Live fast, die young?

Something I was pondering if living fast dieing young would be a happier life.

Right now my parents support me and are okay with taking care of all financial needs. Yes spoiled I know

I'm in the process of getting a graduate degree and getting a job and moving out.

But I wonder would I be happier at 75 with a nice house and a wife and kids etc

Or if the next ten years all I do is tons of drugs, alcohol, and partying every night.

Chasing the cheap thrills, getting high, surfing, doing things people in cubicles wish they could do. Basically living like a poor rock star

Your parents are supposed to take care of your financial needs until about 21/22. Your going to school which means you are doing something and you do care about your future so... 75 is not raising kids with wife and house.. I think people's 20's are meant for chasing the cheap thrills, getting high, surfing, experimenting, exploring and finding you essence and your truth. If you have deviated from the path of conventional living like i have.. marriage friends and a normal life.. than it's up to you.

• Like 1

If I had a crystal ball, I'd be happy to supply an accurate response, however, all I have is my experience, and as an oldie, I'm quite glad I picked a good long life.

You seem to believe that a wife, kids and nice house are an option guaranteed to occur.

There's a heck of a lot more to life than being a staid stick-in-the-mud, following convention and being a sheep in the flock.

Why not consider other options, such as determining to save some money, going round the world, helping in a relief zone and giving up your time to travel to far-flung places and gain some worldly experience.

Then, at least, you'll have something to tell those grand-kids. Always assuming you eventually join the rat-race....

• Like 4

Eh, in life, some moderation is usually a good idea.

For the most part, the “live fast die young” crowd isn’t that happy – abusing your body and mind often leaves people feeling empty.

Plus – when you start getting a little older- dying doesn’t sound so appealing. My dad was the “party” type, bragged that he did every drug known to man, and some that weren’t’! Drank, smoked, lived it up… and then he reached his 40’s and started to realize he LIKED living, and didn’t really want to die any time soon.

He gave up the drinking, the smoking (had already given up the drugs) – and now works hard to improve his health – probably would be a bit easier if he hadn’t damaged his body so much.

I am 37 (well will be this month!), I work an “office job” (have been for 14 years), I have a good career, which pays quite well. I have to get up quite early in the morning, and my days often run late into the evening.

But I still have fun and party ;)

Usually 1 week day I am out with friends and my guy until 2 am, out at the bars, drinking and partying – I still manage to make it to the office the next morning ;)

And on the weekends – more fun, parties, road trips, concerts (well we do those week nights too) – Plus, having a good career means I have vacation time, and the funds to go on vacations – and party it up some more. I gave up hard drugs years ago, but there are some in our friend group (which ranged in age from 24 -40+) that still “dabble” at least.

Extra $$ also means time and funds for fun hobbies, his are motor cross, mountain bikes, and BMX (dirt jumping!) – mine are horse jumping and fast cars (it COULD be surfing, and despite living near the beach and having a ton of surfing friends – just not my thing)

The key for us, to “live young” and party – while still being “adults” with careers? NO KIDS…..

And I don’t know – I grew up around the Punk scene (other brother owns a record label) – old washed up “party harders” don’t live a very appealing life to me. Makes me think of the Dead Boys song:

Ain't it fun

When you're always on the run

Ain't it fun

When your friends despise what you've become

Ain't it fun

When you get so high that you, well you just can't cum

Ain't it fun

When you know that you're gonna die young?

It's such fun

Ain't it fun

When you're taking care of number one

Ain't it fun

• Like 2
Something I was pondering if living fast dieing young would be a happier life.

Right now my parents support me and are okay with taking care of all financial needs. Yes spoiled I know

I'm in the process of getting a graduate degree and getting a job and moving out.

But I wonder would I be happier at 75 with a nice house and a wife and kids etc

Or if the next ten years all I do is tons of drugs, alcohol, and partying every night.

Chasing the cheap thrills, getting high, surfing, doing things people in cubicles wish they could do. Basically living like a poor rock star

normally the people doing alcohol/drugs/partying all night aren't happy. they're weak individuals who need that outlet to feel good about themselves and compensate for their inability to cope with life without those aids. you'll probably find more happy people among the regular folks who do the regular things and don't get stoned/high/drunk/partied-out on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Another option is 'live fast and live with chronic health issues,' whilst praying for a liver transplant in middle age.

Quite a few people choose that route...

• Like 3

What about living at a moderate pace and dying middle aged? :) sitting around with parents throwing money at you isn't exactly living. So just get on with it I say.

No they don't. What, wish they would go from an office cubicle to a toilet cubicle throwing up or shooting up. You're not 15 anymore, that ship has sailed!

• Like 1

Having done some "fast living" in the distant past, I can assure you: it's not fun after the first few times. Especially as drugs get involved.

Now that I've spent some time doing something more worthwhile than nightly concerts, drinks, drugs, and dates, I can really say it is so much better.

And I get to do it for many, many years. 75 if I'm lucky. :)

• Like 2

Ha, ha, that sounds like the contractors over at the coast. Some good waves come in, they're nowhere to be found and the job just sits half-done.

OP, there's no crystal ball. My best advice is live life and it'll bring what it does. No rewards other than what you make of it. If that's catching a wave, getting high and living job to job, well, that's your mission. Sean Penn is still alive and doing well. (Nod to

) ;)
  • 2 weeks later...

You are getting a graduate degree and contemplating living a life of extreme hedonism? debauchery? I don't normally come out and say this to people, because I don't usually care to, but since I am going to say this, know that I am saying it to help: You sound very stupid. It seems that school can make people smart, but does nothing for wisdom.

Even if you were smart, you should be able to figure out that doing tons of drugs and alcohol for years is not going to bring you very much pleasure. It is going to mess up your body and your brain. If you do enough of the really addictive kinds of drugs, you might not even last one year.

Addiction. Disease. Overdose. Those are the fruits of "live fast, die young."

• Like 1

"Live fast, love hard, die young and make a beautiful memory!"

There are some days in life where this song speaks volumes. Other days, I need to slow down and absorb the blues.

I don't really understand people who make deliberate decisions to live a certain way. :confused:

You either feel it in the moment, and live that way, or don't feel it in the moment and don't live that way.