To Change or Not To Change .... That is the question

Nina_wondering

I divorced at 38 after I had my first son. I took this opportunity to go back to school on a part-time basis while at the same time being a full-time mom.

It took me about 8 years, but I finally finished an undergrad degree in business, and minors in physiology and political science. I graduated Magna Cum Laude.

By this time, my son was almost nine and I had to go back to work because funds were, to say the least, very tight.

I've been working now for five years. The work I do now is similar to what I did before I left to be a mom and part-time student. With this current employer, there is considerable job security. While my salary is better than it ever has been, I feel there's definately room for improvement.

One final point I'd like to make before I present the Dilemma.

I've taken extremely good care of myself all of my life, I'm now 52 years old, but most people think I'm in my early 30s. I'd like to point out that I view this as part of my dillema. So, with this being said, I will state the dilemma:

I have an opportunity to go back to university for one year to do an accelerated BSN, possibly with a subsequent work contract (possibly). Do I give up my current position and go back to school for one year hoping that I won't be discriminated against if prospective employers find out my age or do I stay where I am for the next 20 years.

Thanks for listening. Your thoughts would be appreciated !

Is this 3rd option worth considering?

Change employers. It has to be for more money, or you just won't go.

Higher education pays $ benefits over the years, you'll have less working years to reap any benefits.

When you re enter the work force, you'll be competing against lesser paid younger workers.

Just my 2 cents, good luck

Samantha2005

There are lots of women over 40 going back to school and changing careers, just because you're 52 doesn't mean anything.

You say you've taken good care of yourself, you look early 30ish (and I'd assume you must feel that way too) then you shouldn't hesitate.

After all, look at Goldie Hawn, Kim Bassinger, Cheryl Tiegs, Christy Brinkley... all are between 50 and 62 years old.

My uncle is like you say you are, looks like a slightly aging adolescent and started in a new field, carreer, whatever you want to call it with the government in finger-printing (he's a retired naval officer) and he was in his very late 50s or early 60s !!

So go for it girl. You'll do alot better than those who relegate themselves to just sitting around getting old and just waiting to die.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well !!! :)