Vegan/vegetarian hairloss

I grew up drinking a lot of milk, eating a lot of yoghurt and meat every day.

My mom wanted us to finish our veggies and meats and didn't really worry about the carbs. If we couldn't finish em, she didn't mind.

2 years ago I decided to become a vegetarian. After that I became vegan.

Now I fish or chicken ocassionally. But not daily.

I take supplements in vitamin B12, iodine, Biotine and vitamin D.

So here's the deal: I have thinner and less hair than before. Much less, and much thinner...

I read that this is common with vegetarians. But I just want my hair back, and I think I taking in all nutrients I need...

What to do?

Anybody else who's had this?

I'm seriously considering adding yoghurt or something to my diet again just so that my hair grows back the way it was!

amaysngrace

I think it's due to something else and not being vegetarian. When's the last time your doctor ordered bloodwork?

I don't think its because you're vegetarian, but it could be the result of a deficiency.

• Author

I should go and get my blood checked....last time was 2 years ago I believe..

Due to what deficiency could this have happened?

amaysngrace
Due to what deficiency could this have happened?

Iron or zinc maybe but that's why you need to get your blood done.

Clarence_Boddicker

I've been following a vegan diet for almost 4 years. No issues with my hair.

Most supplements are junk. Take something decent like RAW brand. Drink at least 3/4 gal of water daily. Eat a good balance, with enough healthy fats & complex carbs.

Get your hormone levels checked. Too much testosterone can cause alopecia in females. Make sure your scalp pores are not clogged. Vigorously stimulate your scalp with your finger tips a few times a day. Don't wash your hair daily. Avoid sulfates & non water soluble silicones. Don't damage your follicles by tension from tight dos. Try caffeine scalp rinses to stimulate your follicles. Try Monistat on your scalp to block follicle killing DHT.

• Like 1
loveweary11

Stress can also cause temporary, passing alopecia, especially in females.

Arieswoman

Sercay,

I doubt very much if going veggie will cause hair loss - unless it is part of a crash diet.

Please get an appt with your medical advisor and have this checked out. The sooner you do this the sooner they can start to treat it.

regine_phalange

Are you a lady? If yes, it could be hormonal... Also, are you stressed? I know some women who experienced hair loss in times of persisting stress.

• Author

I'm a woman, yes, but I'm not stressed...

What I do have, however, is weight gain...I suspect that my hormones might have changed due to weight gain!

I'm going to lose the weight first, and see if my hair gets thicker and fuller again. Simultaneously some bloodwork from GP.

lollipopspot
I'm seriously considering adding yoghurt or something to my diet again just so that my hair grows back the way it was!

I've been vegan for a very long time and I think it's great that you're exploring it.

There's nothing in yogurt that that you can't get in a plant food that would help your hair grow. Think of it systematically like that. If there's some nutrient you think you are missing, you can get it in a plant food or supplement. There's nothing the human body needs to get from animal products that you can't get elsewhere.

I second the bloodwork suggestion. Could be related to stress, hormones, nutrition, heredity, illness. A whole host of causes.

I've been vegan for a very long time and I think it's great that you're exploring it.

There's nothing in yogurt that that you can't get in a plant food that would help your hair grow. Think of it systematically like that. If there's some nutrient you think you are missing, you can get it in a plant food or supplement. There's nothing the human body needs to get from animal products that you can't get elsewhere.

As a meat eater, I've tried to go vegan but I can't give up eating fish, eggs or meat. I don't eat much dairy, and am trying to increase my intake of nuts, vegetables, but not grains because I just found out I have a gluten allergy. But now that I know about the poisons put into chicken and steak, I am hesitant to eat them at all. I know liver has a lot of iron in it, but yeck!

But I do think you're correct in that plant food may help solve the hair loss problem. Food is healing. I've experienced this first-hand so I know that it's true. The less processed food you eat, the better you feel.

I think supplements are fine but like lollipop suggests, eat more organic foods if you can because that may solve your hair-loss problem.

• Author

To add, I do eat organic... all foods in my home, except for when I eat take out and candy, are organic, I also eat a lottt of veggies and fruits...I do lack in the nuts and seeds area as I just don't like the taste...

To add, I do eat organic... all foods in my home, except for when I eat take out and candy, are organic, I also eat a lottt of veggies and fruits...I do lack in the nuts and seeds area as I just don't like the taste...

Definitely get bloodwork done. Hormonal imbalances like polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause hair loss in women because it's an endocrine disorder. Glad that you already eat organic. Makes me think your problem is hormonal if you already eat healthy but your doctor knows best.

It's worth having a thyroid check as that can cause hair loss.

I had my hair falling out a lot for a while and got concerned. Went to doc's, had blood test which showed zinc was low. I had a course of effervescent zinc tablets and the hair stopped falling out, or rather fell out at a normal rate rather than filling up my hairbrush regularly!