sent 8 students to S America

I like to give back, but I put real thought into it.

I've sponsored 8 college kids to spend the Summer in a remote area of S. America. They're goal is to document the superior cultures of tribes that most consider primitive. They had to modify their plans 2 ways to obtain my funding.

1) Their goal had to be restated that they were there to study IF their cultures were superior/inferior, and how. It's not science if they proceeded with their preconceived notions. Their Professor agreed with me wholeheartedly.

2) To really understand the culture they're studying, they had to leave their Developed world goodies behind and live like their subjects do. Granted their computers would make the studies much more productive. So they were allowed and I've made arrangements for recharging. Asking them to adjust to native waters and food was asking too much, so I'm supply bottled water and packaged foods. NO toothbrushes, no toothpaste, no shampoo, no toilet paper, no soaps, or combs, etc.

They all agreed that this was good science. Nearly all of them tried to smuggle Western goodies with them. One backed out at the airport. Since early June 3 more have quit.

So far, I'd say that 50% have by their actions, refuted that they considered the primitives a superior culture. If the remaining 4 can last and still report that primitive living is superior,... I'll read the report with respect.

If you're interested, this was semi costly but hardly compares with my other charitable endeavors. I'm a cad in many ways but I also give back more than most.

• Like 1
  • Author
Interesting. Sounds like you treated them to an all-you-can-eat of humble pie.

Tis my hope that they and those following their progress, will learn to let go of preconceived notions and learn to keep an open mind.

• Like 1