Trying to change things

mortensorchid

In the last few months I have been very reclusive. I was very consumed with work and things, and I'd been neglecting friends and whatever else. I was a multi district substitute teacher, it was a roller coaster to say the least, and I was excluded from schools over out of control kids or snotty administration (another story in itself). I am in a state of flux right now trying to make a career change for the fall (to get into full time teaching not be a sub again).

I'd also been dealing with sadness - Teaching is a lonely job, to be sure. I learned with a past teaching job that coworkers were not friends and don't think that they are in this setting as opposed to an office one. You're not one with the students, be they big or little kids, nor are you one with the other teachers, staff, etc. And it leaves you exhausted so you don't want to do other things once the day is over. I'm sad at times, trying to combat loneliness and reclusive behaviors by doing other things.

I'm trying to get out and do things, but I find that I want to be at home all the time. As you get older the want and need to socialize goes down, as I am finding out, but ... I want to be around people in the hopes that someday, somehow I will find some kind of happiness.

Anyone else feel that way? Anything I'm doing or feeling wrong?

In the last few months I have been very reclusive. I was very consumed with work and things, and I'd been neglecting friends and whatever else. I was a multi district substitute teacher, it was a roller coaster to say the least, and I was excluded from schools over out of control kids or snotty administration (another story in itself). I am in a state of flux right now trying to make a career change for the fall (to get into full time teaching not be a sub again).

I'd also been dealing with sadness - Teaching is a lonely job, to be sure. I learned with a past teaching job that coworkers were not friends and don't think that they are in this setting as opposed to an office one. You're not one with the students, be they big or little kids, nor are you one with the other teachers, staff, etc. And it leaves you exhausted so you don't want to do other things once the day is over. I'm sad at times, trying to combat loneliness and reclusive behaviors by doing other things.

I'm trying to get out and do things, but I find that I want to be at home all the time. As you get older the want and need to socialize goes down, as I am finding out, but ... I want to be around people in the hopes that someday, somehow I will find some kind of happiness.

Anyone else feel that way? Anything I'm doing or feeling wrong?

I come from a family of teachers - it can be tough job. All jobs can be political with games and backstabbing, but I see teaching as more so. Subing does not allow you to form lasting relationships (not friends) with your kids - I would say I have seen full teachers take great satisfaction in impacting kids lives and following them as they grow and even go through life after school.

I also understand you wanting to stay home and rest - maybe being an introvert that way.

However I would encourage you to seek out some group fitness classes like yoga - or even martial arts. It can help with your mood and socializing. Also maybe some volunteering in your community. Check with your city hall (or place of worship) for opportunities.