Any folks who have dreamed big at age 40+ and made it successful?

What did you dream big in?

Was it a start from scratch? Did you already have the background/experience?

How long did it take you to become "successful"?

Any folks who have dreamed big at age 40+ and made it successful?

What did you dream big in?

Was it a start from scratch? Did you already have the background/experience?

How long did it take you to become "successful"?

Do you mean dreaming big career-wise?

I'm studying design at the age of 47, and i've also just started a small business. There are ups and downs, but i figured i'd be damned if i do, and damned if i didn't, so i decided to take the plunge. There are some days i feel really down (due to less income) and judged by people, but i am taking a leap of faith and trust in my tenacity. My aim when i finish my course, at the end of the year is to do one more year, in which case I'll be able to freelance. I am really looking forward to it!

Be interested to hear from others.

Edited by Soak
  • Like 1

lf you ask me your in your prime to make a go of something have done it myself.

Unless it's just a younger persons industry or whatever it is your aiming at.

Work ,sea tree changes, whatever, great time if you can swing it .

You have the focus, strength, self discipline, your strong , your an adult, you don't mind doing what it takes and you still got heaps of time left to make it work and enjoy it later.

My brother's also a great example, wouldn't work in an iron lung his whole life, slackest big baby you'd ever meet..

At 49 he went to China and came back with an importing business idea .

Dunno what inspired him but over night he now instead turned into the hardest working bugger you'll ever meet. No one believes it's the same guy we're all wtf happened to the old J.

First few yrs it was nothing to call him sunday night 11 or 12 and he'd still be working..

Well, been about 7yrs now l'd say and he's on 200k a year , he's bought 3 properties and a big warehouse, spends 6mths a yr traveling.

My dad, ha,runs in the family l think haha. He always had a business in the city,think he was late 40s too when he decides to buy a farm , then he bought another one, and later another one.

Got into cattle , and then orchards,

Go for it , and good luck.

Edited by Chilli
lf you ask me your in your prime to make a go of something have done it myself.

Unless it's just a younger persons industry or whatever it is your aiming at.

Work ,sea tree changes, whatever, great time if you can swing it .

You have the focus, strength, self discipline, your strong , your an adult, you don't mind doing what it takes and you still got heaps of time left to make it work and enjoy it later.

My brother's also a great example, wouldn't work in an iron lung his whole life, slackest big baby you'd ever meet..

At 49 he went to China and came back with an importing business idea .

Dunno what inspired him but over night he now instead turned into the hardest working bugger you'll ever meet. No one believes it's the same guy we're all wtf happened to the old J.

First few yrs it was nothing to call him sunday night 11 or 12 and he'd still be working..

Well, been about 7yrs now l'd say and he's on 200k a year , he's bought 3 properties and a big warehouse, spends 6mths a yr traveling.

My dad, ha,runs in the family l think haha. He always had a business in the city,think he was late 40s too when he decides to buy a farm , then he bought another one, and later another one.

Got into cattle , and then orchards,

Go for it , and good luck.

Haha, great story Chilli! Isn't it amazing that people only get motivated when they're inspired? I think it's inspiration that brings out the best in us.

Do these sorts of chances / occurances appear to women also? It seems it's mainly men who have the energy and stamina (and time perhaps?) to get these things off the ground.

Haha, great story Chilli! Isn't it amazing that people only get motivated when they're inspired? I think it's inspiration that brings out the best in us.

Do these sorts of chances / occurances appear to women also? It seems it's mainly men who have the energy and stamina (and time perhaps?) to get these things off the ground.

There are about 1,500 new businesses started a day by women. Many businesses and entrepreneurship ventures are started by women. Typically women start their businesses with half as much capital as men and facing more challenges than men do.

"More than 9.4 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 7.9 million people, and generating $1.5 trillion in sales as of 2015.

Women-owned firms (51% or more) account for 31% of all privately held firms and contribute 14% of employment and 12% of revenues.

Over the past seven years, the overall increase of 8.3 million (net) new jobs is comprised of a 9.2 million increase in employment in large, publicly traded corporations, combined with a 893,000 decline in employment among smaller, privately held companies."

I'm on the path to starting my own business. I started as a freelancer and am attracting more and more of my own clients - who are typically large, internationally known brands that you 100% have interacted with or will continue to interact with. So yes, women have the stamina(if not more) to start businesses than men do.

There are about 1,500 new businesses started a day by women. Many businesses and entrepreneurship ventures are started by women. Typically women start their businesses with half as much capital as men and facing more challenges than men do.

"More than 9.4 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 7.9 million people, and generating $1.5 trillion in sales as of 2015.

Women-owned firms (51% or more) account for 31% of all privately held firms and contribute 14% of employment and 12% of revenues.

Over the past seven years, the overall increase of 8.3 million (net) new jobs is comprised of a 9.2 million increase in employment in large, publicly traded corporations, combined with a 893,000 decline in employment among smaller, privately held companies."

I'm on the path to starting my own business. I started as a freelancer and am attracting more and more of my own clients - who are typically large, internationally known brands that you 100% have interacted with or will continue to interact with. So yes, women have the stamina(if not more) to start businesses than men do.

Thanks for the stats Camillalev. For the record, i am female. I guess i asked the question due to some naivety around the topic.

What skill / qualification are you bringing to your upcoming business, if you don't mind me asking. Just a general idea, for example, PR, design, admin systems? I guess i'm curious, and am interested in the priority placed on having past clients become possible future clients versus starting with skills and a good marketing / business plan and no clients?

Edited by Soak