Is good good idea to seek for success in several careers?

Since my childhood, I've been multi-career seeker. I haven't grown out of it yet.

I still like to compose music, I run a travel related blog, now working on a documentary movie, a big digital marketing enthusiast and in a process to start a travel agency with my friend.

I really want to continue doing all these things, but is it really possible to do all these things while we only have 24h per day?

I would like to hear your personal stories or some names of notable people who are succesful in multi-careers.

I see it as a double-sided coin....on the one hand, it's been very satisfying seeking knowledge and expertise on a number of pursuits. On the other, I see society more greatly rewarding people who are very good at one thing, even if the rest of life is relatively uninformed. I would say a good sweet spot is being an expert at one thing, and widely recognized as that, and dabbling in other stuff.

The main advantage I've seen to the jack of all trades path is in cost containment, basically being able to save more than one is worth in everyday life issues.

While I might make a living building stuff and fabricating/machining for industry, being able to diagnose an electrical fault and fix it hundreds of miles from home out in the rain to get the equipment to its destination without assistance saved a big bill, far more than I could've earned in that time even if able to work. That exemplifies one asset of a large repertoire of skills. Necessary? Nah, most folks would just call the transporter and pay a mechanic whatever it cost. I'm stubborn :D

The main thing is make your decision while young. Society likes the young and basically forgets the old, absent those who make their mark as the best of the best. That brings up another aspect, how much one is inured to society, social standards and norms and group dynamics. If a lot, play the game. If not, go your own way. You have all the choices in the world. It's your life.

• 3 weeks later...

It's always good to equip yourself with options. When I was young I was focused on my dream career and did that for 20 years, but sometimes I also had a side job for extra money. Since then I've usually had two jobs and I try to make the second, worse paying, one something new I learn. It's not so bad working for not enough pay if you are learning some new skill. Like one I had was working on ATMs. They trained me. I also worked in property tax, so learned something there. What I've been doing as my main job for 25 years started as a one-off just helping someone proofread.

So yes, branch out, learn new things. It will serve you well.

GunslingerRoland
Since my childhood, I've been multi-career seeker. I haven't grown out of it yet.

I still like to compose music, I run a travel related blog, now working on a documentary movie, a big digital marketing enthusiast and in a process to start a travel agency with my friend.

I really want to continue doing all these things, but is it really possible to do all these things while we only have 24h per day?

I would like to hear your personal stories or some names of notable people who are succesful in multi-careers.

If you wanted to be a doctor and an engineer lets say, I'd say no those are jobs you need to be dedicated to full time. But composing music, writing a blog, making a movie are all jobs that can be done part time...

I will say though that the travel agency is where you will run into trouble. Running a travel agency can be a stressful job with long hours.