LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Boosting Self-Esteem/Self-Love

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2017, 4:03 AM   #31
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely81 View Post
......I secretly don't trust people's affection or like of me, because I'm not acting like my real self. Like I said, the odd thing is I think a lot of people see me as very strong and opinionated.........

.........(they seem to want you more when you are genuinely fleeing...so indicative of how unhealthy these friendships were to begin with.)
Yes, I have felt the same way about people too, especially during the time when I started seeing a therapist. When I began to delve more into my past, looking for answers to my anxiety/panic, I found myself trying so hard to be more lively and happy around others. It was a facade, but it was necessary, otherwise I would have ended up being friendless-no one wants to hang around depressed people, do they? Most importantly, it was also a way of protecting my feelings. Doing therapy can render us vulnerable, in a kind of limbo, while we're in the midst of "finding" ourselves. Exposing our fragility to others can put us in harms way, as many people tend not to know how to respond appropriately, I don't think many people are emotionally equipped. So, the mask does also have a protective role. Basically, we are more comfortable revealing our true selves to those whom we know we can trust and usually that doesn't include many people.

That's true. I've noticed they try to cling onto me, like fungus, as I try to let go. Ughhh!
Old 3rd March 2017, 9:16 AM   #32
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthtripper View Post
I have been doing Feldenkrais for the last two years. <snip> One of my friends for a long time has been urging me to also try reiki.
Of course stick with what's working for you...and try new modalities and techniques according to your own 'gut instinct' or intuition.

The thing is that passive forms of therapies alone won't help to resolve psychological blocks (at the identity, mental and emotional levels); we have to do conscious work around those, in order to overcome/transcend them.

Wishing you the best,
Ronni
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:42 PM   #33
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronni_W View Post
Of course stick with what's working for you...and try new modalities and techniques according to your own 'gut instinct' or intuition.

The thing is that passive forms of therapies alone won't help to resolve psychological blocks (at the identity, mental and emotional levels); we have to do conscious work around those, in order to overcome/transcend them.

Wishing you the best,
Ronni
I also think that conscious work alone is not enough to overcome psychological blocks. I've been in talk therapy for 20 years. I have learnt a lot about child abuse and it's destruction, but I find that words often are an obstacle to emotional expression. After doing Feldenkrais for 2 years now, I'm actually in touch with my subconscious self-defeating thoughts. Before this, I was only aware of this from psychologists observations of me, it was not subjective. For me, physical expression has opened up my psyche in a way talk therapy has not. I was abused from the day I was born, when words were not yet a vehicle of expression for me, which is probably why talk therapy has not been releasing for me.

Last edited by truthtripper; 3rd March 2017 at 12:45 PM..
truthtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 3:50 AM   #34
Established Member

Quote:
For me, physical expression has opened up my psyche in a way talk therapy has not.
I'm the same way. Yoga helped me to get back in touch with my emotions. I had dealt with my feelings by walling them off. I couldn't even cry if I wanted to. After months of weekly yoga classes, I started to cry during a heart-opening pose. It's interesting how the body and the psyche are connected.
SpiralOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 12:48 PM   #35
Established Member

Quote:
I also think that conscious work alone is not enough to overcome psychological blocks.
Yes...I've used Bowen technique, Reiki, EFT and other forms of bodywork and negative-Energy-release therapies, myself; as well as have done talk therapy including a
family-of-origin intensive; as well as a little bit of art and sound therapy.

As you say, we do need to address any given problem at all levels, physical and metaphysical.

I am sorry for your life experiences. I have not had to endure anything like that in this lifetime, so I don't know if this article will be of any use or assistance for you
in your specific circumstance.
The help it's offered me is only as far as understanding the experiences of my own life, that were hurtful and I perceived as negative: Why You Took on Limitations on Earth.

In Love and Light.
Ronni_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 12:01 PM   #36
Established Member

Quote:
Yes...I've used Bowen technique, Reiki, EFT and other forms of bodywork and negative-Energy-release therapies, myself; as well as have done talk therapy including a
family-of-origin intensive; as well as a little bit of art and sound therapy.

As you say, we do need to address any given problem at all levels, physical and metaphysical.

I am sorry for your life experiences. I have not had to endure anything like that in this lifetime, so I don't know if this article will be of any use or assistance for you
in your specific circumstance.
The help it's offered me is only as far as understanding the experiences of my own life, that were hurtful and I perceived as negative: Why You Took on Limitations on Earth.

In Love and Light.
Thanks Ronni, I have saved the link.
truthtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 4:58 PM   #37
Established Member

Just updating to say I have had two classes of yoga and really do enjoy it so far. It seems to be the physical manifestation of what I'm trying to do internally, be centered and strong from within, so that's really cool!

I had been writing a lot and going out with friends/online dating less. These activities have picked up, and I notice I'm still very susceptible to getting emotionally rattled from these situations. I'll often feel "less than." Like something's wrong because I haven't fallen in love, etc. And I think that feeling can lead me to act in a jerky way sometimes, in an attempt to prove I'm okay. Anyway, it's good I'm noticing. It's really freeing. All these things I thought the world was doing to me, I'm beginning to see I was actively participating in. It's a relief realizing that I don't have to "fix" the external (which used to look like tearing someone else's character apart in my head) just because I may feel a blow to my ego.

