LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Tips for waking up at 5am everyday and getting a good night sleep

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Established Member

Tips for waking up at 5am everyday and getting a good night sleep

I really want to start waking up early for personal reasons and to get a little alone time for me in a home where I am constantly surrounded by people. Maybe even get time in the kitchen and bathroom without having to rush. Maybe even start working out.

I want to wake up at 5 am every single day but I have trouble falling asleep a night and even when I get to bed at 9 to wake up at 5 I just can't seem to fall asleep.

Does anyone have to tips to wake up at 5 am feeling refreshed and ready to take it take on the world?

I currently wake up at 7 am everyday and have trouble with it so this is going to be a journey.
HiCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Established Member

You probably know not eat right before you go to bed as your body will be more rested in the morning if you sleep on an empty stomach? Have at least three hours between food an bedtime!
LivingWaterPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 4:40 PM   #3
Established Member

It takes time to rewire your brain. Stop using your phone and other devices at least an hour before bedtime and create a routine you'll follow every night to teach your brain that doing certain tasks means shutting down is gonna be required soon.

Brush your teeth/do your regular hygiene tasks at around 20, then lay down and read a book or do something boring (but don't surf on Facebook or chat), maybe use ear plugs if you can still hear sounds of other people's activities at that time. Also, there are various supplements that help produce melatonin which aids faster falling asleep (or lemon balm tea works pretty well for me, but there's a risk you might wake up needing to pee).
Lorenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 5:29 PM   #4
Established Member

It's honestly a body clock issue.

What i'd suggest: limit your sugar intake, less screen time at night. Telly seems fine. Ideally, you want your body clock to operate between 9.30pm (maybe 10pm) til 5am, in sleep mode.

I find i wake up naturally at about 5 every dsy, but am bushed and ready for bed around 9.30-10pm every night, but that has come with time over extremely early starting hours!
Soak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 7:13 PM   #5
Established Member

Waking up before dawn is unnatural. Waking up with the sun is more natural. I suggest you stop drinking all caffeine because it makes you loggy in the morning until you drink more of it like any other drug. Try that for 2 months and see if you're sleeping better.
Old 19th September 2017, 8:04 PM   #6
Established Member

I wake up at 5:30 week day mornings, and I am usually in bed between 11:00 and 11:30 pm.

And I tend to have tons of energy.

My tips?

Eat well, limit sugars

EXERCISE- I run or at least walk every day. This is critical to allowing me to unwind and sleep, and to boost my afternoon energy. Plus I hike or horse back ride in the evening.

Caffeine - I have a cup of coffee (I LOVE the taste) around 9-10 each morning. Not earlier (I don't need it to wake up) never later, and not more than a cup.

Limit screens before bed - try to unwind an hour before. Read a book, listen to relaxing music etc.

For me, nothing allows me to fall asleep better than an orgasm. So that is part of my route as well.
JuneL likes this.
RecentChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCrunchy View Post
I really want to start waking up early for personal reasons and to get a little alone time for me in a home where I am constantly surrounded by people. Maybe even get time in the kitchen and bathroom without having to rush. Maybe even start working out.

I want to wake up at 5 am every single day but I have trouble falling asleep a night and even when I get to bed at 9 to wake up at 5 I just can't seem to fall asleep.

Does anyone have to tips to wake up at 5 am feeling refreshed and ready to take it take on the world?

I currently wake up at 7 am everyday and have trouble with it so this is going to be a journey.
Take a hot bath with epsom salts before bed. Cut out any sugars and caffeine early in the day.

Work out daily, brisk walks in the evening and do yoga daily. This will help you feel a bit more energy waking up.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Established Member

IMO, waking up early is overrated. There isn't really anything you can do at 5am that you can't do at 9pm. Why force yourself to do something that feels unnatural to you?

That being said, when I needed to reset my sleep cycle (after traveling to a different time zone, etc), I've found that melatonin helps. Of course, also follow basic sleep hygiene (have a pre-bed routine like taking a warm bath, no caffeine 6 hrs prior, make sure your bed is comfy, your room dark and slightly cool, etc) - but you should be doing that anyway.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:09 PM   #9
Established Member

It is actually very easy. I don't believe the whole morning/night type of people, it is just a matter of motivation and/or needs to be one or the other.

Easiest way to reset your clock: have an all nighter. Say your typical need is 7 hours of sleep. Just don't go to bed at all the night and the day after: go to sleep exactly 7 hours before the expected wake up time (10 pm ofr 5 am in your case). Then be very strict in repeating the 10 pm bedtime the next few days. You'd be shoked how easy your body will adapt: you'd be up at 5 am without an alarm clock before you know it. This method always worked flawlessly for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCrunchy View Post

No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Established Member

There isn't really anything you can do at 5am that you can't do at 9pm - I wish... Unfortunately many errands (admin stuff, d-r visits etc) can be run only at daytime (in most locations), so any time after 6 pm is useless in that sense...

For working out time of the day matters a lot.

For being in your own company (what OP wants) - early mornings are priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
IMO, waking up early is overrated. There isn't really anything you can do at 5am that you can't do at 9pm. Why force yourself to do something that feels unnatural to you?

That being said, when I needed to reset my sleep cycle (after traveling to a different time zone, etc), I've found that melatonin helps. Of course, also follow basic sleep hygiene (have a pre-bed routine like taking a warm bath, no caffeine 6 hrs prior, make sure your bed is comfy, your room dark and slightly cool, etc) - but you should be doing that anyway.
JuneL and HiCrunchy like this.
No_Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 2:57 PM   #11
Established Member

We have natural body cycles. You can reset them to some degree, but studies show it's better for us if we live closer to the way they are supposed to be.

Thing is you need to consistently get to bed early enough to wake up at that time. If it isn't realistic to get to bed by 9 or 10 almost every night, it probably won't be successful for you.
GunslingerRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 9:54 PM   #12
Established Member

Go to sleep around eight. It gets easier if you are consistent
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 10:08 PM   #13
Established Member

I agree about going to bed around 8 or 9 consistently. However to start that new bedtime you need to be super tired.

This is what you could try:

One night stay awake really, really late. Like 2 am or something. Get up at 5am regardless of how tired you are. It will suck but the "suck" will be short lived. Don't drive your car because you could be dangerous. Take the bus or something instead.

That night you will be so tired that you can go to bed at 8. Then get up at 5am and BAM the new routine begins.
Cersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 11:11 AM   #14
Established Member

I would find it beyond depressing to have to go to bed at 9pm. I also see no appeal of getting up at 5am.

My work is flexible. I generally wake up at 9, I am work by 10 and got to bed at midnight-1am

On the weekends, I am rarely up before noon.
Elswyth likes this.
Old 14th October 2017, 11:15 AM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Go View Post
There isn't really anything you can do at 5am that you can't do at 9pm - I wish... Unfortunately many errands (admin stuff, d-r visits etc) can be run only at daytime (in most locations), so any time after 6 pm is useless in that sense...

For working out time of the day matters a lot.
But the OP wants to wake up at 5am. I don't know about where you live, but here the earliest you can do any admin stuff or Dr visits is 8am (sometimes 9am), not 5am!

I don't see how working out at 5am is better than 9pm? It's equally dark and cold.

Quote:
For being in your own company (what OP wants) - early mornings are priceless.
I find 2am best for that.
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote