is there happiness or satisfaction in life?

personnaly, I'm 20 years old, a pharmacy student, it's a hellish major

I convinced myself that after I graduate, I'll definetly have a high paying job, I'll save money in the bank that makes sure that even if I lose my job, the bank interest would still keep me alive and stable, I'll travel and see the world, I'll buy everythign I desire, I will share my wealth with some lucky lady that deserves it...

but as time passes by, I see humans unhappy, some of the people I look up to and wish I were in their shoes, unhappy, for several unknown(to me) reasons, everyone wishing he/she was someone else, and that someone wishing the same, I had a friend of mine telling me he wishes he had my life, because I am tall he is short and my parents are doing better than his parents...and I am unsatisfied with what I have

I'm sure there is some guy in africa going "if only I could just make sure that I will find food tomorrow, and a warm bed to sleep in, my life would be complete"

does that feeling ever go away?

Happiness is being OK with exactly who you are and where you are at the moment. If you're not, move to another spot. Happiness eludes many people because somewhere along the line their happiness plug gets pulled. There is no key to it and it doesn't have a thing to do with money, love, education, sex or whatever. As a matter of fact, you can have all those things and be totally miserable.

Happiness is being content with the present and looking forward to tomorrow. I've never, ever met a happy person who was centered on themselves. The absolute key to true happiness is being concerned for the welfare of others. To the extent that you can get into the worlds of other people and help them improve their lot in life is the extent that you will be happy forever.

No matter where you are, even in abject poverty, you can be very happy if you simply move away from yourself. That, my friend, is a secret few people understand.

deux ex machina

Being curious and interacting with people, and learning about the world have always taken me out of myself.

Giving makes one happy when it is done with the right motivation.

Even when I've been depressed - there's always some spark in me that refuses to die.

There can be beauty even within unhappiness.

It's down to you to find those things that speak to you.

There have been studies done that show lottery winners come back to their "baseline" happiness within 5 years.

Externals only take you so far.

Look backwards at the moments that made you feel happy and contented. It's usually the simplest things in life, like waking up one morning to a beautiful, sunny day.

Complex or BIG things, like accomplishments, make life interesting and challenging but ultimately, hearing bird song when you wake up feeling refreshed, makes you more happy.

• Author

Look backwards at the moments that made you feel happy and contented. It's usually the simplest things in life, like waking up one morning to a beautiful, sunny day.

my life has not changed much from 10 years ago till now, but I was happier with it then, I was a dfferent person myself

I feel as if the more you learn, the more you know what you are missing

I don't think the uneducated african teenager barely surviving feels sad because he does not have a ferrari and a mansion on the beach, a girlfriend and goes out every night

he does not know they exist

for me right now, I know what I am missing, a girlfriend, stability, I really don't know where I will be in 5 years? will I graduate? (pharmacy is not easy, and they don't let you repeat courses and they require a really high average)

afetrwards I'll have the worries of finding a job, getting married

I often find myself thinking about famous rich people and wondering, what the hell could be keeping them awake late at night?

Money doesn't make you happy, it only makes life easier in some ways and more complex in others.

Look at what you already have. Using your example of an african child, he/she would look at you and wish for what you have. You look to what wealthy people have and wish for that. The wealthy people you speak of, look to people who are wealthier.

At the end of the day, none are happy with what they already have.

That feeling probably does not go away for a lot of things because they do not realise that possessing things will never make them happy, and what they actually feed off is acquisition, not possession. And in our society there is always something bigger, better, faster, shinier, more modern than what we have.

If you set yourself down that path you will never find contentment.

Cheers,

D.

We set ourselves up for unhappiness when we look to other people to set the course for us.

Why did you go into pharmacy school? For the money? The money will not fulfill you. Compounding medicines might. Knowing that what you do will ultimately help others might.

Why do you think some lady will be lucky to share your potential wealth? Why won't you consider yourself lucky to find someone to spend your life with instead? This thinking not only makes you unhappy it will make the "lucky" lady unhappy too.

Don't look to things and status to make you happy. Being content with who and what you are will make you happy. Life is not about marking off another thing on your TO DO list. Pharmacy school? Check. Good paying job? Check. Mrs. Lucky? Check. Happiness doesn't work like this. Life doens't work like this.