what is classy?

meta.morphate

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I'm wondering what are different people's take on being "classy" ? It's a term that gets thrown around a lot but what makes the difference between someone you'd call classy and someone you wouldn't?

I think Urban Dictionary sums it up well:

Classy is not about clothes, makeup, hairstyles, accessories. It is not about being posh, or wealthy.

A classy girl is kind, gentle, sweet, empathetic, caring. She is giving, loving... she is a good person. She is polite. She has good manners and is a very pleasant person to know. She is a good friend.

You can dress classy, you can stand, sit, and walk classy, but true class is on the inside. If you gossip and insult, if you're judgemental, if you're cruel and hateful and immature, you are not classy, no matter what clothes you pick out, where you got them from, no matter how much money you have, no matter how you sit at the dinner table, you are not classy. Respect yourself and respect others and you will be classy.

• Like 5
littleblackheart

To me, classy is rising above it against adversity or provocation, and acknowledging mistakes with good grace without holding a grudge.

• Like 3

The origins of class were in land ownership and where you stood in that heirarchy. Eg, good ownership equalled higher class. That is why the word class is associated with better, a cut above the rest, effortlessness etc.

These days, the concept of class can be broken down into two broad implications: social class (where one stands on the social heirarchy), and class as behaviour.

I think you are referring to the latter in your post.

So, class to me refers to the attitude that you hold about yourself, others, and everything around you. It is an attitude, so it is relatively inflexible, and difficult to change (do research on attitudes vs behaviour). Social psych research shows that attitudes tend to drive behaviour (sorry, no direct references at hand).

From our attitudes comes behaviour, that is, how we carry ourselves, and the actions we send out around us, and the actions we output into the environment.

Having said all that, some behaviours that i personally find consistent with a classy attitude (and are hence classy behaviours) are:

- how you carry yourself (wuth self respect, pride?)

- Your healthy and self respecting view of yourself which is obvious to others

- What you choose to invest your time and energy in - are you intentional and productive, or do you waste your time with meaningless events and drama?

- how you handle adversity (with a measured, sensible approach? Or chaotically?)

- How you treat and adress others?

- How you determine that you should be treated?

A truely classy person would carry themselves well, display extreme etiquette with respect to self and others, make discerning choices, think and speak intelligently and articulately, and just have a general level of decorum that radiates from within, and from an attitude of discernment and respect.

IMO, classy people tend to do things well, with economy, an apparent sense of ease, and decorum. They also tend to handle opposition and challenge well, or 'with class' so to speak!

Edited by Soak
todreaminblue

classy is all attitude.....its in the way you treat people its in how you can keep a lid on anger and petty emotions.......there's this song this thread question reminds me of by lisa stansfield about being all woman.....lyrics about her hair being a mess ,working hard and smiling at her husband at the end fo the day..........not being a lady but all woman.....that to me is classy.....

its not about looks or dress or style or level in society its in the way you hold yourself true to who you are and you don't sway from it.....recognising weakness in yourself before recognising weakness in others...is classy...recognising your own strengths and being true to them....like kindness compassion sweetness helpfulness gentleness but most of all forgiving of others and bringing out the strengths in them.......all classy woman are this way....and thats fact............the same would go for men.....deb

• Like 3

Yeah, it's definately an attitude.

Class can be feigned with glamerous looks etc. just look at the Kardashions.

True class is how you behave and carry yourself, irrepective of cashflow or appearance.

Humble, honest, well-spoken, tolerant, empathetic, accepting, offers help, offers an ear, respectful, diplomatic, calm, thoughtful, relaxed, cool headed, warm, inclusive, welcoming, open-minded, curious

All these are traits of a classy person in my book. I try to be all these things, but it's quite hard. I'm always happy when I meet people with these attributes.

• Like 1

Grace.

Not easily flattered.

Not easily offended.

To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.

Edited by whatnot
  • Like 1