Going to see a therapist?

I've been hesitant to see one for obvious reasons. I just want to let out all my frustrations/bullscrap to a professional, but how is a therapist going to actually help? Is she going to give me advice? Criticize me? Call me out? Maybe I can go to one session and see, if I don't like, I don't need to go back. What are your experiences seeing one?

Edited by Bobbi7

My experience was very positive and I got a lot out of it.

Most therapists offer trial sessions.

Some are better than others, so I'd try out 2 or 3 before you choose one.

The one I settled with was everything I could have wanted.

I made huge steps forward and have never looked back.

Take care.

• Like 3

They will "reframe"your view point in a way that gets you to think and feel for your self. I absolutely adored my therepist! Called me out to confront things in a way that i respected... not demeaning... character building. Throw a tantrum all you want, they've witnessed it .

Mine wasn't the touchy feely kind, more rational and objective. Which most folks need in order to conquer their emotional side. Cognitive therepy has its place.

• Like 5

I'm not getting the obvious reasons why someone wouldn't seek professional counseling if they're having emotional or mental issues.

• Like 4

A good one will not make you feel worse about yourself than when you walked into their office, ever.

• Like 4

I've had a positive experience. She is very understanding. I do most of the talking and she listens and comments. Near the end of the session she sums up what we have talked about and gives advice. I have been going for over a year and it has helped. I always feel better after going.

As someone who once had a pretty sceptical view of the benefits of therapy, and can say in my experience it was extremely helpful.

I had some family of origin issues that I thought were no big deal and that they didn't affect me, but talking these through helped me really move forward.

• Like 1

I've always kind of wondered what it would be like. I have anxiety issues that come and go that I just sort of manage, but it gets hard sometimes. It especially happens after I go on a date with someone I really like. It's happening to me now. I had such a promising first date last night and now I haven't heard from her at all. Everything about it led me to believe she wanted to keep seeing me. I know she was busy today and I know I should reserve judgement until tomorrow but as irrational as it is, I'm sitting here feeling like total crap. I'm a sweaty, hot mess. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I get this feeling like I'm sick to my stomach and need to throw up.

Everything I know is telling me right now that it's alright, and you just need to calm down. I understand it's completely irrational to feel this way but I don't control it. How would a therapist help me? By confirming what I already know? Would they prescribe medicine for me to fix my anxiety? I'm also very hesitant to go to one because I wouldn't want my family to know. I feel like I would appear weak and like a failure if I did.

Learningtowalkagain

I'm giving therapy a shot, I guess it can't hurt. I have very specific needs for a therapist and finding the right one who has an opening and takes my insurance is a friggen chore.

I've been hesitant to see one for obvious reasons. I just want to let out all my frustrations/bullscrap to a professional, but how is a therapist going to actually help? Is she going to give me advice? Criticize me? Call me out? Maybe I can go to one session and see, if I don't like, I don't need to go back. What are your experiences seeing one?

It's worth doing, and for more than 1 session. However, don't be afraid to leave a therapist and try someone new if you don't feel it's a good match. I think that's the most important part. Just make sure you keep going for a few months and give it a chance.

I'm not getting the obvious reasons why someone wouldn't seek professional counseling if they're having emotional or mental issues.

You do no know why?. What do you think these so called payed professionals are doing. How about these so called professionals call a persons employer. As a result the employer finds a way to fire you. I think i would not take the risk. I need to work and make a living for myself

seasickpeeve

most therapists will 'contract' with you on the first session and during this they will explain confidentiality and when/how they would ever break it. They will tell you how they will work with you, the type of therapy they are trained in and you can ask any questions you have. The first session is usually free if you are going to a private therapist.

There are different approaches to therapy so have a read and see which one fits with you.

I found it beneficial to have a therapist I could just talk at, who would reflect back what was going on in a way that helped me have new perspectives and insights. A little challenge is also good but only when you feel the relationship is good enough for you to be able to handle it.

The first time I went, I didn't go many times as it wasn't the right time for me to open up, trust and be honest to a stranger. I felt too vulnerable and preferred not to look at things too deeply.

The second time I stayed for a long time and the changes made there were very slow and very subtle. I look back now and see it was helpful, at the time I wasn't sure and left after a year. I look back at that time very fondly and put alot of my positive personality changes down to that time.

The third time was only a short time for a specific problem and I'm not sure if it actually helped. I don't think I fit well with that counsellor enough to open up fully.

