Still afraid of a career change

I've posted a few times on here about "chasing my dreams" vs. "keeping a steady job in my 40's"

Two years later, I'm still in the same boat. Miserable, uncertain, afraid.

Granted, I have been freelancing creative video editing skills I have but without a solid business focus. I've been doing it, but it's been 'here and there' and not consistent - due to the fact that I just am so busy being Dad, Husband, and working day job so much. The day job I do have is secure (and has been for years) but doesn't pay much. I've been here a long, long time. I feel like I've grown up in this office. I enjoy it here but the pay just stinks.

But, I'm getting that feeling again like I should just take the plunge and find a better paying job, instead of working this one (where the pay still hasn't increased at all) and trying to find other part time jobs or freelance, etc. to make up the difference to pay the bills.

I'm stressed, I don't sleep well, I don't eat well, I worry.

Then there are days where I'm passionate, fired-up, determined to launch

my freelance career and make some great money.

Any advice? face slaps?

Edited by davema
But, I'm getting that feeling again like I should just take the plunge and find a better paying job, instead of working this one

davema,

You have positioned this as an 'either/or' situation, which it truly is not.

What you want to do is to start looking for a secure, higher-paying job AND keep working at this one until you find the new one. (Ideally, the new one would be in your chosen field; but, if nothing's available there, then just search for those jobs for which you are best qualified.)

You won't find your happiness and fulfillment by keeping yourself stuck through self-limiting thoughts and perspective. You will need to expand these internally, at least, and then take active steps that support your higher and higher vision :). "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step"...and is only completed by keep taking the next step.

Best of luck.

Ronni

• Like 1

You're not alone, this is a rather classic circumstance. Millions have been in your shoes in the past. You feel you have potential beyond your current employer, but you also desperately need a secure job to support yourself and the family.The choice is difficult, take the leap and possibly fail, or stay put and never realize your full potential. No simple answer.

I've seen trapped people handle it like you and lose sleep. I've seen people spend years bemoaning "oh poor me" to anyone who would listen. I've seen some become quite bitter. And I've admired those who seem to handle it with dignity.

Make sure your character is the best you can make it. It will help you deal with being trapped, making hard choices, failing, and succeeding.

Without children, I made the leap once and failed miserably. After that I was successful with measured leaps. Now my circumstance is that my working years are drawing to a close, I can't take chances. I try to handle this being trapped with dignity.

• Like 1
  • Author

It's a hard decision.

In the end, all the factors are different for everyone.

It would be easiest for myself to just stay put, see how it goes,

have comfort in knowing I have a steady income and medical insurance

and just work my tail off to pay off bills through a part time job and

freelancing and other things.

But there's always that "But, if you take a risk on a better job, with better pay and better incentives, better benefits... you might succeed and things will be much better!... perhaps even in a shorter amount of time!"

But nothing in life is guaranteed. That's a dream, a fantasy. Could come true, could not.

I think in my case, from the replies I've gotten here and pondering my

options over the weekend, it's clear that I should stay where I'm at for

now and get some things in order before considering making a career change.

actually

I didn't get that at all. I got that you should stay where you are and start job hunting right friggin' now. Did I miss something?

I think in my case, from the replies I've gotten here and pondering my options over the weekend, it's clear that I should stay where I'm at for now and get some things in order before considering making a career change.

davema,

Your career change is different and separate from immediately finding the courage and making the effort to secure for yourself (and for the benefit of your family) a higher-paying job.

Staying stuck as you have been for so long now only seems the 'clear best option' in your own head, likely because you have, unfortunately, become paralyzed by fear and indecisiveness. You are the ONLY one who can get yourself out of this mindset.

I didn't get that at all. I got that you should stay where you are and start job hunting right friggin' now. Did I miss something?

No; no, you did not miss anything :).

• Author

Sorry, did not mean to say the replies here GAVE ME THE ANSWER, You did not miss anything, the replies more just made me think and ponder a few things - and I did my own soul searching over the past weekend.

I agree with you, Ronni. I can't debate you. It IS fear. Fear of leaving security - as much of a pain it is not having good pay, I have a secure job here. They pretty much CAN'T let me go, because I know too much good stuff to help run the place for them and they depend on me a LOT here.

Edited by davema

Best advice I ever had about opening your own business was to have another form of income to support yourself. Either

1. A full year's salary in the bank (which is what I did when I launched)

2. really understanding parents or a spouse who will carry you until you can earn enough

3. a F/T job that you can transition out of; that is not necessarily your present job but could be something like bartender at night so you can do your passion

Read lots of books & take all sorts of low & no cost classes through things like the SBDC & SCORE.org

If video is your thing, look into learning how to take video depositions for lawyers. It pays really well but has no creativity for a videographer. You do 3-4 of these per week & you can pay the bills plus has lots of time to pursue the creative side of things fully funded.