Choosing a Church

For those of you that go to church, how do you know what church is right for you? I am a Christian, but a particular denomination is not important to me. I have visited many churches in the area and I feel like I'm being too picky. We've been to all kinds of denominations and all different types of services. My H and I discuss why he likes one and I don't or I like one and he doesn't. Or we like the pastor but not the music, the people are friendly but the location is not convenient...etc, etc. We want to belong to a church family, but wonder how those of you that are part of church family chose where you are?

• Author
For me it was all based whether or not the Word of God is actually being taught. Sometimes I like the Minister, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I like the choir, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I like the people and sometimes they make me want to smack somebody silly. But I am there to learn and worship. My mom told me years ago that I would never find a place completely free of drama or where everyone lived like Christ, in short I would never find the perfect place.

But she did say the body of Christ isn't in one particular building or even in all the members of a congregation, but if you are a child of God you may even be able to influence better behavior in those around you. Maybe you can find one you can lend your talent to. Oh, yeah I attend a church that is wwwwaaayyyy out of my way. Good luck finding what fits you best. :)

Thanks Bent! You are so wise. The Word of God is THE most important thing we look for. Otherwise, it's a bunch of fluff. And yes, you are right about people and drama. We belonged to church one time that could have been a reality show. The drama was never ending. :laugh:

When I moved the first Sunday I went to the nearest church. The second Sunday after scouting out the area I went to a church of the tradition I had chosen a few years before and I stayed. I was single but I did join in and they became family eventhough a full third are immigrants from Nigeria and another third are old people from the neighborhood undergoing a massive demographic shift.

Find good enough and join in

But she did say the body of Christ isn't in one particular building or even in all the members of a congregation, but if you are a child of God you may even be able to influence better behavior in those around you. Maybe you can find one you can lend your talent to. Oh, yeah I attend a church that is wwwwaaayyyy out of my way. Good luck finding what fits you best. :)

You're mom could not have been more correct.

Lolalove, have you prayed on this? Let the Lord decide what path you should take. He knows best and will give all the signs you need to make the right decision.