It works if you find a counsellor you can open up to, if you are at a time where you are ready to be open and honest about yourself and accept a little challenge and if you have realistic expectations - it's not there to save you, but for you to work ou how to save yourself

Michelle ma Belle

I echo all that Satu and Tayla already mentioned.

I've been seeing my therapist on and off for nearly 15 years and my life is infinitely better as a result. Personally, I think everyone should be in therapy :p

The one other big piece of advice I want to give you (or anyone looking into therapy), it only works if YOU do.

If you're going in there hoping the therapist will tell you what you need to do and solve all your problems for you, don't bother going. Might as well burn your cash now.

Therapy is work. Hard work. Sometimes really painful hard work. And success doesn't happen overnight. You need to go into it with an open mind and a willingness to do the work to get to the other side.

No one can do it for you.

• Like 1
You do no know why?. What do you think these so called payed professionals are doing. How about these so called professionals call a persons employer. As a result the employer finds a way to fire you. I think i would not take the risk. I need to work and make a living for myself

If you live in the US, that's a violation of our laws. A person holding a medical or mental health license of any sort will lose their license for that sort of behavior. I'm not sure what country you're from, but I'm hoping there are laws like that in place there as well.

If you live in the US, that's a violation of our laws. A person holding a medical or mental health license of any sort will lose their license for that sort of behavior. I'm not sure what country you're from, but I'm hoping there are laws like that in place there as well.

I HAVE A NEWS FLASH FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!People break the speed limit everyday. Which is the violation of the law. And guess what? Some will lose their drivers license. I do not know what country you are from. But i am from the U.S.. People break the law everyday. Sorry to break it to you. But that is the facts. Just beacause anyone that works in a nut house does not mean they are not able to break the law. People that work in those places have been on record for breaking the law. So your post has no merit.

I echo all that Satu and Tayla already mentioned.

I've been seeing my therapist on and off for nearly 15 years and my life is infinitely better as a result. Personally, I think everyone should be in therapy :p

The one other big piece of advice I want to give you (or anyone looking into therapy), it only works if YOU do.

If you're going in there hoping the therapist will tell you what you need to do and solve all your problems for you, don't bother going. Might as well burn your cash now.

Therapy is work. Hard work. Sometimes really painful hard work. And success doesn't happen overnight. You need to go into it with an open mind and a willingness to do the work to get to the other side.

No one can do it for you.

You stated in your post everyone should go to therapy. OH REALLY!!!I can not speak for you. But i am not going to risk my job and lively hood to a stranger that my cause trouble in my life. I have to eat and have a roof over my head. I do not depent on uncle sam like the other 50% of the country

This just doesn't happen. Unless the patient is a danger to him/herself or others, it remains privileged and confidential, end of story. And even in those cases where there's danger, many therapists still keep quiet (James Holmes).

This just doesn't happen. Unless the patient is a danger to him/herself or others, it remains privileged and confidential, end of story. And even in those cases where there's danger, many therapists still keep quiet (James Holmes).

WRONG!!!!!!Happens all the time. It does not remain confidential. You act like just because a person is a shrink that they are all a class by themselves. Sorry to tell you in the real world there cases where confidentiality has been broken from someone that has a big mouth. END OF STORY. need thing you will be telling me that these jerks are doing their profession are there to help people. Because they are not in it for the money are they?

Okay mrnova, not sure who pissed in your cornflakes this morning but all I did was point out the laws at you. No need to respond in such an inflamed manner. Most of the posts you responded to weren't even directed towards you. This is meant to be a helpful, informational thread for those considering therapy as an option, as it helps the majority of people whom choose it. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. No one is putting a gun to your head and marching you in there. Take a chill pill.

I left the content unedited for continuity but, suffice to say, moderation will be reviewing things for awhile so please do continue to respond to the topic about going to see a therapist and do so in a respectful manner. Please do share your own experiences with therapy. Thanks!

Okay mrnova, not sure who pissed in your cornflakes this morning but all I did was point out the laws at you. No need to respond in such an inflamed manner. Most of the posts you responded to weren't even directed towards you. This is meant to be a helpful, informational thread for those considering therapy as an option, as it helps the majority of people whom choose it. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. No one is putting a gun to your head and marching you in there. Take a chill pill.

Okay Goldielos. Not sure who pissed in your cheerios this morning, but all i did point the laws to you. That people will break them. Most of the post i reponded to were not about you. It was about the law. This is meant to be helpful. Info thread about the bad and good about therapy. If it is for you. Then it is for you. No one is forcing you to got to a shrink. Go ahead and take all the pills they prescribe..Nobody is telling you not to to go to a therapist

Edited by mrnova