How to choose between opportunities?

redheaded-squirrel

Hi all,

I am not entirely sure if it belongs here, but you people of LS have always been helpful, so here it goes...

I have a major problem related to choosing between opportunities. I am finishing my full-time Masters, commuting to school 60 km. Working part-time. Going on a 2-month internship abroad next month. Just started an 8-month long, regional research project, very intensive, in cooperation with the UN. Waiting for an answer to another data collection gig with the UN from June to September, answer will most likely be positive. Going to a conference abroad for 2 weeks in August. Doing a course in data analysis in September, also thinking about a summer school the same month, which starts right after the next meeting of the 1st UN project. Thinking about joining a mentoring programme for young women.

And this IS NOT SUSTAINABLE. After I successfully tried to juggle school, part-time job and an internship last year (4 months), I realized this is probably not a balanced life. I realize - rationally - that this amount of work is not ok.

Yet it seems I can't choose. I think I can say "no", it's just that all these opportunities are relevant (professionally) and are interesting to me...plus I want to go on to another M.A. and a PhD., so I need the best CV I can get...But I just want to break free from this inability to choose what is manageable. I want to break free from the constant comparing to others, thinking they do more (in fact, they usually don't), from this thinking that I am not doing enough, developing myself enough, not expert enough...I want to be able to say no to some interesting opportunities without feeling like I am missing out on so much...how do I do it? Any advice?

d0nnivain

Make the classic Pros & Cons list. See what that reveals.

• Like 1
  • Author
redheaded-squirrel
Make the classic Pros & Cons list. See what that reveals.

I am not sure if that's helpful...For example, with the summer school: I can see that I will be under a lot of (time) pressure, because I will have a 3-day project meeting in one country and will have to fly to another country the next day. A lot of things can go wrong, etc., I'd pile up work at school and miss more than a week of work as well...But the school is so interesting and I really want to go, I am eager to find out who the other participants would be and eager to get more expertise on the topic and I keep telling myself that I can manage it.

But rationally, it's not a good choice. I know I'd be so stressed and then so tired when I return home, only to find out that there's more work waiting for me in the office and at school...I cannot be objective with the pros and cons.

d0nnivain

Forget objectivity for a minute. Just write the lists. Sort of a free think exercise. Write it all out. Then put it away for a few hours. Look again when you are fresh. Talk to a professor or mentor.

• Like 2