Self-Improvement- Am I to old to go back to college at 26?

Even though I'm 26 and still consider myself on the younger side of the spectrum, is 26 way to old to go back to college? I want to go back to get my bachelors in computer science. I did graduate college at 22 and got my 2 year associates degree in liberal arts then stopped. I'll be starting completely from scratch with a different major so I'll be taking classes in the beginning with mostly 17 and 18 years old lol, so I'll be the 26 year old creep. I just want something better for myself than making 15hr picking orders at a warehouse full time. To do this I'll be quitting my full time job, leaving my apartment, and moving back in with mom. She said she is willing to help me out financially while I pursue my dream and go back to school full-time (I'll pick up something part time). Should I do it? It's going to be quite humbling. Did anyone else here go back to college later in life or know someone that did? Any words of encouragement or advice? Thanks!!!

Take night classes. I taught college a while back. When I taught during the day I had lots of traditional students. When I taught at night I had a lot more adult learners.

seeyoung87

Do it. I'm 29 and like you only have an Associate's which doesn't add up to much. I work 75 hours a week in three different retail stores making less than $13.00/hr. Every day feels like the one before it. I've grown to become incredibly depressed and frustrated at my situation. So much so that today I quit one of my jobs. If I were able to move back with my mom and go to school I would.

Yeah, do it. You know, don't feel out of place because truly, there are many, many professions that require you to take classes every year or every few years in order to keep your license or certification, everything from realty to physicians and other medical professionals. For many, continuing education is a requirement, so do it.

My wife is in school at 33 to finish her masters while working full time. You are never too old as long as you know what you are going for. No college for me personally and I make pretty good money. It's not for everyone, but if you have a plan in place then do it. If you are going back without a plan for what you want to do afterwords, I would think twice. I have no debt and make more then my wife. Life isn't about money at all, that's not what I'm saying. Just saying I wouldn't go into huge debt without a plan in place. That wouldn't be wise IMO.

Go for it! I took undergrad classes at age 25 in order to apply to a medical program. There were lots of "older students in my classes doing the same thing. One of my older brothers went back to undergrad at age 30 after he left the marines. Both my brother and I found college much easier "later in life" as we were more focused on school vs partying and school sporting events. You don't have that teenage FOMO attitude later in life.

Am I to old to go back to college at 26?
You're asking yourself the wrong question. In only 3 years you'll be 29. Hence, the relevant question is: Do I want to be a 29-year-old man who holds a valuable bachelor's degree in computer science -- or a 29-year-old man who doesn't?
  • Like 3

you are ****ing kidding, right? I am 30 years older than you and still in university. (still chipping away at my masters as a part time student. ETA graduation is 2020 if I am lucky). there are also a whole bunch of PHD students in their mid 30s with kids in my uni as well.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. One more piece of advice I can give you. Your BA in comp sci is not a guarantee of wealth and riches. Its just a BA in the end. You will still be hitting the labor market and starting from an entry level salary in the field. So you basically will be about 30 years old and starting in a comp sci related job (if you get a job). Its not too bad. Nothing wrong with that scenario.

Its good to write down how much does that degree cost you over the 4 years and what sort of salary you expect to get with it and how long it will take you to make your money back. By my calculations, you should have paid off your degree by 35 provided you get the BA and get a job in the field right after graduation.

WaitingForBardot

It's never too late. I went back to school in my mid-twenties and my mom started law school the same year I started graduate school a couple of years later.

The caveat is, as alluded to by jjgitties, a degree is no guarantee of a monetary payback and college is expensive! You should do a careful cost-benefit analysis of the various degrees in which you are interested to see which are in demand, and will remain in demand, before sinking any time and money into it.

Lostgirl50

Heck no ! I got divorced apafter 20 some years and went back to college ! It was a very har thing to do . There are many ages at college - one gentleman was in his early 60's. For me I found that she didn't matter at all to my fellow students. They treated and accepted me the same as them . It was awesome ! So go ... fun !

• Like 1
SunnyWeather

just do it. you may even decide to go for a Masters. you will be surprised at the age range in uni now.

good luck

I finished my BS at 38. Before I went back I had a lot of the same fears, but it turned out there were quite a few people just like me. I was way more serious the second time around (and my grades reflected it), I appreciated the professors more, and just got more out of the entire experience.

The only thing I didn't care for was when I'd look around the room and realized that I was old enough to be a teen mom to most of my peers. lol

Not at all! There were people of all ages in my classes. The majority was 18-19 year old, but there were a variety of ages, even much older people. You're there to learn so it really doesn't matter if you think you're too old. Go for you, don't worry about your age! :)

GunslingerRoland

More than age, I'd really wonder about whether this is the right program for you. Obviously people are multi faceted, but going from a liberal arts degree to computer science is very opposite ends of the spectrum. Do you enjoy programming? Is the idea of spending hours on trying to fix a bug challenging/rewarding to you?

Computer Science is one of the most challenging degree programs there is. Most people who have an aptitude in that area, start in something similar to begin with. (Math, Science, Engineering if not CS)