Hi folks,

After a recent break-up , I have decided through all the advice hear to focus on myself so I am going to set about doing things that have bothered me for some time and use this arena to minister and track my progress.

I have been going out quite a bit over the last few months being the summer and all. So come October which will now be called sober October, I will be

• Going to the dentist
    • stopping smoking

jogging three times a week

• . Taking two cardio classes

. Continuing with yoga classes

Sometimes , I get caught up in thinking that I am not good enough, worthy enough, pretty enough, slim enough etc

Anybody any words of wisdom, advice or similar stories.

• Like 1

I was in a very bad relationship, and coming out of it I was a completely broken person. I decided I wanted to be better, because I deserved better. I wanted to take care of myself again and not rely on someone else to make me feel good. I started exercising and eating healthy, meditation, and yoga. That along with journaling really helped me turn a horrible experience into something positive and productive.

Best of luck! You can do it if you set your mind to it. Staying motivated is the hardest part, but you can do it.

• Like 2

Many (if not most) people desire to improve their situation in life. Some are able to do it with willpower. Others try and try, and don't seem to get anywhere. Others put in a lot of effort and make progress, but slip, fall and don't get back up. And some have setbacks, but are able to overcome those setbacks and continue on.

I've found in my own life that working towards goals like you mention work for me for awhile, but poor habits slowly (ok...quickly! :p) sneak back in.

However, what I've found to be a stable source of strength in my life is faith in God. I do feel that there is a loving higher power, and my faith has changed my outlook. I don't desire to yearn and struggle for things that don't bring ultimate happiness (great body, admiration from peers, attraction from men). My ultimate joy is now based in something much deeper, and much more eternal.

I pray you too are able to find that kind of peace in your life.

Strangely though, the less I felt I needed to accomplish goals like exercise and eating healthy, the more I was able to steadily improve in those areas (maybe because I didn't feel I HAVE to do it). :)

God bless. Best of luck on this new beginning!! Just let me know if you need prayer in any area :).

• Like 1
  • Author
I was in a very bad relationship, and coming out of it I was a completely broken person. I decided I wanted to be better, because I deserved better. I wanted to take care of myself again and not rely on someone else to make me feel good. I started exercising and eating healthy, meditation, and yoga. That along with journaling really helped me turn a horrible experience into something positive and productive.

Best of luck! You can do it if you set your mind to it. Staying motivated is the hardest part, but you can do it.

That's it, it's about changing this experience into something more positive and learning from it. I have been journaling too but am hoping that if I make changes physically it will help with the anxiety.

Definitely motivation is hard but I know I can make these positive changes in my life.

• Author
Why not start now? Delaying it until October leaves a whole month that you could be making steps forward.

I was thinking about October as I still have a few more events to attend in September but thinking about it , your right and I can commit to a date to stop smoking. I can go to a yoga class tonight and go for a jog tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

• Author
Many (if not most) people desire to improve their situation in life. Some are able to do it with willpower. Others try and try, and don't seem to get anywhere. Others put in a lot of effort and make progress, but slip, fall and don't get back up. And some have setbacks, but are able to overcome those setbacks and continue on.

I've found in my own life that working towards goals like you mention work for me for awhile, but poor habits slowly (ok...quickly! :p) sneak back in.

However, what I've found to be a stable source of strength in my life is faith in God. I do feel that there is a loving higher power, and my faith has changed my outlook. I don't desire to yearn and struggle for things that don't bring ultimate happiness (great body, admiration from peers, attraction from men). My ultimate joy is now based in something much deeper, and much more eternal.

I pray you too are able to find that kind of peace in your life.

Strangely though, the less I felt I needed to accomplish goals like exercise and eating healthy, the more I was able to steadily improve in those areas (maybe because I didn't feel I HAVE to do it). :)

God bless. Best of luck on this new beginning!! Just let me know if you need prayer in any area :).

I thought about what you said and I understand what you are saying. It's not about making changed for other people. I am fairly fit, slim and attractive and don't lack attention from my peers or men.

I am attempting to focus on myself and do things that I enjoy not all involving appearance. I really want/need to stop smoking. When I stop I eat more therefore I would like to combat this by exercising more.

I am very spiritual myself and although I am not a practising catholic . I do go into the church and light candles and say a little prayer for whoever may need it.

I would love you to say a prayer for me that I find peace and happiness and I will say one for you that you have continued peace and happiness.

• Like 1
  • Author
do you have specific goals in mind?

concentrate on getting physically fit by doing more yoga, more cardio, jogging, eating healthier and stopping smoking.

concentrate on maintaining a positive and optimistic attitude by reading more, trying new things, meeting new people, having new adventures, travelling more etc

achieving other goals such as getting bits and pieces done around the house, paying down debt, preparing for Xmas etc etc

I would love you to say a prayer for me that I find peace and happiness and I will say one for you that you have continued peace and happiness.

Awww!!!! Thanks, Ellie!! Very sweet :) And I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

I thought about what you said and I understand what you are saying. It's not about making changed for other people. I am fairly fit, slim and attractive and don't lack attention from my peers or men.

I am attempting to focus on myself and do things that I enjoy not all involving appearance. I really want/need to stop smoking. When I stop I eat more therefore I would like to combat this by exercising more.

I am very spiritual myself and although I am not a practising catholic . I do go into the church and light candles and say a little prayer for whoever may need it.

I'm glad you have a yearning to connect to your spiritual side.

Personally, I think the only truly, long-lasting and very effective way to stop substance abuse (smoking, in this case) is with the help of God. I would suggest keeping connected to God as a source of strength, and asking God to help you. I believe in Jesus as a powerful support in time of need. 12-step programs incorporate God. I hope you'll be able to pray and ask for guidance and strength of Jesus/God as you find the willpower to give up such an addictive habit.

Best of luck!!! Don't give up!

Try writing for a while. I'm trying to write for a year. Not going to be daily but like journal as much as I can. Not as stressed out I feel like.

• Like 1

I used to feel the same way. Only in reverse. That I wasn't big enough. I always thought I was too skinny, and I'd hear it. Even now that I've ganied some weight I'm still being told it but I ignore it because I know I'm not. I started to do stuff to focus more on myself. Like hobbies, taking loads of selfies and putting them in an album I bought. Seeing I'm beautiful. Started thinking about my job and knowing it's whats inside that counts most. I also write stories just for fun. And just recently figured out myself mentally. And ya. It works.

• Like 1
  • Author

It's so important to spend time working from the inside out. I am fairly happy with my outsides but recognise the importance of exercise not just to tone up but for my mental well being!

I still have not fully implemented my improving myself programme but will start on the 5th of October for the simple reason is I have work commitments and holidays planned.

I am making a promise to myself to really do this. I know I can do it and totally intend on implementing sober October on the 5th!!!

• Author
Try writing for a while. I'm trying to write for a year. Not going to be daily but like journal as much as I can. Not as stressed out I feel like.

I really like this idea of writing a journal for a year. Feel like totally focusing on me for a full year!!!