & my mother took me to a lutheren church & supposedly there is a jewish great great grandmother a nazi philospher & an italian in my blood lines so im kinda mixed in a since & have all these diverse beliefs in my background.

I guess what im trying to say is dont let anyone force you into any idealism because who knows there may be more than one god or there just might be no god at all.

& when & if you decide dont get fanatical or maniacal.Cause thats when a personal belief becomes dangerous to those around you its kinda like alcholism.& please dont be one of those ppl who push your beliefs onto others & condem them to the all time numba one line of "your goin to hell".

& dont do like the PPL in alabama who got all upset because they removed the ten commandments from the courthouse because they dont understand how to be a patriot nor do they understand "THE SEPERATION OF CHURCH & STATE"

Remember with religious beliefs comes great responsibility.Dont be careless.

Choose what you like.

woh woh - communism is not a religion. it's an ideology, or a regime. big difference! i agree that there're conflicts over how the country should be governed.

-yes

over 70% of all wars were to do with religion.

Comletely untrue. Wars are fought over money and territory. Politicians use religion to fuel hatred because people don't get upset enough about money or territory. People who believe the politicians then go to war to fight 'on religious grounds' but, when the war is won, it's the politicians who prevail.

People just do not understand how easy they are to manipulate. Too, they are sheep unwilling to question their leaders.

Never ask others what spiritual path to follow. Go inside of yourself, where God resides, and follow the path that is right for you. Every man is the architect of his own salvation. Following the path of others will only lead you to where THEY want to go.

• 1 month later...