Okay, back to my work . . . that I'm not doing while being on the internet!
lovely81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:14 PM   #38
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely81 View Post
Just updating to say I have had two classes of yoga and really do enjoy it so far. It seems to be the physical manifestation of what I'm trying to do internally, be centered and strong from within, so that's really cool!

I had been writing a lot and going out with friends/online dating less. These activities have picked up, and I notice I'm still very susceptible to getting emotionally rattled from these situations. I'll often feel "less than." Like something's wrong because I haven't fallen in love, etc. And I think that feeling can lead me to act in a jerky way sometimes, in an attempt to prove I'm okay. Anyway, it's good I'm noticing. It's really freeing. All these things I thought the world was doing to me, I'm beginning to see I was actively participating in. It's a relief realizing that I don't have to "fix" the external (which used to look like tearing someone else's character apart in my head) just because I may feel a blow to my ego.

Okay, back to my work . . . that I'm not doing while being on the internet!

hey lovely,

glad you have taken up yoga....i first took up yoga in my teen years...the lady who taught me was called swami guyananana lol still cant spell it.....but she was a master at yoga......she was actually quite an imposing figure...no shrinking violet.....and her calm voice could quieten a class....the way she walked in and out of class she embodied flow.....moving between people she embodied flow....the only woman i have seen who could look serene in head to toe bright orange sporting a shaved head.........i have always believed if you learn anything only learn from masters even if it costs more to do so.....learn from the best.....you can always find a master....they stand out from the crowds.....like my swami....she was just so...different......

she taught me salute to the sun it has another traditional name cant remember the name......and the meditation she taught was the only time i ever seemed to have space in my head....she was always really patient with me.....i would often fall asleep in meditation.....and when she taught me to chant using my throat...it resonated really loudly that everyone giggled...never chanted again after that...she told me after a class .... if you continue to hold your voice in deborah afraid others will laugh at you . you will never find peace....

i made a joke out of that on my request show i had on radio..made fun of her breathy voice..........the truth was....she hit too close too home.........

yoga has a voice ...for silent people ....it will bring you peace if you allow it too lovely.....me...i still hold my full voice in...too scared if what comes out will make others laugh but .....i do yoga...in the privacy of my room and i chant when no one is around........i bought myself a humming bowl......i dont think theres a more beautiful sound to be heard than the hum of a brass bowl...its one of my faves.....i dont really tell people i do yoga my oldest daughter has taken it up...its my private haven..yoga...

dont ever give it up lovely, sounds like you are on a discovery journey and i wish you happy trails ...serene ones...........best wishes...deb

Last edited by todreaminblue; 22nd March 2017 at 10:19 PM..
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:34 PM   #39
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Deb,
You know the first thing that came to my mind when I read that? -- "Jesus can say that, as well...Deb is in pretty elevated company!" I mean...it's not not true, right?

Again, I don't really know what may or may not be useful for you or lovely81, so I'm just going on instinct/intuition. These two Discourses are complementary to each other; though, the second one listed was actually given first:
Why you took on limitations [challenges] on Earth - and - Spirituality beyond elitism

ronni i really do enjoy your links your share they are enlightened reading and everyone i have read has been up lifting.....

but..as far as me being in elevated company ...nah.....im not fit to be in his company one day maybe.........you know i think jesus cried out once in his ministry on earth to his father......and even then there's question on whether he was actually crying out or acknowledging his pains as necessary...i know he actually tried to ghost one particular time...disappear on his own for a while......sought solitude in madness to pray and find i guess comfort to keep going the way he did......

but....what he endured .....everyones' pain and sin..........without ever feeling sorry for himself.....well can anyone really think they are anywhere near the company of jesus.....certainly not me.....maybe the saints..mother theresa.....joan of arc....but not this duck...im a trench girl....my feet are muddy...and i cant keep them clean....

when i think of jesus....i think of that glow around him and when i think of people around him i think of masses of children glowign just like he does....i think of jeuss as in the company of children....he will always be closest to them..........but thankyou for the links....they have a stillness to the words.......i hope lovely81 reads them.....for they are....lovely thoughts......deb
lovely81 likes this.
todreaminblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 5:48 PM   #40
Established Member

Wanted to update my thread!

I have been continuing this practice of being with myself and my feelings. It is really challenging. I realized my life circumstances are going to never be as perfect as I want, and I can react with very strong emotions that I'll then go down into a spiral of self-loathing over and that that often involves destructive behaviors. I can see these destructive behaviors serve a purpose, though, as they do stop the spiral of negative self-talk/feeling.

And if I try to "control" these negative feelings before the destructive behaviors, it's like trying to put a lid on boiling water (not sure if this is an actual saying, but I mean--it doesn't work!) I strive to deal with them in healthy ways, by sitting and listening to them or doing healthy physical activities--have tried zumba in addition to yoga. I loved zumba! Sometimes, though, I just collapse on the bed and let myself feel them.

I've also realized this strong judgmental voice inside of me is really unhelpful and is leading me to be drawn to romantic partners who are similarly critical (might have said that earlier.) It's a balance because I do value honesty and strength and have a hard time differentiating between those qualities and arrogance masking weakness/insecurity.

Last edited by lovely81; 25th September 2017 at 5:50 PM..
lovely81 is offline   Reply With Quote